Forum Staff
Admin
Welcome to the GMC Jam #8 Games Topic!

THEME:
Boss Fighting Game

Rules​

Who?
  • any GMC member is welcome to participate in GMC Jam and submit their entry
  • each entry must be made by a single GMC member or a team of up to 3 people; people outside GMC can be in the team, as long as at least one GMC member is in that team
  • any version of GameMaker can be used to create an entry
  • each participant can make or contribute to as many entries as they want, but they can only claim rewards for one of them (unless the reward is given specifically for the entry)
  • each entry must have a single post in this Jam's games topic (opened once the Jam officially starts), and no two entries can share the same post
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry downloadable file

How?
  • each entry must have a single, its own post in this very topic; no two entries can share the same post
  • each post in this topic must be related to a single entry; the place for discussion is the discussion thread, not the games topic
  • the entry post can be used to present the entry progress, as well as a devlog
  • you are free to use any devlog format as long as you can make it work in a forum post
  • by the time the Jam ends, the entry post must contain a valid link to entry files to qualify
  • if you find this topic is closed and you cannot edit your entry anymore, DO PANIC because it means Jamming time ended and we have started wrapping up the ZIP; also, send me a message as soon as possible with a valid link to the entry, but chances are it will only make it into the late entries patch, not into the main ZIP, so please try your best to put up a download link on time

What?
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker (any version) specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
  • the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
  • the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available
  • the entry must not require admin privileges to run or mess with the system in any other way

Remember, as everywhere else, general Community Guidelines apply.

Recommended format​

To make things easier for participants, Jam host and the person who compiles the ZIP, guidelines about entry post and file structure has been prepared. It's not mandatory to follow, but it's recommended, as it keeps things organised and makes wrapping up entries easier.

The template in the spoiler below is suggested for entry post. If you have your own creative idea about it, by all means go for it, but please do include:
  • the game title
  • the list of team members and a team name; or just your own username if you go solo
  • the download link, clearly labeled as "DOWNLOAD"

Code:
[center][size=7]The Best Game Title in the World[/size]
[size=5]by [b]My Username[/b][/size]                        // if the game is made by one person
[size=5]by [b]Team XYZ[/b] (Xerxes, Yeti, Zed)[/size]       // if the game is made by a team
[size=5]by [b]Xerxes[/b], [b]Yeti[/b], [b]Zed[/b][/size]                         // if the team has no official name

[img]http://link-to-screenshot.com/[/img]           // if you have a screenshot
<no screenshot yet>                                 // if you don't

[size=6][url=http://download-link.net/]DOWNLOAD[/url][/size]        // if you have a playable version
<no download yet>                                                   // if you don't yet
    // you might also include additional download mirror links
    // or e.g. link to the game page or topic in Made with GameMaker
    // but the download should be the first link of all
[/center]

// after that, present the devlog however you like, within rules

Additionally, when you wrap up entry files to download, it is suggested that you:
  • make sure it's not an installer
  • make a folder called "Entry Title by Author", or "Entry Title by Team Name", or "Entry Title by Comma, Separated, Authors", put unpacked game file(s) directly in that folder, and ZIP the whole folder
  • add a 120x120px thumbnail that will be displayed by Jam Player, so that your game is recognised more easily
  • make a README file with credits, especially if you used external assets; files with README in name are recognized by Jam Player
  • if your README file is necessary to play the game (e.g. it includes the instructions not available in the game), call it README_PLEASE; if README is not required to play the game, please use the regular README
  • if there's some additional information you need the voter to know after they play the game, but before they vote, you might make an AFTERWORD file (also recognized by Jam Player); there you might mention cheat codes, explain the use of theme if it's not obvious or revealed at the late point in the game etc.
  • if you still have some time, playtest the game and send it to your little dog, too; there are few things ruining the experience more effectively than crashes!
  • make sure it's not an installer, just once again for a good measure

Once again, following these guidelines is not obligatory, but it'll be appreciated.

Now let the Jamming commence!

Last edited:

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

by Team Flob (Dan and @NAL )

DOWNLOAD (itchio)

Day 1, 13:02 BST, 00:02 JAM TIME, 00:00 WORK TIME
First post! Just learned of the theme and now in the ideas & planning stage :p

Day 1, 14:18 BST, 01:18 JAM TIME, 01:16 WORK TIME - IMAGE
I've teamed up with @NAL to create this entry! I'll be doing the programming and the art, NAL is cobbling together some music and sound effects to go with it! We may make some enemies with this game but we thought WHY NOT.

Day 1, 17:00 BST, 04:00 JAM TIME, 03:58 WORK TIME - IMAGE

NAL has made fantastic progress on the music, it's sounding really good! Still a bit of sound design to go though. I've just this second finished all of the graphics for the game (there aren't that many TBH) which you can see a sneak preview of in the image above. That's it for both of us today, looking forward to spending some time Saturday & Sunday getting the programming and level design done! Peace out.

Day 2, 12:30 BST, 23:30 JAM TIME, 06:18 WORK TIME - IMAGE
NAL has finished all the music and almost finished gathering all the sound effects we need for the game. I spent an hour this morning loading all of the graphics into the gmx and I've started on the engine as you can see in the GIF above. We're really steaming ahead with this and making good progress! :D

Day 2, 18:15 BST, 29:15 JAM TIME, 11:03 WORK TIME - IMAGE
NAL has completely finished his side of the bargain, the music and sound effects are sounding excellent and they've all been loaded into the project. Now been working on programming the pre-boss cutscene. The first little bit of a level before you bump into the boss is playable, then the boss fight constitutes the rest of the game. See the GIF above for progress.

Day 4, 09:15 BST, 68:15 JAM TIME, 20:00 WORK TIME
And we're done! I really wanted to keep on top of the devlog this time around so you guys would know what we were up to - but yesterday I was just so engrossed in programming! Anyway, the game is finished and you can grab it on itch here https://gamedevdan.itch.io/gammon-princess

Last edited:
BIG BAD BOSS FIGHT!
by IndianaBones

DOWNLOAD

upload_2018-5-28_6-45-46.png

upload_2018-5-26_3-4-8.png

2 Hours spent - and I have no idea what I am making. So far a bunch of programmer art squares are trying to kill a programmer art face. Twin-stick shooter style.

Still 2 Hours spent - No time to work on game today. Plotting in my head how to bring Boss theme into this equation.
Not had a great deal of time to work on this, so wrapped it up quickly with some quick gameplay and loss/win screens. Finished!

Last edited:

Cat

Bullet Overtime
By Cat & var

Presenting our latest game "Bullet Overtime", complete with a customarily picture-less post and suspicious download link!

Download

Devlog:
0:00 - Jam start, I'm on four hours sleep, let's go!

3:00 - Just kicked my chair (accidentally!), and that pretty much sums up how things are going

6:30 - sometime before now we decided to change how the game works and its probably for the best but everything is kinda a blur adn

7:00 i actually did the code wowee

8:40 - i think we're starting now??? this whole jam thing makes no sense and i am very confuse.d

8:41 - i just realized i forgot the dash in 7:00's entry and i'm gonna leave it that way just so i can make this entry

7:53 - I'm waiting on var to do his thing, so figured I'd say something here. I always look forward to the Jam because it's an excuse to listen to music while programming. in the past 8 (wow already?) hours, I've listened to... 2 songs.

7:54 - also I just realized that I marked the earlier entries as 8 when they were supposed to be 7. just hope that my code makes more sense than this devlog

8:34 - coding is like, really hard

8:35 - im stupid

8:36 - coding is like, really easy

12:00 - 12 hour mark!

13:00 - PSA: Do stuff besides jamming, people! Walking is good!!

14:00 - i should probably let var say some things, so i'll pass the devlog on over to him. im not gonna bother saying who wrote each entry, it should be obvious :p

14:05 - I figured out that buffers are basically Java/C-style arrays (with cursors), though the wrapping version is quite useful. Pretty good timing.

14:06 - nerd.

19:15 - You thought me gone, did you not? Finally gonna call it a night. var and I got most of the framework done, so the next few days should be smooth sailing. There are a few big problems looming, but hey, that's what the next 2 days are for!

28:30 - aaaand we're back! I'm working on the menu for now, then moving on to some gameplay things. var's working on the graphics. All in all, things are going well!

28:52 - I'm flooring something that should be an integer and yet it's changing something. I always wished GLSL had a way to print to console.

30:10 - mmm fonts

33:05 - Just finished coding some stuff with the buffers that made my brain hurt. I think it may be time for a break, I'll get back to coding later.

33:06 - i just accidentally broke everything

33:49 - we're nearly halfway though the Jam and just got the first working gameplay done.

41:15 - so it's been 8.5 hours and we still only have a few seconds of gameplay, but the few seconds look a lot nicer than they used to, so... worth?

45:00 - So we're still severely lacking in the "it being an actual game you can play"-department, but I'm fairly happy with it so far. I think the rest of the time I spend working will be focused on the gameplay. also sleep is good so everyone please dont forget to do some of that

65:45 - the non-game parts of the game are mostly done! var tells me that i messed up my job of writing the devlog (45:00 ==> 55:00), but no one has to know. all that's left is actual gameplay (we have a few seconds so far!), but then we're done!

59:05 - we now have a full minute of gameplay (approximately, im just guessing here), so there's something. hopefully the rest of the work should be relatively quick, but i said that an uncountable number of hours ago (40?) and look how that went.

59:09 - this devlog is a mess. var told me it was 65 but it wasnt. eh. there's a lot of work left and not much time....... im off to get some milk

Last edited:
B

BrandonC

Mr Quack
By: BrandonC
Screenshot:

DOWNLOAD
*Game Devlog*

Made some progress on my character here is a preview
I started off by doing some character sketches to help get the idea rolling. Once i had a basic idea i started to set up the basic movement with placeholder sprites. once the basic controls were all sorted i started to animate the character and design the different "armor" types.
Animations:

I then went on to design my first Boss an animate them to add in the game

That was the end of day one .

Day 2 was alot more productive than day 1 i managed to add a new boss with all animations included asell as set up the main menu and first cut scene. I had started to brainstorm tile sets for the rooms but couldn't come up with anything successful.

Last edited by a moderator:

dphsw

BOSS OF ALL BOSSES

DOWNLOAD LINK

HTML5 Version

Devlog:
Looking up some of the more obscure meanings of the word 'boss', I've come up with an idea now that seems at least possible without being objectionable or self-contradictory. (Self-contradictory because a game can't be a boss fighting game in the classic sense - a boss can only be a boss by contrast to the other enemies who aren't bosses, since if all the enemies are bosses then they aren't bosses, they're just regular enemies, by definition.) I'm ready to start programming.
An impromptu family outing was decided upon for yesterday, taking up the main day I'd thought I'd spend working on this, but I've still got most of the idea done. One of the concepts there isn't going to be time to implement, and the title screen is going to be pretty basic, but for a day or two it isn't bad. FeetUpGaming has made a character sprite for the game, and I've made the other graphics using shaders, and I quite like the look of it, though if I'd have had longer I'd have placed some rocks by the edge of the road to make it look more clearly like a road.
And here's a screenshot of how it's ended up. It has a lose condition now (though not really a win condition, which is a pet peeve of mine in games, but I'll tolerate it in such a quickly cobbled together game), namely the road getting too bumpy as rocks (or 'bosses' - look it up) come up through the ground. Theoretically the lose condition should have been if any cars had crashes driving along the road due to your not flattening it out in time, but due to losing the Saturday I didn't have time to implement that mechanic. I'll be leaving it until tomorrow to make the title screen, so it's pretty close as it is. The character is supposed to be a boss - the boss in charge of the boss situation, hence the name. I thought of changing the name to 'Bosses bosses boss boss bosses', but one can probably have too many boss puns. (That is to say, a leader that small rock formations boss around, bosses around those rocks - or, a boss that bosses boss, bosses those bosses.)

I've made the title screen and put together the zip file, and tuned the difficulty a bit - there's a bit of randomness, so it's hard to avoid there being long sections when no enemies appear at all. I've sometimes pointed this out to friends in real life - when, say, someone who talks to us randomly every few weeks doesn't talk to us for a few months, it's easy to attribute meaning to that, but it's a normal statistical variation. When the enemies are supposed to randomly appear every five to ten seconds they sometimes don't appear for over half a minute, and it's really annoying when you want simple but random generation! Hopefully it will work better now, but I'm out of time to improve it anyway.

Last edited:
You are a gigantic dragon, living peacefully in your castle. Then, when you have one of your princess friends over for tea, the townspeople riot for some reason, marching to destroy your castle! They also want all your gold (which you obtained perfectly legitimately through investing). Defend your castle and make sure your tea party isn't ruined.

Use quick thinking, and OP attacks and spells to defend against randomly generated armies and sparing the princesses, while somehow preventing the rest from breaking down your gates. Win by saving 5 princesses, just the right amount for a tea party. Loose by being slaughtered by the angry mob.

You have four attacks:
- Fire Blast: explodes, dealing damage and burning enemies over time.
- Ice Breath: freezes enemies and slows them over time.
- Poison Cloud: poisons enemies over time.
- Dark Vortex: pulls enemies in, killing weak ones to collect their souls for health.

Recommended: Mouse with scroll wheel. Screen resolution minimum 1280x720.

The song I wrote is a mashup of a ton of other well known boss themes. See how many you can recognize.
Nobuo Uematsu, Koji Kondo, Hajime Wakai, Shiho Fujii, Mahito Yokota, Takeshi Hama, Naoko Mitome, Chika Sekigawa, Yasuhisa Baba, Jun Ishikawa, Martin O'Donnell, Hiroki Kikuta, Kenta Nagata, Hajime Wakai, Toru Minegishi, Motoi Sakuraba, Toby Fox

Last edited:

The M

Tower of Power
DOWNLOAD

Devlog:
Friday:
- 71 hours left -
Cool, I have two ideas of what game to make; one doesn't really scream 'boss battle' as much as 'battles including some with bosses' which doesn't ring as true while the other certainly will have some kind of boss but it's more 'survival' than 'fight'. Because it feels much more unique I think I'll still do the latter one and see if I can refine the idea as I make it. That means it's time for prototyping to see if it's actually feasible!

- 70 hours left -
Turns out it was almost possible to do but it didn't look good visually. I wanted to stretch and move around the game window in sync with the boss' attacks (for example if the boss punched the edge of the screen the whole game window would be knocked around). I could move it but resizing it caused a delay before the application surface refreshed its size, distorting everything, which looked awful. Back to the drawing board!

- 68 hours left -
I'm working on basic platformer movement. It feels like I've done it so many times by now that it should go in seconds but it always takes long to get it to feel good, especially since I write the code from scratch every time. Anyways, I've got an interesting idea for gun play which will be a central part of this game.

- 66 hours left -
I've made some progress! The player sprite is somewhat done: it's a bit boring but gets the job done (plus I've already completely changed the style of it once). It's got a different running animation when moving backwards which is neat but won't ever be noticed. ;)

My goal is to not use the mouse at all in the game, you can lock onto targets with a button press instead.

- 61 hours left -
The game is starting to take shape but there's still a long way to go. The environment is kinda bland at the moment but I'll do something about it if I have time to. The goal will be to get to the top of the tower and beat the great boss waiting there but I won't have bosses in each room: that'd be boring and cut too much content. I think it's better to have a lot of bosses spread out over the course of the game.

Also, you can see the weapon system in action. When you hit enemies your weapons gain exp and level up to cause more damage but if you stop hitting enemies for a while they will revert back to their weaker forms.

Saturday:
- 49 hours left -
The first boss is more or less done! It's a classic and shouldn't have taken this long to implement but at least I can reuse it a couple of times for later bosses. :rolleyes:

Time to polish up the floor so that it can be played from start to end, with opening and closing doors, and a boss that can actually die when it runs out of health.

- 46 hours left -
The first floor is fully playable! I have to do a lot of polishing on the enemies, projectiles and ambience in general but we're making progress. Now for the second floor!

- 42 hours left -
Second floor done! Time for the second boss! This one will warp around and try to slam onto you. It will also introduce weakspots to the game.

- 40 hours left -
The third floor will contain the real boss. This one's gonna take some time to finish but it'll be sweet (or would be if I could only draw worth squat). Looks like there won't be any pictures today!

Sunday:
- 28 hours left -
Yesterday was cut a little shorter than I would have liked (that's what I get for telling my friends about steam's spring clean weekend). Instead of continuing with the final boss I've gone back to touch up on the earlier parts of the game, which currently means making it possible to actually take damage.

Oh, and it looks like I just had my first crash for the jam... Yay?

- 26 hours left -
The player can die and there's a fancy HUD showing your health and weapon level. Time to go back to the final boss!

- 22 hours left -
I have two attacks done for the boss. It's tricky to make them feel mighty and it takes a lot of tweaking to get them right. I'm starting to doubt how much content I can put into the game because I'm barely done with one third of it so far (with less than 24 left... seems realistic~ :)).

- 20 hours left -
The final boss now has a nice mix of attacks, although it still lacks desperation moves (and it just gotta have those). It is beatable, which might be an issue I'll have to look into. It's also got difficulty tiers so that it gets tougher the more you hurt it.

- 17 hours left -
I figured I haven't posted any visual update since forever so here's a gif of the first boss. I'm currently working on the second dungeon (because there will be several) which is coming along nicely. Gotta love palette swaps. ;)

- 14 hours left -
That's it for now. Tomorrow I'll add sound, an ending and tutorial signs. Should be feasible I think. The latest boss is weird and doesn't work as intended but the new behavior's pretty cool so I'm keeping it. It's better than late-night bug hunting anyways. ;)

Monday:
- 6 hours left -
Time for the final push! I've six hours, probably enough, and a lot of features to implement. First of the bat is tutorial tablets so that you know how to play. Thankfully I made auto-aim mandatory so that I don't have to draw a tutorial on aiming.

- 4 hours left -
I've found a pesky bug that prevents the second boss from moving if certain conditions are met. I don't know why it happens and I probably don't have time to deal with it. I will redesign one room on that floor to better teach the player the wall jump mechanic. Specifically that you can climb a single wall by jumping up along it.

Scratch that, fixing one error with the boss made it unplayable so now I have to fix it...

- 3 hours left -
The game is pretty much where I want it to be, bar the audio which is non-existent. Time to change that!

- 1 hour left -
I'm gonna cut this close. I've added most of the sounds I want but it's hard to get good effects since my experience is mostly limited to bfxr. Now looking for any decent music that'd fit.

- 1 minute left -
I wish I had time for a few more sound effects (and actually playing through the game) but alas, here we are. The game turned out great which is a nice change from last time, although to be fair platformers are a lot easier to make.

Last edited:

Bart

WiseBart
Boss Off!
About the life of a disgruntled employee at LiteCo, Ltd.

by Bart Teunis

<< Download Link >>

Story

LiteCo's most recently fired employee won't just leave it at that! He wants to take over the building from bottom to top.
One problem: his former colleagues were informed and will call security when they notice him.
Luckily, LiteCo's work environment makes passing by unseen quite a bit more convenient.

That's because LiteCo's employees are truly devoted to their digital device, which has resulted in bad ergonomics. When they sit behind their computer, all they see is their screen. When they have a break, they still suffer from tunnel vision and near-sightedness, unless they wear glasses. Most employees can only rotate their neck in one direction.
LiteCo's employees are all bound to their work times and for that, some of them even bring a clock for counting down the minutes to their next break.
Several notes are spread throughout the rooms. These explain more of the company's and employees' background.

Gameplay
Get past employees unnoticed to reach the elevator to the next level, reading notes on the company and its employees on the way.
Do some 'boss' fights in between (not finished, alternate ending included).
Learn more about LiteCo and its employees by reading the notes that are spread throughout the levels.

Controls
Arrow Keys - Move, Select
Enter - Confirm, Continue
Escape - Back, Return to previous screen
Alt+Enter - Toggle Fullscreen

Each level will involve sneaking and reaching an elevator, sometimes a level means a "boss" fight (quite literally) - still figuring out the mechanics for that, though.

I've been working on the main menu and I'm quite happy with how it turned out:

Not all levels will be playable, but the levels are selectable to contribute to the atmosphere of the game.

I finally also have some of the basic game mechanics up and running:
The Lobby:

The Training Room:

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to tweak these mechanics to get some fun gameplay going.

Last edited:
I

imhanner

Work, Fight, Win or Lose
LIKE A BOSS
by
imhanner & Nadine B.

<<Download>> for Windows

Game.png
Story
Your are the boss. Now it's time to get some work done, but your employees prefer procrastination.

That is unacceptable! Fight this behaviour with your legendary boss weapons and prevent them from sleeping all day long to make the most profit.

Try not to lose your workers to the cafeteria, they will do everything to get there. Once an employee gets there, he or she is lost and will not come back.

Also beware forfeiting employees by insulting them while they are actually doing their job.
Controls
  • LMB: Primary weapon
  • RMB: Secondary weapon
  • Numbers: Switch primary weapon
  • ESCAPE: Quit
Weapons
Weapons+Patterns.gif
Primary
The bosslike Facepunch
  • Unlock Score: free
  • Costs: free/no costs
  • Range: single target
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 1 (0/1)
The bosslike Golfbat
  • Unlock Score: 50
  • Costs: 5
  • Range: Wake up he initial target hard and a second target soft in shoot direction.
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 2 (1/1)
The bosslike Bullwhip
  • Unlock Score: 150
  • Costs: 20
  • Range: Wake up hard whole column of the target.
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 3 (0/3)
The bosslike Vuvuzela
  • Unlock Score: 200
  • Costs: 25
  • Range: Wake up hard your target. In addition up to 3 closest employees receive a soft wake up.
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 4 (3/1)
The bosslike Waterbomb
  • Unlock Score: 300
  • Costs: 30
  • Range: Wake up hard your target. In addition up to 4 employees receive a soft wake up directions of a plus.
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 5 (4/1)
The bosslike Voice
  • Unlock Score: 500
  • Costs: 50
  • Range: Soft wake up a 2 column block. It can be chosen from left, middle or right.
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 6 (6/0)
The bosslike Firecracker
  • Unlock Score: 750
  • Costs: 75
  • Range: Hard wake up the target and everyone next to it.
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 9 (0/9)
The bosslike Firealarm
  • Unlock Score: 1000
  • Costs: 100
  • Range: Hard wake up the entire office.
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 18 (0/18)
Secondary
The Gavel
  • Costs: free/ no costs
  • Range: single target
  • Maximum wake up (S/H): 1 (1/0)

Mechanics
  • Soft wake up:
    • Effect on sleeping employees: Will wake them up for a period of time.
    • Effect on working employees: No positive/negative effect.
  • Hard wake up:
    • Effect on sleeping employees: Will wake them up the longest possible time.
    • Effect on working employees: Will insult them.
  • Coins:
    • Working employees generate coins every few seconds. The boss can spend his coins to use his legendary bosslike weapons. The boss will get fired if he spends too much coins.

Alexx

My game will be called "Space Boss".

Space Boss
by Alexx

Download

Will update when I have more to show.

Update 1: Done some opening credits: (Day 1 2:48pm)

Update 2: Done 3 levels (Day 1 Now 9:40pm)

Update 3: Added audio to first 3 levels, set up background for level 4 (day 1 10:45pm
Taking in a break, watching a film....

Update 4: Done 6 levels - taking a break (day 2 2:45pm)

Update 5: Forgot about break! Designing level 6 (day 2 4:45pm)

Update 6: Done all 8 levels!!! Leaves me a day for audio and graphics effects, and doing my own graphics(day S);

Update 7: Game drafted. (12:30am Day2)

Update 8: Finished!! (Day 2 8:50pm)

Update 9: Played through and fixed a few bugs (10:20pm Day 2)

Last edited:
W

Will

The Businessman
By Will and @CreativeJon90

>> Download <<

Controls:
WASD: Move | Tab: Pause/Shop | Left/Right Mouse: Attack

The Businessman is an endless beat em up all about defeating the corporate execs coming your way! Be careful, because the stock market is volatile and will change every round! If stocks are high, you are empowered and do more damage! If stocks are low, however, you take a penalty.

As it turns out, we were in a huge time constraint :L
It's buggy, it's incomplete, but it's fully playable, and that's pretty cool! Hope everyone else had a good jam!

Desert Punchman
by shadowspear1

Very unfinished and only contains 2 test levels, but I polished up most of the mechanics.

I'll try to finish this game at a later time, and it should be pretty straightforward as I future-proofed everything. All the dirty work is done, it's just the tedious part of creating sprites/animations now.

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
H

H3ADL3SS

Overtime
by H3ADL3SS and Archnix
PaperPlane.gif

plane.gif
boss.gif

We spent around half of an hour planning the game and trying to keep the game small in scope. My teammate only had about 6 hours of experience with gamemaker. I had him to program so I could try to teach him at the same time. Since I didn't have to do everything myself I got some more time to draw the game art. The game isn't finished though. All the art and stuff is in place, but it is not polished at all and plenty of bugs. We lost the whole saturday, otherwise there would probably been enough time.

Have to keep the scope smaller next time, and try to prepare with scripts and assets since this was essentially made from scratch.

Genetix

Office Assault: Armed & Apathetic
by Genetix

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Development Log
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
May 25th, 2018
11:15am - Created a shiny post here to announce my game: Office Assault: Armed & Apathetic
12:00pm - Have drawn up some level design & weapons concepts on paper. Game will be a 2d Top Down perspective set inside of a chaotic Office building.
3:40pm - Core player movement & collision implemented, looking into different approaches for weapons and ammo.
11:47pm - I've added a Pistol weapon to the game, and basic enemies, shooting mechanics are still simple but 'fun'.
11:55pm - Calling it a night, have to work a 10 hour shift tomorrow and hope to keep working on the game afterwards, good luck to everyone participating!
May 26th, 2018
8:42am - Back at work and looking over the forums to check out everyones progress. WIll spend most of today planning & visualizing project.

Last edited:
W

Wraithious

Twilight Legasy

Press ENTER or SELECT to play and replay upon death/win
use W,A,S,D / Arrow keys / Dpad / right stick to move
Press Z key / A button to shoot
Twilight Legasy is brought to you by me, Wraithious at
Roadhammer Gaming.
All game programming, graphics music and sounds recorded
and created by me. background images and some bosses
created from and highly modified from various free wallpaper
sites.

In a world called Venrock far beyond an epic quest had
taken place to defeat the evil that had invaded the lands
and threatened it's people, You, the fabled mage warrior
all but snuffed out the hords of evil and thwarted the
plans of the mighty invaders that sought to claim the
world as their own, Now, backed into a corner there is no
choice but to finish the job and defeat the 8 bosses of
the neatherworlds, good luck warrior mage, you have come
far, but now the fate of Venrock is souly in your hands.

Basically this game is about a character that has adventured through an entire ordeal, and now that the boss characters can't avoid him anymore he now must fight them all, 8 in total, in the twilight realm of an allmost saved world, allmost...

assembly16c.png

Here's my character creation worksheet, and I'm too tired to write a devlog, so I took a picture of it haha

devlog day1.png
Another good day, all the artwork is finished, all the sounds are done, I made an 8 minute song in green cube, a mix of edm and dubstep but not as harsh as my wild dubz release, I got some programming done such as character movement, basic monster movement, weapon placement, controller support and some other basic stuff, hopefully tommorrow I can finish it but it's gonna be close
Finally finished, it's not perfect, but it's definatly playable and hopefully not too many bugs, I didn't find any anyway, it played well and I'm actually happy with it :) Good luck everyone!

M

mewwww17

Title Temp.png
By Studio Basem

Programming: Jack Foster
Artwork and Animation: Julie Kwon and Jack Foster
Soundtrack: Walter Foster
Concept: Jack Foster and Julie Kwon

DOWNLOAD

FUTURE WORK

Screenshot.png
Concept (Game Jam Scope):
Congratulations! You are now the boss of your very own dungeon! You've employed a playable manager boss in order to defeat brave parties of increasingly difficult adventurers.

Note: Studio Basem has been very busy this weekend and only able to put in a few hours total.

Future Plans:
Vanquishing adventurers will provide money and experience with which to expand and improve your dungeon.
Purchase minions, traps, and decorations.
Choose from a variety of playable Manager Bosses.
Expand your singular dungeon into a franchise by creating or taking new dungeons in a variety of locations.

by Shadow_Lancer and Shameless

[ Download ]

Quick GIF of our short boss game thing so far...

Dev Log
Entry 1: We decided to make a simple game, concept being that it is all based on happening inside of a computer and trying to be a little "retro" maybe?
Entry 2: We drew up and animated some ships to use in the game as well as set up some basic other things.
Entry 3: Added a bunch of UI element stuffs and played with the background and effects a bunch =)
Entry 4: Added boss spawning and the ending... just need to make each boss do their own thing now!

Last edited:

Gravedust

..That's beat as in a musical beat, not as in 'pummel'. But there is fighting!

Test your twinstick bullet-grazing skills against VIA and VIKS, the resident Game Bosses.
It's been a while and they could both use a workout.
VIA is a soft touch who will happily teach you the game's mechanics.
...Before putting the heat on a bit later.

VIKS is.... Yeah... Yeah.... Bring a cold compress. You will get burned.

Totaling 8-ish minutes of twinstick SHMUP gameplay, both of these bossfights are coreographed to musical tracks.
(which, full disclosure, I didn't write at all, But they're some of my favorite CC musicks.)

...that's where the 'beat' comes from.. get it?

So.. If you're a fan of colorful, whimsical shmuppy bossfight action with some fantastic tunes to go along with
well.. The link's, Uh.. right there.

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
J

Jdown79

LEGBOT

A team of three, myself, and two nonGMC members, Maice and Zach.

We aimed for a lot more than the timeframed allowed, and had to cut a fair chunk of planned content( for example, there was supposed to be more than just legs.), but are still happy with our entry nonetheless.

The singular enemies take about four shots to kill, while the boss may take a fair bit more than that ;)

Download:
https://files.fm/u/dtes8adc

DEVLOG (if you can call it that)
3:49PM AEST
note: these gifs are pretty long, not sure if they'll upload / embed right
also note_2: the gif recorder lags the f*ck out of my game, it performs better I promise <3
note_3: unsure of why some gifs are embedding and others aren't, but its ok. pls just open the broken links anyway <3

Coded Games

{Insert Game Title Here}
by Coded Games

DOWNLOAD

Here is my second GMC Jam entry! This game is a bullet hell deck building card game! Dodge bullets, collect cards, and combine them together to defeat various bosses! The game gets progressively more difficult over time and bosses are given random attacks, weaknesses, and movement patterns. I was going to name the game something, well better, but never thought of anything.

How to Play:

Use WASD, or click to move. Click to select cards and clip to select a direction/position for some cards.
Avoid getting hit by white squares, they will do damage to you.
Collect green or white squares to play cards. Green squares will not damage you, so focus on collecting them.
After the boss is defeated you may add more cards to your deck by collecting yellow squares. You can use blue squares to teleport around quickly.
After you are finished collecting cards, hit the red square to advance to the next boss.

Tips:

Pay attention to what each element is doing. Bosses may be weak or immune to certain elements so plan your attacks accordingly. Basically every card is good and has useful situations. You may want to build a more damage heavy deck if you feel like your good at dodging bullets. Otherwise you may want to pick more healing abilities.

Avoid running into the boss or the walls, these will damage you and give you a chance to teleport away (I was lazy and didn’t feel like programming proper collisions).

Assets:

All art assets are by me (I know, I'm such a good artist).
All programming is done by me.
Music is by @Yal (part of their Chiptune asset pack).
Sound effects purchased from GameDev Market.
Font is Coder's Crux, by @NAL (part of Nal is Dead).

Minimum Requirements:

A 1080p monitor is HIGHLY recommended. The game is playable at 720p but having extra screen space makes the game a lot easier. The higher resolution monitor you have the better.

Last edited:

Kodiqi

FIGHT THE POWER

DOWNLOAD LINK

I'll add more details, screenshots, etc. later :)

59 hours left: I have a general idea of the game and I've started coding. I have 3 objects and one of them is clickable!
54 hours left: Basic gameplay is working. I've had pizza.
51 hours left: Upgrades are working but need balancing, as does level progression. I've started on some graphics but man...I hate graphics. I should really collaborate with someone on a jam one of these days. Am I ready to open myself up like that though?
37 hours left: I'm gonna make their heads bobble!
30 hours left: They all look so cute in their little outfits... but none of them have faces.

25 hours left: I've spent most of the day on graphics; this was a mistake. I've made the best UI graphic for displaying money that I've ever made though, so that's nice.
10 hours left: Did some sleep, some of my best work so far. Working on UI for upgrades, still need to do sound. 3 days is not enough.
8 hours left: Given my schedule, it is more like 3 hours left at this point. Graphics are mostly in place. It could use some polish but what couldn't? Putting in goals and win/fail state now.
1 minute left: Posted. Barely tested, could have used another half day.

Last edited:
T

TheOakNuggins

AN EPIC [TBA] TITLE
by theOakNuggins (twitter @vikingthejacob)
download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw8neyrpl5ij6fg/GMCJAM8.zip?dl=1

11.00: decided on mechanic and art inspiration: Nykra, Celeste, The Secret of Monkey Island
12.00: sprites and base tileset is complete
12:20: movement is good for what it is. It's not a platformer so it's fine.
14.05: camera and screen scaling complete.
17.00: stuck trying to implement click commands. They all work on the same script and overwrite each other. I'm going out for dinner.
19:45: back from dinner, time to solve this command issue.
23:30: With a lot of help from Hyomoto, we used an array system. It replaced the headache of scripts.
02:45: Objects are now interactible, and I got a nice pretty shader going.
I should have gotten more done, but the command system was a pain.
I swear I have a plan for making this a fighting game.
I hope I finish by tomorrow. I leave for University event at 4.30 Sunday.
The video showcases the command system and filler text.

DAY 1 VIDEO:

DAY 2 DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw8neyrpl5ij6fg/GMCJAM8.zip?dl=1
I leave for university trip here in 2 hours. I won't have time to finish, so I figured I would just post what I have. Wish you guys could have seen what it should have looked like.

here's a video link too, but it doesn't show QUITE everything.

all art is done by me. Music is from audioblocks.com​

M

mjadev

A boss day
by mjadev

DOWNLOAD
Done :) !!!

This game is about a video game boss. You are this boss and you fight against heroes who want only one thing: to finish their game and kill you !!!

Mechanism:
As everyone knows, a boss follows patterns, and to be a good boss, you have to respect these patterns.
You must type keys to follow these patterns. The more precise you are, the stronger you are.

The gameplay is similar to Guitar Hero (... at least I think because, to be honest, I have never played a game of this type o_O )

*** Friday ***
Brainstorming to find the idea. Start to implement basic interface.

*** Saturday ***
Let's go to implement game mechanisms : using timelines and paths for the first time... GMS2 manual is your bible !

My 6 years old son will do the character design for the Boss and the valiant heroes :D
After scanning the drawings and a little cleaning, I have include them in the game.
There will be 4 heroes to fight during the day: 2 the morning and 2 the afternoon.

Main game mechanism is working (paths can even improve what I had planned at the beginning).

If the player presses a letter that is in the green zone, his power gauge increases a lot (+30)
If it is:
- before the yellow zone, he loses power (-15)
- in the yellow zone, it gains little power (+5)
- in the red zone, he loses power (-10)
Beyond the red zone, the letter disappears and it loses a lot of power (-30)

The letters accelerate as they go.

The more power the Boss has, the more powerful attacks it can send and the faster it can kill the hero.

*** Sunday ***
Not a lot of time today: my son's pony lesson this morning (you know.. my character designer) and medieval party this afternoon.

Despite this, good progress on the game.
The gameplay is almost definitive, still a little tuning necessary.
It is over the phase of graphic polish and sound that will begin.

Almost finished !
A demo is ready, I will upload it.
Will see what we can improve tomorrow... good night

The boss:

1st Hero to fight:

2nd hero to fight (inspired by Slay the Spire :))

3rd hero to fight

4rd and last hero to fight

First interface:

Updated interface:

- polish (a little bit...) graphics
- add basic animations for heroes
- add credits
- add startup screen with Title
- write README

makas

by Makas and Daniel

Controls
- Movement with arrows
- Shoot with Spacebar
- Shield with "X"
- Laser with "C"
- Quit with Esc
- Restart with "R"

Objetive

You need to fill the attention boss level meter to spawn the final boss and not die during the 10 seconds warning, everytime you die the meter is empty, you level up your rank by killing enemies or picking up the "R" power up, each rank increase your fire power, you can also have a max of 3 shields and 3 laser to use

Tips:
the shield is very powerfull but you need to use it in the right time, is very effective againist the boss

Gameplay:

Credits

Programming design, game ideas and art by Makas

Game ideas, beta test and design by Daniel

All assets are made by makas, and only some of them are recicled from other projects like the final boss sprite, the main music theme and some UI elements, everything else was made during the game jam. All the code was made during the gamejam.

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
S

Sinaz20

I QUIT!
(That's the actual title... we aren't... we aren't quitting... even if we don't make deadline.)

by Sinaz20, FredFredrickson, VaultComplex (A non-member)

Screenshot 2018-05-27 01.52.18.png
Screenshot 2018-05-27 23.23.30.png

DOWNLOAD

We at least got started with ideas a day early, riffing on the best guess for a theme, which turned out to be THE theme. Lucky us.

The jam starts at like 4am Friday morning for us, so we lose a whopping 12 hours off the front of the jam. This blows. At least FredFredrickson had some daytime bandwidth to get started on some art.

Programming started at like, 8pm Friday night for us. This was mostly importing assets, and setting up some objects.

Saturday was a flurry of rapid coding.

First up, creating all the states I could think of using FF's character assets. Basically, we approached this sort of like an exquisite corpse. After a day of brainstorming while at work, FF just made art he thought I could use, then I interpreted them into our general concept.

The player character works in states. Each object is an inherited state of the idle. I like doing things this way because I can limit precisely what the player can input and what states the character can transition to in a very easy manner. So like, from idle, you can jump, walk, or duck. When you do one of those things, an instance_change() occurs to the appropriate state. From jump, you can double-jump, or land, and depending on high you fall from, you might land hard, having a cooldown in a crouch. I've gotten pretty good at minding the instance_change() and being able to see the state machine tree in my mind's eye.

The game has very simple beat-em up/fighter mechanics, with some nice cancels and frame states.

I took the combo system from Dr. Benjamin Von Bonheur vs. Mere Moments Ago (a past jam entry) and wrote it better. The attacks are all punches coming from two face buttons. And if you alternate, you build up to a 'jumper-cut'... like a shoryuken.

For the remainder of Sunday... if I have time after a planned outing... I'll have to write the CPU AI. I'll have to make it simple-- a basic priority task based AI. What you get is, you have a stack of actions. As the CPU gets stimuli, it fidgets the priority of these actions, and whichever has the highest priority gets executed. You have interrupts that are actions with really high priority. And most other actions will have decays so the CPU can get antsy or bored. I'll probably crib from Dr. Benjamin again since I liked the underlying "confidence" system I wrote there.

We have a guest collaborator, who will hopefully join us more often. My good friend and frequent collaborator, Chris Tilton (VaultComplex.) He's providing music and sound. So hopefully I'll be able to get some of that in tomorrow as well.

I keep saying 'tomorrow', but like... it's 2:25am right now.

You might be asking, "Why, Sinaz20, did you bother making a front end??" Well, I'll tell you. It's because I firmly believe that every game should start with a solid front end loop. You start the app, it lands on a title screen or main menu, you enter the core game, you can quit to main, and you can quit the app without pressing F4. This has always been an important philosophy of mine.

Also, for you aspiring game devs out there that, incredulously, do not have a gamepad attached to your PC (shame!) we heard your criticisms with Fleitgeist, and I specifically rolled a keyboard/gamepad solution that works.

...but I put all the keyboard mappings on random hard to reach keys, because y'all m-fers need some gamepads on yo' desks.

...I kid. I kid.

We're severely behind schedule because I almost lost a wrestling match with Game Maker's collision handling. It's like I have to have this fight with the program every friggen time I try to make a game.

Til late Sunday night... Game on!

Collision in Game Maker has always been a hassle. The collision events seem to never work quite as described in the documentation. The move_contact and move_outside functions seem to misbehave as well. You try to implement something that makes sense in your head, and you get bouncy penetrating collisions everywhere. So you step back and write some while loops duplicating the functionality you expect from those functions, and eventually find a solution that works. You look back at the documentation, and it's like, what the hell are these events and functions actually doing.

Ok, so I have no idea. They are impossible to debug since they are built in functions.

What I typically do to roll my own collision in Game Maker is to take over the functionality at the End Step phase after all the dynamic movement has been applied.

The setup starts with making objects that are simply there to group children into categories for collision. So in this case, currently, I have an obj_character_collisions. Under it are the actual character objects and then the graybox art, and would eventually have the level art. This allows me to do broadly encompassing tests and refine them after detection into categorical types.

The player character is strongly impeded by graybox and level art, but is allowed vertical movement through characters so they don't stand on each others' heads (well, on their hips by the way I have things set up.)

The test is a place_meeting at their final x,y coordinates. If something is detected, then I move the object back to its x/yprevious, and I use a repeat() of length 'speed' and walk the object by hspeed/speed and vspeed/speed each frame. This walking is only allowed if their next step will satisfy place_free (or !place_meeting if I need finer categorical collisions.) Doing each axis behind separate logic tests allows the object to naturally collide and slide along obstacles.

I have written much more sophisticated versions of this simple collision resolution that involve binary searching raycasts in GM:S2... it's just a bit of a pain and not very portable.

I still use the collision events, but really just for non-solid collisions. So, projectile or melee hit detection, walking over power-ups and whatever.

The next hurdle in handling collisions is complex hitboxes. One single sprite and even a sprite+mask is not enough for most applications. Instead I need what I call the "footprint" and then individual objects with specialized versions of the sprites for the various "hitboxes."

The footprint is what governs all the navigation. It is usually just a simple box scaled to the ideal area of the character that is going to collide with the world. The origin is placed centrally along an edge. It's easiest to use this sprite as a mask and use the sprite_index portion of the object purely for rendered art.

The hitboxes are governed by "proxy" objects. These are very minimal objects that are spawned and managed by the main character object. They spend their End Step syncing up their x/y and image_scale variables with their owner object. They use duplicates of the main rendered sprites with the collision masks custom designed to what is the important collidable areas.

The nice thing about using the footprint masks earlier is that we can use the primary sprites as the core hitbox sprites... its just that the main character object doesn't use the sprite-associated masks, the proxy will. The sprites have their masks tightly wrapping the head and torso. If I wanted more granular hit areas, I could make a duplicate of all the sprites and set the masks for one to encompass just the head and the others just the body.

These hitbox sprites would belong to corresponding hitbox proxies... so if I had the head- and body-centric hitbox sprites, I'd need head- and body-centric proxy objects, too.

Functionally, all a hitbox object does is carry variables so that when a damage dealing hitbox collides with it, it knows who to send the damage to.

So now we must talk about the damage dealing hitboxes. These, again, are duplicates of the main sprites (really just the attack sprites in this case.) Their masks are shaped to envelop some part of the arm or the leg or weapon-- whatever is doing the damage. I use the key damage frames as a point of reference, even if the other frames fall out of this zone.

The reason is that I will use frame counts to limit when a damage dealing proxy is allowed to collide. So we get specific damage frames. The core difference between damage sensing proxies and damage dealing proxies is that damage dealing proxies are spawned by the attack actions and destroy themselves as soon as the damage frames are done playing. This is easy enough to do by simply deleting unneeded frames from the sprite and using the Animation End event. Then you only need a damage_frame_index variable to track when to turn on the detection.

BTW, these proxies are set to invisible. No need to render them.

Ok, here are some common pitfalls for collisions in GM:S2...

DO NOT transform your collision mask for character vs. solid collisions at runtime. This is (likely) why your characters get stuck in walls, or warp through them. The problem happens when a character is near enough to a wall that changing sprites or rotating the sprite will change the free/overlapping state of the sprite before dynamics/physics happen. If an object goes from free to overlapping in a collision system that expects to rectify overlapping after dynamic movements, then your object will start the dynamic portion already overlapping and bury itself deeper than the system is prepared to account for.

You can account for this by writing a painstaking rectification function to execute after every time you change the sprite state. In I Quit, this kind of collision is handled by the footprint, which never transforms. Ergo, there are no fringe cases.

DO NOT stop your diagonal collision resolution at first contact. Split it into x and y channels and walk the instance a proportional step each iteration of the loop, disabling either channel when appropriate. Else you will get stalls whenever you collide with a wall at oblique angles.

move_contact functions work as expected per documentation, while move_outside seems to traverse in arbitrary increments. I'd love some clarification on how move_outside actually works, because it does not behave as expected. Therefore, better to detect your collision, move your objects back to previous positions and walk them. This is supposedly how the collision events work against solid objects, but again... I get befuddled by what I see in collision event behavior.

Hyomoto

by Hyomoto

Download BRAXION

Supports Keyboard and Controllers
This is my entry, BRAXION. It is a top-down space shooter in the vein of games like Firepower 2000, Gun Nac or even more recent games like Sky Force. For the theme of 'boss-fighting game' there is one very large, and difficult boss at the end of the stage. If you can defeat it, there is also an ending that might surprise you... Originally I had hoped to have a few levels and you would fight the boss a couple of times, but Jam constraints means I had to put everything into this one level and fight. I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed making it!

~ Keyboard ~
Arrows Keys - Move, Menu
Z - Shoot
A - Special, Menu
Esc - Pause
Tab - Menu
Control + R - Reset Game
Control + Enter - Fullscreen

~ Controller ~
D-Pad/Joytick - Move, Menu
X - Fire
A - Special, Menu
Start - Pause
Select - Menu​

Last edited:

Zodaris

Dungeon Boss Simulator
by Zodaris (Code and Art), Rikileitr (Music and Sound)

Screenshot.png

DOWNLOAD

This is a game that fights bosses! But it needs YOUR help to do it! Give your AI teammates powerups and heals to achieve victory!

Last edited:

Murzy

By Murzy and Swonqi
(music by @moose_tunes)

Roll the bones to defeat the enemies and plunder the island's sweet loot. Hope that the RNG is on your side, or your adventure might get cut short!

– Controls –
Map view: Click to move around or choose battles.
Battle view: Click to choose your dice to be thrown.

– Other –
Music made in collaboration with Moose specifically for the jam. So you can kinda count him as a 3rd member of the team.

Screenshots
1, 2, 3

Download (5MB)
Itch.io
direct

Paskaler

Tankshow
by Paskaler, Matei Osenk

DOWNLOAD

Tankshow is a simple game where you roam around and shoot other tanks. And, other tanks shoot other tanks, too, so it gets kind of hectic. The big tank serves as the boss, but sadly, we couldn't figure out any nifty attacks for him that we could implement in time(hence the small little ones). Anyways, this is our first entry ever and we're glad we got something done.
We hope it'll entertain you atleast for a little while.

CONTROLS
WASD - Move around
LMB - Shoot
RMB - Extend view range​

Last edited:

2Dspessman

ok well, here is what I made, I should have time managed better and... this could have been a lot better I will admit, turns out art is not easy and 6 years away from the last time I used Gamemaker means I am more rusty than thought... anyway will submit this and improve for next time, sometimes ya gotta start from rock bottom.

its not all bad as some of the lower end prizes (if Im the worst, which Im doubtful of) can be used to improve my skills

I am glad this is my first gamejam

here is the link to my game

https://2dspessman.itch.io/bossattack

Status
Not open for further replies.