GMC Jam Discussion The Chimerical GMC Jam #8 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sinaz20

whoop. There's going to be quite a few literal fighting-your-corporate-boss games, eh... including ours. ;)

Y

Yotzer

I love the theme. I can't wait to make some boss music and perhaps explosion sounds and stuff. ^^

But I really hope @Ragarnak is all right. Hopefully just an internet and/or PC issue, or something. But since he hasn't been around, the original post hasn't been updated to include my prize, so I guess I'll post the details here and tag @Nocturne (not sure if he can edit Ragarnak's original post to include it though?). Also, is Nocturne now the host, or just temporarily stepping in?

- JAM PRIZE DETAILS -

The winner of this prize will be chosen randomly from the top-half ranked entries.
( should there be an odd number of entries, the middle-most will NOT be included in the top-half ranked )

The winner may choose any game they want, within the following rules:
  • The game must be made with GameMaker.
    ( you're not limited to games only found in the showcase, but I'll need proof that the game was made in GameMaker, if it's not found in the showcase )
  • It must be released and purchasable online as a gift which can be sent via email or through Steam.
  • If the winner is an individual, they may choose one game (+ any of its DLC) amounting to $30 or less.
  • If the winner is a team, each person may choose one game (+ any of its DLC) amounting to $15 or less.
great donation man!
i do not intent to tell you what to do or how to give your own prize

Y

Yotzer

heart monitor.gif what is this?
i did not want to write it !
i started to write and discovered that i misunderstood completely and erased it.
please mods check this out. if it is me ,sorry.

great donation man!
i do not intent to tell you what to do or how to give your own prize
anyway
i almost got a heart attack thinking that my work was somehow corrupted towards the end and did not back it up for long but it was ok.
i am almost done ,only need some polishing and some sfx.
how do you guys make a spoiler? i can't find that option.

Last edited by a moderator:

HayManMarc

View attachment 18626 what is this?
i did not want to write it !
i started to write and discovered that i misunderstood completely and erased it.
please mods check this out. if it is me ,sorry.

anyway
i almost got a heart attack thinking that my work was somehow corrupted towards the end and did not back it up for long but it was ok.
i am almost done ,only need some polishing and some sfx.
how do you guys make a spoiler? i can't find that option.
Write spoiler inside of these [ ] at the beginning, then write /spoiler inside them at the end.

(EDIT: Triple post. Yikes)

Last edited:
P

penguin533

Just over 24 hours left
Again, lot's of progress i'm seeing
Let's keep this up guys, we're almost there!

mimusic

I can't be bothered to keep a proper dev log while I work, so instead here's a cryptic, tightly-cropped portion of a screenshot before I go to bed. Here's to hoping I can get everything else wrapped up tomorrow with enough time to add some polish.

arrow01.png

S

Sinaz20

Ooof.

This weekend is busy for our whole team. If we can't finish by deadline tomorrow, we'll at least post a link after submissions are closed for a sense of closure.

Screenshot 2018-05-27 01.52.16.png Screenshot 2018-05-27 01.52.18.png Screenshot 2018-05-27 01.52.28.png

Left to do tomorrow...

Paint a quick background...
Port FredFredrickson's boss character art into the boss opponent...
Add sounds and music...
Write the game state management...
Add some gamey stuff...

...all after I get back from a mid day celebration luncheon.

Yeah, this seems doable. :p

M

Meowanator

I’m going to have to back out of this jam since I ended up being busy this weekend.

Zodaris

This is going to be my best jam entry yet! Also, there are a LOT of good looking games being made, holy cow. There's some stiff competition this time around for sure.

I've taken to doing my controller prompts like that for PC games just because manufacturers often call their buttons different things XD saves any confusion. It's like HEY, press the bottom face button. Job done :D
Dang. I've been trying to solve that problem. I can't believe I didn't think to do it that way. Well that's nice.

ghandpivot

Not enough time, dropping out!
I was making some kind of frozen synapse style game where you have to choose 3 moves in advance, but I just didn't have time to continue working on it.

trg601

Aww it's too bad you are dropping out @ghandpivot. I always enjoy your jam games.

I don't really have enough time to make too much but I'm going to try to finish at least something so I can get those epic fonts...

It's too bad my sister and I are so busy this week but I do feel pretty happy with what we've acomplished in that short time. Idk if we'll ever win but we are definitely improving.

Last edited:
S

Sinaz20

If you have a playable, you should submit it. We can judge on partial wips.

Our game is probably going up as a wip, too.

I haven't posted anything on the community before (as nothing is finished) but want to participate in this jam. Can someone give me a guide to where my entry should go, and how you submit it. I know there's a bit of info at the top, but it really seems geared towards people who already know, and doesn't explain much about the process (or maybe I'm being dim....)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ghandpivot

I haven't posted anything on the community before (as nothing is finished) but want to participate in this jam. Can someone give me a guide to where my entry should go, and how you submit it. I know there's a bit of info at the top, but it really seems geared towards people who already know, and doesn't explain much about the process (or maybe I'm being dim....)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Make a post in the GMC8 Games topic (this is the discussion topic). Upload your game to a file host of your choice (google drive etc) and share the link in your post. That's it, make sure to upload and finish your post before deadline.

P

penguin533

I think my game is more or less done, now to play it for 12 hours to be absolutely sure there's no bugs

Even with having all 3 days free, I'm not gonna have enough time to finish. I'll post the gameplay demo in the games topic, but it's only 2 test levels.

Sad that yet another jam turned out this way, I'll try again next time :(

S

Storyteller

Ive got a boss you can break part of the ship on and bullets you can shoot and...
gamemaker revved my cpu so high it crashed from overheating several times in a row, and deleted code in several places
I think Im done trying to use this software, its not helping me make games, I spend more time fighting the interface and figuring out 'how to make gamemaer do what I want' than I do actually programming or laying out levels.
Im sure its just my old, substandard equipment and the software team is not at fault, Im sure its something Ive been doing wrong... for 15 years now...
Im done. the only thing Ilike about the software, is the name
this is what I learned this jam, that using this software is not helping me make games, and seemingly, never did

I assume like he said that it's just that his computer isn't strong enough to run Gamemaker effeciently. I used GM8 on a crappy computer for a while and it had a lot more problems than I do now. (Though since GM8 was such an old software to begin with it was much more managable). On my second machine, which was new but really cheap, GMS1 was fine, but I literally couldn't run Unity and definitely not UE4. (I tried). So those are probably off the table if you can't run gamemaker. Who knows though.

sylvain_l

I assume like he said that it's just that his computer isn't strong enough to run Gamemaker effeciently.
that's one possibility, the other is that GMS2 sucks a lot of CPU (even with an i7 6850K). It happens from time to time when I start GMS2, instead of idling at 0.2% it just stays at even 10% on the task manager. @Storyteller In that case, the best thing to do is just close GMS2 and restart and reopen the project. For me, it solves the problem.

Zodaris

Well shoot. Never had problems with GMS2 (aside from that sprite editor crash, but that only happened once or twice) until I need to to work for a jam. Suddenly decided that it'll just fail every time I try to run something about an hour ago. Still trying to fix it. But before it did that, was was doing weird things like a number minus the same number would equal 64 and one sound file would be played back as a horrid mess (but would work fine in the game itself). Going to keep trying and googling to solve this. I know it's not my computer, I just got it brand new, freshly built in January, and it's pretty strong.

S

Storyteller

Well I'm sorry to hear that @Storyteller Good luck with whatever you end up moving to next. I hope you can find something that takes less CPU than Gamemaker.
thx. it ran pretty much fine before this latest update,
though that doesnt change all the trouble I have with the 'gm way' of doing things.

Yeah, no idea what you're doing wrong. Game Maker has always made things feel a bit nicer and easier for me. Best way to make 2D games.
yes, clearly it is something I am doing wrong.

in this zip I include the full project, if I am doing something wrong, please point it out
https://files.fm/u/yqcnqcbc

that's one possibility, the other is that GMS2 sucks a lot of CPU (even with an i7 6850K). It happens from time to time when I start GMS2, instead of idling at 0.2% it just stays at even 10% on the task manager. @Storyteller In that case, the best thing to do is just close GMS2 and restart and reopen the project. For me, it solves the problem.
I tried that several times. repeatedly, I was getting 60-90% cpu usage, no matter what.

C

chiyoko

just my final post so i can share

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dengar

sorry if this is a silly question but where do we submit out game at?

I

imhanner

I hope everyone had a great dev weekend. I look forward to play your games. :)

Finished
https://cloakedgames.itch.io/the-hoard

I'm going to mention this also though. The theme song I wrote is basically a huge mashup of 13 different video game songs, 11 of which are boss themes. See how many you can recognize!

I have a list of proper credits for the original composers, but if you want it to be fair, don't look in the spoilers on the forum post. (I didn't name the songs in there, though so if you want a hint, you can look them up manually to find which games they worked on...)

Status
Not open for further replies.