• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo The Chosen One (Alpha) [HOW LONG WILL YOU LAST?]

J

Josh Arnold

At the moment, "The Chosen One" is nothing more than a test room game to see how long you can keep your fully customized character alive. There are 8 skills you can choose to advance, each providing its own advantage to your survival. The game is unforgiving though, If you get your character in a sticky situation, you might find yourself ending the game and having to start from the beginning. There are many ways to approach the challenges ahead of you, but you may find it a bit difficult to overcome them sometimes.

I don't want this game to be just about survival though, I want the player to trek across vast landscapes with a goal in mind. The player will obtain quests, complete puzzles, and interact with npc's in a way that gives a sense of progression and life to the long journey ahead.

In "The Chosen One," you are immortal when you are close to your revival crystal. The crystal holds magical powers that can bring you and your allies back to life upon death. As long as you have the crystal with you or are near by, you can enter a ghostly form and come back to continue the fight.

Games are often short lived and you will likely die many times before you get a hang of the current skill system dynamics and controls. Many things need polishing, but you will usually find yourself not blaming the game when you lose.

CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION

There are many enemies now in the game which are imported directly from the games own character creation system. This means I can easily add new enemies, simply by adding art and configuring their look in the editor. This also means if you make something awesome, you should share it with me, because it could end up in the game itself!

***You can find your character files in &appdata& in the game's directory.

ABILITIES

I began working on a powerup / special ability system, and have a pretty solid foundation in place. There's even several that you can try out if you are able to reach the level requirements before you end up dead. You will find a fireball and one other spell, as well as ways to construct ladders and doors with your building skill. You may also scroll through to see what other abilities I have planned, as well as their level requirements.

BOSSES
Alpha 2.2 Introduces a big milestone for development. On the right side of the map you will find the new dragon boss. He is powerful and will wreck your fortress. Be sure to come prepared or you might not make it out.

GAMEPLAY
The gameplay will have many different aspects, focusing on the feel of a Sidescrolling RPG Adventure. But will introduce elements of tower/castle defense in special parts of the story. You will have to slay many epic bosses during your adventure, and cross many landscapes. While you do this, your character will level up, and unlock new abilities/powers, and find ways to make money to buy new gear. The clock is ticking though, each day, the enemies become more evil and powerful, so the game will need to be completed with some strategy and no delay.

There will be many ways to fight off enemies, from simply mowing them down with your escalating power, to laying traps and defenses, or letting your team do the dirty work. You can make a base, and grind for XP, but be warned, the days will go by, so its a good idea to be on the move regularly.

MASSIVE WORLD
The world of "The Chosen One" will be vast and will harbor many various biomes, towns, and dungeons. Some areas are for exploring, some for defending, and some for executing attacks on evil lairs/castles.
The map will be linear in a sense, but have Labyrinths and Dungeons that you can enter, for quests or just to explore. Certain quests will require you to backtrack and revisit locations. Luckily, you will unlock powers that can make getting around a lot easier.

EVENTS
In the beginning and randomly in 1 in 10 days, an Eclipse will occur, which results in more enemies during the day when it would normally be peaceful. There will be other events like this that will be random or follow a schedule based on region. Events like these will give the game extra variety and suspense

Alpha 1.6:
From serious optimizations resulting in much higher FPS and a smoother game, to an entire ability system now in place. There's only a few abilities, but more will soon be added. We now have ladders and AI are less stupid (They're still really dumb and need work.) Good looking artwork is also now making it's way into the game with the new tree images and animation. And of course quite a few bug fixes!

New things to play with:
*Fireballs
*Earthquake
*Ladders
*New spell particles
*New Tree Texture and Animation
*Improved Fast Forward Control
*Buttery Smooth Gameplay

HOW LONG CAN YOU SURVIVE???

DOWNLOAD DEMO HERE!
At the moment, There is only one area, a sort of test room! Please test it and let me know all about the bugs I know are riddled throughout.
https://josh-arnold.itch.io/the-chosen-one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After all of this, I want to emphasize that this is my first full length game ever, and I am currently in control of 100% of all tasks. From music, to coding, to artwork. Hopefully with a kickstarter later next year, I will be able to focus more time on the project and hire professionals to help with some of the other processes.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Linkforce

Man this character customization is gold even as it is right now.

"Yes. I'm the chosen one."

Here's the feedback I have!
Bugs:
-When I got game over, there were 2 coins under me, and they kept moving towards the right(or towards the crystal perhaps...).
-My partner/ally from the start picked up a wand, and it's in front of the quest book.
-There were sometimes my attacks just didn't hit someone.
-Every now and then, gravity bugs out, and I sit in the air for a moment.
-The health, and many other things can go into the negatives for half a second.
Suggestions:
-A random button for the appearance of the character, could be interesting. Just randomize all the values and see what it come up with.
-(I'm sure this on your to do list, but still) I was clueless about what I was doing for a while, like unsure of what the different bars at the bottom meant, or if I was even doing damage(enemies seem to have a lot of health.) So more explanation would really be nice.
-There's just a lot of screenshaking going on, and for this reason I couldn't play for too long, so I think a screenshake slider would be wonderful.
-When you lose the crystal and die, give the player a final look at their stats. That way they could know how far they made it, and how their stats were.
-Character Customization seems to be a big part, so maybe you could add in an option to let the player save their custom characters? Then the player won't have to keep going through all the sliders and trying to their favorite character again.
Overall, I'm liking the start of this game, it could definitely use some polishing in certain aspects, like sound and fixing bugs, but I'm looking forward to this game, man. Good job on creating what you have so far!

B

BearlyBros

The game was really fun and I hope you keep working hard on it!
Also just from us playing your game, we've entered you into our weekly giveaway! We are playing 6 Game Maker games a week and then giving away a FREE Game Maker Studio game published on Steam (Eg Hotline Miami, Hyper Light Drfiter, etc) to a developer of one of the games we play!

J

Josh Arnold

The game was really fun and I hope you keep working hard on it!
Also just from us playing your game, we've entered you into our weekly giveaway! We are playing 6 Game Maker games a week and then giving away a FREE Game Maker Studio game published on Steam (Eg Hotline Miami, Hyper Light Drfiter, etc) to a developer of one of the games we play!
Thanks for playing! I really enjoyed your play through! There's a new update out that has some major fixes and some cool new things!

J

Josh Arnold

Man this character customization is gold even as it is right now.

"Yes. I'm the chosen one."

Here's the feedback I have!
Bugs:
-When I got game over, there were 2 coins under me, and they kept moving towards the right(or towards the crystal perhaps...).
-My partner/ally from the start picked up a wand, and it's in front of the quest book.
-There were sometimes my attacks just didn't hit someone.
-Every now and then, gravity bugs out, and I sit in the air for a moment.
-The health, and many other things can go into the negatives for half a second.
Suggestions:
-A random button for the appearance of the character, could be interesting. Just randomize all the values and see what it come up with.
-(I'm sure this on your to do list, but still) I was clueless about what I was doing for a while, like unsure of what the different bars at the bottom meant, or if I was even doing damage(enemies seem to have a lot of health.) So more explanation would really be nice.
-There's just a lot of screenshaking going on, and for this reason I couldn't play for too long, so I think a screenshake slider would be wonderful.
-When you lose the crystal and die, give the player a final look at their stats. That way they could know how far they made it, and how their stats were.
-Character Customization seems to be a big part, so maybe you could add in an option to let the player save their custom characters? Then the player won't have to keep going through all the sliders and trying to their favorite character again.
Overall, I'm liking the start of this game, it could definitely use some polishing in certain aspects, like sound and fixing bugs, but I'm looking forward to this game, man. Good job on creating what you have so far!
HAHA nice character man! There's a new update out with huge optimizations. I wasnt able to add any of the features you suggested quite yet, or fix all of the bugs you found. But I'll be getting to them soon. But I do like these points. You will see many of these changes made in future versions.

J

Josh Arnold

Just updated to 2.0, would love for more people to play this!