GMC Jam Discussion The Cosy GMC Jam 39 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

THEME:

Pathetic Creature

The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community. This is the 39th such jam.

Members compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 96 hours.

GMC Jam 39 will take place on the following dates:

November 26th, 2020 12:00 UTC - November 30th, 2020 12:00 UTC
(Countdown Clock)

Enter in the Games Topic

• Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game.​
  • Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on November 26th and 12:00 UTC on November 30th, and posted in the games topic.
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.​
  • You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!​
  • All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 12:00 UTC on November 30th.​
  • All entries should work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5 and on other platforms, but most voters will be using Windows and therefore your entry should work primarily on windows in order to secure a decent amount of feedback.​
  • All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!​
  • You may participate alone or in a team of up to 3 members. See the "teams" section below if you're looking for teammates.​
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Games Topic when it opens!

• As soon as the Jam ends on November 30th at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.​
  • Voters will then have just over 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on December 18th at 9:00 UTC.​
  • Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.​
  • Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.​
Boring technical info about how the votes are counted: Entries receive points based on where each voter ranked them, following the formula 1/(rank+1). So if a voter puts a game 1st, it gets 0.5 points. If a voter puts a game 6th, it gets ~0.143 points. These are all added up by the Jam Host to find the overall rank for each game.

That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!

Main Prizes​
  • The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.​
  • The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalised banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.​
  • More to be confirmed...​

Community Prizes

Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @GameDevDan , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam.​

You may enter the GMC Jam as part of a team (up to 3 members). Sometimes collaborating as part of a team can help you to e-meet new and interesting people. Here we will list people looking for teammates. If you want to be added to the list, send me @GameDevDan , a private message with the skills you are offering.​
  • @LucasTheNewbie - I'm looking for a Game Jam Team. I'm a sound designer and music composer. Also I can help with concept ideas.​
  • EXAMPLE: ( Member ) is a ( Skill ) looking for a ( Other Skill )...​

The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!

You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam:

Signature Image:

BB Code:
Code:
[url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-cosy-gmc-jam-39-discussion-topic.80459/][img]https://i.imgur.com/8N6CdDq.png[/img][/url]

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
EDIT: Also, I am most likely going to stream my playthrough of the entries again, so I would love to hear what times of the day would suit different people.
For me, it would be around from 9:00 UTC to 21:00 UTC. I work remotely most of the time, so I can adapt. ^^

I wonder whether I'll team up again this time or not; if I do team up, I'll probably focus on graphics again.
I suppose it also depends on whether I find the theme inspiring or not, and what kind of genre it would apply to.

Bart

WiseBart
I'm in for sure!

EDIT: Also, I am most likely going to stream my playthrough of the entries again, so I would love to hear what times of the day would suit different people.
That'd be very interesting!
I barely missed your live playthrough of my entry last time. Found the feedback very useful.
I'm in UTC+1 here. No real limits here except perhaps past midnight.

I may have a try at video playthroughs myself this time. But we'll see...

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

Im a programmer willing to work with a team, :p
ask Cloaked Games about my "experience" or if he wants to partner up again

Working with @HayManMarc :p

Last edited:

Gizmo199

Okay! Let's do it! Only thing that sucks is I will basically lose 2 days of this. :( imma try and do something small I guess

Selek

Hmm, Thursday, November 26 is Thanksgiving in the United States. That's one of our biggest holidays, and I certainly won't be doing any coding on Thanksgiving Day, which is a family time with cooking and eating. On the other hand, many people also have that Friday off, so it might mean you'll get more entrants rather than fewer. So maybe it's a good thing.

Still, the timing seems a bit peculiar to me. I doubt you'd schedule a jam for Christmas Day, and for many people in the US, the Thanksgiving holiday is second in importance only to Christmas.

Mercerenies

Hmm, Thursday, November 26 is Thanksgiving in the United States. That's one of our biggest holidays, and I certainly won't be doing any coding on Thanksgiving Day, which is a family time with cooking and eating.
Yeah, we run up against this every year. I always miss the November Jam for this reason, and I likely will skip this one as well. Unfortunate, but you can't accommodate everybody, I suppose.

SoapSud39

I always miss the November Jam for this reason
I thought I might miss this jam too for that reason, but I've persuaded my family to let me shirk going home that weekend (not like we were going to do anything for Thanksgiving anyway). Fortunate thing too is that Thanksgiving means I get break from classes Thursday and Friday.

excitement

Selek

Yeah, we run up against this every year. I always miss the November Jam for this reason, and I likely will skip this one as well. Unfortunate, but you can't accommodate eeverybody, I suppose.
Yep, I get that. I'll probably miss it too, but it sounds like it's actually a more convenient time than usual for some people, so it's all good.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Yeah the autumn jam used to be the end of October, but the jams all got displace by a month at some point in history so now the autumn jam is in November.

Like you say it's a tough balance to strike because some people are with family all of thanksgiving weekend and can't participate.... but then some others may not get much time off work but they are free on thanksgiving and can use that to enter the jam.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Yeah, with the previous dates setup winter Jam collided with Global Game Jam - which also excluded some people from it - and also each GMC Jam shortly followed GM48 Jam, which would have people choose between the two or enter GMC Jam tired after GM48.

Thanksgiving Day collision is somewhat unfortunate, but then again it's US-specific and I doubt there's a (uniform-ish) Jam cycle that wouldn't collide with other prominent jams and/or holidays. Had it been December, we'd in turn have the Jam in the middle of usually pretty involved Christmas time instead.

Another possible option is to shift November Jams - or all Jams - to the second-last weekend instead of the last weekend of the month, but it'd probably cause some confusion down the line and still wouldn't guarantee people wouldn't get yet another commitments/holidays for these. ^^'

This lands on my birthday so it's a maybe for me. Sounds pretty nark but I might just ask for some jam snacks and to be left alone for my birthday :banana: lol

Gizmo199

I should be able to do late thursday, though midday saturday and maybe a bit sunday. We will just have to see. Guess it depends on the theme and if I can come up with an idea quick

Toque

Will the topic appear on this thread?
a new thread will be made with the topic and people will submit games there.

I’m pretty sure he posts it here as well. ( correct next if I’m wrong). People will be trying to guess the theme here as well.

Gizmo199

Hmm new letter huh? P...
- Paranoid
- Pleasure
- Plothole

Paranoid / monsters
Pleasure / mechanic
Plothole / politics

Bart

WiseBart
Hm. When did that P arrive there?

Here goes...