GMC Jam Discussion The Classic GMC Jam 32 - 8 year anniversary

B

Baukereg

Making progress. Somehow I can't add images in the games thread, probably because I registered just yesterday. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GVmG

I have managed to get the camera working, god I hate the new camera system when it comes to making something quickly for a jam
on the bright side, elon musk is my debug sprite

ghandpivot

My game is DONE!
Clocked in 24h of worktime on it. Now I just need to come up with a punny name :)
Here is basically the plot of the game!

B

Baukereg

Me: "I should use my time as efficient as possible during game jams."

Also me: spending two hours playing around with particle effects.

O.Stogden

@Baukereg and @BraydeeJohnson

Just so you know, posts in the "off-topic" sections of the forum do not count towards your post count.

On Game Jam note, last 24 hours! I'm quickly throwing together an AI as I just realized I hadn't made it yet! FUN!

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
22 hours to go! Remember, if you live in a time zone where you will be asleep at 12:00 UTC on February 25th, get your download link in the topic before it closes!

I'd rather not have 100 PMs from people who just missed out ;P

Smiechu

Sorry everybody... I give up this time!
Couple of strange bugs ate to much time and additionally I've cached a flu...

Maybe next time!

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
LAWD! Dat was moar difficult dan expected!

I'd like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank Allie and Dan for pushing me so hard to enter a genuine game this time.
All too often I fall into the tired old trap of cobbling together a last minute "joek gaem".
But not this time. No sirree bob.
I put a lot of heart and soul, blood, sweat, tears and quite possibly a kitchen sink into this one.
And I think the many hours I spent fine tuning this one really shows.

ENJOY!

Looking forward to all those *glowing reviews!*

C

Caoin Forde

Hi everyone! It took all weekend and little sleep but I'm nearly finished my very first proper game! (ever!) Where do i go about posting it ? I'm not quite sure what was meant by " the Games Topic". Is that just this thread? Thanks!

C

Caoin Forde

Apologies for the lack of a Dev log. Very glad to present "The Conquest of Castlecrest". Its a bullet-hell inspired game with a medieval twist. Hope you all enjoy! So glad to have taken part. No download link as of yet, still have a tiny bit of tweaking left to do.

Attachments

The M

Hi everyone! It took all weekend and little sleep but I'm nearly finished my very first proper game! (ever!) Where do i go about posting it ? I'm not quite sure what was meant by " the Games Topic". Is that just this thread? Thanks!
It's this thread. Add a post with a download link to the game. You'll need to host the game yourself, for example using dropbox.

Micah_DS

Looks like I'll only get to review this time again, as I'm just getting over being sick for nearly 2 weeks. Man that hit me hard.
Too bad, cuz I came up with a concept I actually liked where the goal would be to make various feats of climbing in a turn-based strategic style of gameplay.

Sorry everybody... I give up this time!
Couple of strange bugs ate to much time and additionally I've cached a flu...

Maybe next time!
Ugh, man, as someone who just got over that kind of crap, I really feel for ya. I sincerely hope you get through it quickly.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
3.5 hour klaxon! You have 3.5 hours to finish your entry and get a download link in the topic

Bingdom

Googledom
Aaand Submitted!

I gotta say, this was very enjoyable to make. Especially how well things went together. I also noticed that I worked a lot faster compared to my other jam entries. My new laptop helps!

The M

Phew, finally done! This was an interesting entry to make, to say the least, but I think it turned out pretty okay.:)

C

Caoin Forde

so i made my post in the correct thread on time but it needs to be verified by moderators before everyone else can see it. I still made it right :confused:?

M

Misty

One thing I forgot to mention...when someone grabs a key they are shown on radar as Purple.

Relic

I did it - it is a "whole" game, but not very polished. I may have *ahem* taken a sickie from work today as I was really engaged with the project - those last 6 hours made the difference.

King of the Ant Hill

Wrecked now though. Off to bed. Better pace myself with the reviews.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Finally locked the Games topic! Gave ya all a good few hours for the last bunch of stragglers ;) the zip will be coming soon!

The M

Cool, I just noticed a fatal bug in my entry that crashes the game. Fingers crossed you won't come across it! :)

D

devingame

We didn't get to finish ours, but all the projects out here look great. I'll just leave this here. It was supposed to be a different take on the word conquest. "Conquering/Conquest of fear" sort of.

curato

We didn't get to finish ours, but all the projects out here look great. I'll just leave this here. It was supposed to be a different take on the word conquest. "Conquering/Conquest of fear" sort of.
I was going to do something kind of in that realm too. I had the code pretty done just the amount of art and shaders and effects I wanted it was way too much for one weekend.

M

Misty

Funny business. I was looking at VICTORY gif by @CardinalCoder64. And listening to synthwave in the background. And it fit so perfeclty then I realized it was just a gif lol.

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

We're really pretty happy with the game in the end. This has definitely felt like the first time where we managed to get the spread of the workload right and cut down the game's scope well!

"I'd Move Mountains" is a game based on 'the successful ascent of a mountain' - one of the less used definitions of conquest.
We wanted to create a simple, reasonably calm platforming puzzle. This was both for development simplicity and to hone in on the idea of you vs the mountain without hampering the experience with enemies or specific obstacles. This also provided incentive to limit the player mechanics so that they could be controlled with arrow input only, and would restrict the speed with which you could tackle the game.

We look forward to reviewing all of the games, and are super keen to hear the feedback for our next jam, or for any future endeavours with this game. :)

Thanks for a great time everybody!

Bingdom

Googledom
Hey, just a small note on mine. Muting music only works when you enter the first door (the second music track). I initially wrote that on the readme, but I removed it by accident at some point.

T

TinyGamesLab

Thanks for the feed back @Alice ! It is feedback like this that makes all of us improve!

Some of the things mentioned, like a game end screen, I knew were missing but did not have the time to do it. Others I did not notice were missing, so the feedback is great!
Most importantly is that you enjoyed playing against the AI. Up until 30min before submitting the AI was either too dumb or too aggressive. I was not able to play the full game with the "final" version of the AI before submitting. In retrospect, coding an AI for a puzzle game is not something I would like to do again for a game Jam this short.

Posted the first batch of my reviews! Game authors in the order of playing (and also in the order of reviews in the spoiler box):
#1 - @TinyGamesLab
#2 - @Arabong
#3 - @EvanSki
#4 - @Bart
#5 - @Dengar
#6 - @Bingdom

Also, when downloading entries yesterday, I somehow assumed "Super Pancratio" is the author name rather than part of the title, and only now I've realised my mistake. >.<

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Nice constructive feedback there Alice, happy to see that!
*Hopefully* I can scrape together enough time over the next 2 weeks to play and review and vote on all the games.
Great job everyone!

A

Arabong

Posted the first batch of my reviews! Game authors in the order of playing (and also in the order of reviews in the spoiler box):
#1 - @TinyGamesLab
#2 - @Arabong
#3 - @EvanSki
#4 - @Bart
#5 - @Dengar
#6 - @Bingdom

Also, when downloading entries yesterday, I somehow assumed "Super Pancratio" is the author name rather than part of the title, and only now I've realised my mistake. >.<
Hey, thanks for the review!
Sadly I started working on the game late, on Saturday, and that's mainly why the game didn't have much content. >_<
I also spent a lot of time trying to decide if to make the levels procedural, and how. Curse me Pancratio!