GMC Jam Discussion The Classic GMC Jam 32 - 8 year anniversary

I think that makes up for part of the excitement. I'm going to sleep through the first few hours of it being known to the world, so smarter people than myself will have a head start on their idea boards.

ghandpivot

Interesting turn of events, seems contrast and conflict is off the table.
I'd put my money on conquest or constant, both are reasonable themes.

Last edited:
G

GVmG

CONQUEST huh

That's very video-game-y and plain, but I can probably work something out from it that isn't just the military kind of conquest. Time to brainstorm.

curato

CONQUEST huh

That's very video-game-y and plain, but I can probably work something out from it that isn't just the military kind of conquest. Time to brainstorm.
Yeah any overcoming of a problem or weakness is conquest by the definition not just a military deal. I will likely just do the game I was going to do anyway as I have no interest in doing a military game when most of the submission will likely be a military game.

ghandpivot

Already have a dilemma. In the create event, I want to do physics_apply_impulse(x,y,xforce,yforce) but I see no difference if xforce is set to 1000 or 1000000000000. Why could that be? It's the only object in the room and it only has that one line of code. Physics is on and all parameters are default.

Ralucipe

I have no interest in doing a military game when most of the submission will likely be a military game.
I encourage people to think more creatively than simply “military” with this theme. I think that there are a lot of different directions you could take it besides just a Risk clone. If it helps, imagine that the theme is “Takeover” (as far as I’m concerned, it’s synonymous to Conquest) and work from there.

Furthermore I disagree that “overcoming a problem” qualifies as inclusion of the theme (at least, that is how I will be voting).

Good luck everyone!

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Theme interpretation always seems to be a sticking point in these Jams.
Quite a few times in the past I've seen games scores/positions reduced because they didn't interpret the theme literally, and as most people think of the word...
which imo sucks.
I encourage everyone to try to think outside the box a little here!

I mean, I'd say this was a golden opportunity for any romantic novelist type peeps to enter a small love interest "visual novel" type game...
CONQUEST:
a person whose affection or favour has been won.
"she was someone he could display before his friends as his latest conquest"

or a great chance to do something neat involving scaling up mountain peaks...
CONQUEST:
the successful ascent of a mountain, especially one not previously climbed.
"the conquest of Everest"

Don't limit yourself to just "military conquest" people!
*gets back to crafting madcap adventure and devouring Whispa bars*

ghandpivot

I cracked my physics problem. Took almost 2 hours to make a bullet shoot forwards, huge waste of time.
Turns out Box2D has a built in limit on maxspeed in the physics room and it is way too low. In order to work around it one must adjust the pixels to meters to simulate a faster moving object, as any forces that would push an object above that limit are negated. I'd much rather see that the simulation just got buggy.

NightFrost

Huh, so conquest. Straight hack&slash or shooter is not something I'd like to do for this. A management/strategy approach would need a competent AI opponent to be worthwhile, which I'm not prepared to attempt in a 96-hour timeframe. This leaves trying to come up with a less direct approach to the theme. A rote VN would be one way as suggested above, but having to write a branching script, do the art, and code it too, a realistic goal might be about 15 minute game length (longer if you do typewriter effect and disallow text skipping).

G

GVmG

So I guess I have some kind of idea

Gonna need a bit more art than usual, but I think I can do this

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
(noob) Can we use free assets like from freesound.org? Or do we need to make all our assets on our own?

O.Stogden

(noob) Can we use free assets like from freesound.org? Or do we need to make all our assets on our own?
GameDevDan said:
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.
I would take that to mean yes you can use them, but primarily it should be your own work, and primarily done on the weekend. But if you have old assets laying around, you can throw them in here and there to save remaking the exact same sprites you would use anyway.

Zodaris

Upon seeing the theme, this was the first thing that popped into my head, hahaha.

I'm not sure If I'll have time to make an entry this jam, which is a shame since I really like the theme (even if it's difficult to think outside the box and we'll get a lot of same-y games.). Been wanting to make something in the RTS genre for a while, so if I can make time, that'll be perfect here.

Thought on thinking outside of the box for this one: It'll be very difficult to come up with a context that isn't military based, so another thing you can do is to do something with gameplay genres. I mentioned RTS and that is a very standard one. There's also turn-based, match-3, visual novel, RPG, Action, etc. Heck something that could be a much more fun way to think outside the box is instead to think of how to bend a genre that typically wouldn't be used for this theme, and make it work. Like a puzzle game, or point-and-click. Themes like this really open up the possibility to go crazy with the mechanics, because the context of what you're making is already there and you don't need to spend time figuring out how you want to interpret it.

G

GVmG

Plan C: since I can't find any *clever* idea with Con Quest, I'll just drop back to Conquest and do my classic: scrolling shooter!

But I do have a plan to make it more than just Hidden Bullet 2, and to fit Conquest in more than just "it's a war".

Third logo.

EDIT: I somehow managed to make this fit in the same worldbuild/universe as Hidden Bullet. God damn it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NightFrost

I've taken several stabs at the theme now and seems I'm on a dry spell as I can't come up with anything worthwhile [that can be finished by Monday]. Except the combat approach, which I already said I don't want to do as it is too obvious use of the theme. Once my thoughts started circling back and back and back to it, from "map painter" where army clashes resolve with match3 mechanic, to fortress builder/defense game, to "Kill Everyone Project" take 2 (an old collaborative internet clicker game where players had to kill everyone on Earth by clicking a total of 6+ billion times)... I decided to stop.

V

Vinians

Hello friends, I will try to do something!
Game name: Drop the King
Donload: none

S

SamSam

Day 1.1 Thought of something that isnt that unique, but givin me a good vibe, gonna do it lol.
Day 1.2 Changed my mind, realized idea was possibly hard. Gave up on jam and quit.
Day 1.3 More new ideas, all are generic, giving up.
Day 1.4 Unquit jam, have new idea, forgot new idea so much try to remember what it was.
Day 1.5 Idea remembered, beginning to proceed to build.
Best devlog already !

G

GVmG

I now have a mecha sprite
upload_2019-2-23_2-36-42.png

imma go sleep, will rework some details about it tomorrow and turn it into the 3 other directions I need. It's already divided in left/right leg, left/right arm, chest, hips and head (I plan on doing a very, very basic animation). Not quite sure what to do with the face just yet, might just leave it blank.

S

SamSam

Just finished the main control panels of the game !
samsam1.png

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Oh crap oh crap oh crap the jam started and I wasn't even home. Guess I won't be entering this time.