GMC Jam Discussion The Chimerical GMC Jam #8 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Noba

Is it just getting rated on the gameplay and the use of theme, or other things like scaling and optimisation and stuff like that as well?

Scaling is one thing I've never been good at aha.

It's up to each person how they rate games, but the Jam Player has little categories for Theme Usage, Concept, Presentation, and something else but I forget...
I don't think anyone is going to judge you for scaling or optimisation, unless there is a big problem.

N

Noba

It's up to each person how they rate games, but the Jam Player has little categories for Theme Usage, Concept, Presentation, and something else but I forget...
I don't think anyone is going to judge you for scaling or optimisation, unless there is a big problem.
Ah alright, that makes things a bit easier. Thanks! :)

Heh heh. I've done something fun.

Army Generation.gif

Randomly generated armies. That only took me an hour to do. Turns out my asset (below) can do more than just terrain.

Micah_DS

I love the theme. I can't wait to make some boss music and perhaps explosion sounds and stuff. ^^

But I really hope @Ragarnak is all right. Hopefully just an internet and/or PC issue, or something. But since he hasn't been around, the original post hasn't been updated to include my prize, so I guess I'll post the details here and tag @Nocturne (not sure if he can edit Ragarnak's original post to include it though?). Also, is Nocturne now the host, or just temporarily stepping in?

- JAM PRIZE DETAILS -

The winner of this prize will be chosen randomly from the top-half ranked entries.
( should there be an odd number of entries, the middle-most will NOT be included in the top-half ranked )

The winner may choose any game they want, within the following rules:
  • The game must be made with GameMaker.
    ( you're not limited to games only found in the showcase, but I'll need proof that the game was made in GameMaker, if it's not found in the showcase )
  • It must be released and purchasable online as a gift which can be sent via email or through Steam.
  • If the winner is an individual, they may choose one game (+ any of its DLC) amounting to $30 or less.
  • If the winner is a team, each person may choose one game (+ any of its DLC) amounting to $15 or less.

mimusic

General question regarding the rules, for anybody who has the authority to answer:

I have an privately made already-existing script that I would like to use for this jam, but I want to make sure I'm not breaking rules (or even just doing something that would just be frowned upon). It translates a vector from 3D into it's equivalent 2D position on screen. Figuring out the math for this again from scratch would take me a decent bit of time (as it did the first time, because 3D math is still a bit confusing for me), and since it's a relatively small part of the game I'm making, I'm wondering if simply importing that script I already have would be acceptable. Would this be against the rules, and/or would it have a negative impact on the consideration of my entry?

I know the rules say that previously existing materials can be used as long as they are cited/clarified, but my assumption is that this is in regards to publicly released assets, not stuff that an individual user is pulling from a previous project of their own, so I just want to be perfectly clear on the situation before moving forward.

@mimusic It is totally expected to pull code from old projects. It makes no sense to force everyone to code it all from scratch. Everyone has code like that they use every project.

Just don't do it like, copying an entire game you already made.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
@Dr. Wolf and @sylvain_l ...
If you really want some kind of "proof" that licence has been granted just PM me and I'll email you a list rattling off the font names, some legal mumbo, and a signature scrawl. (Please provide your full, real name, and/ or business name.)
But yes, you just download the fonts and can then use them for ANY COMMERCIAL PURPOSE, FOREVER.* (Bar reselling, or reformatting for resale, of the original font files.)
As for what fonts are excluded/ included...
Well, let's say ALL FONTS CREATED BEFORE 26th MAY 2018 ARE INCLUDED.
I release fonts on Fontspace (rather than Dafont) first, because Fontspace does not have an (often long) approval process.
So, for the full list of 362 fonts visit Fontspace at the following link:
http://www.fontspace.com/darrell-flood?sort=date
Enjoy!!!

Also, *love* the Theme! Mad props to those who chose it!
Wish I had more free time to do it justice. (Will be lucky to scrape a few hours together on Monday, lol)
Best of luck to all!

HayManMarc

Made a something to start out with. It only has basic spacey movement so far. Here's a screenie...

I won't have much time to spare to make a game for this jam, so this will be either very minimal, or unfinished. :)

Good luck to everyone!!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'll post the details here and tag @Nocturne (not sure if he can edit Ragarnak's original post to include it though?). Also, is Nocturne now the host, or just temporarily stepping in?
That's a generous prize! Thanks! I've added it on to the main topic... :) As for whether I'm hosting or stepping in... I have no idea! We'll have to wait and see if Ragarnak resurfaces and is okay I guess... if not then I'll be doing the closing and vote counting and stuff too later.

Yeah, I'm seriously a little worried about him.

Anyways. I did succeed at the interesting thing I wanted to do for music. I'll keep that a surprise for when it's done though.

Gravedust

Hopping in at literally the last minute, just discovered I have a free weekend, and I've always wanted to do a jam :)

Not going to get fancy with this at all concept-wise,this time, just going face-first into a straight-up Twinstick 1V1 Bossfest. Because… Well I've always wanted to. :) Will be cribbing some from shmup boss encounters, may or may not go full-on danmaku... but if I don't see a room full of bullets I will not go home happy.

Unfortunately I'm working today so I have do do dev on the sneaky side at the office :p but I've been doing art and writing what code I can in Notepad.

But here's the art I got so far:

Genetix

Decided to change the name of my project from "Office Armageddon" to "Office Assault" - Hoping to keep it light/comical but also a bit hardcore. Right not debating on having Aliens or Zombies invading an office building. I've got the core topdown player movement done, but won't really have much time to focus until Sunday. Excited though to say the least, this is my first jam!

The kicker is that you'll end up ultimately fighting your "Boss" from the office at the end of the game.

HayManMarc

The jam theme is just boss fighting game. You can interpret that how you'd like.

Some of us are doing that.
Yes, interpret "Boss Fighting Game" however you wish. Clever interpretations of the theme usually get kudos, but beware of taking it to far on a tangent, or it could backfire. :)

W

Will

Hey everyone, hope everyone is having a good time!

Quick question to verify the rules though - is using music found online OK? From websites like freemusicarchive.org that offer free to use music? Neither me or my partner are very good with sound... On a side note, if any composers are looking to join a team let me know! ;)

That's acceptable. List any required credits of course. That's all.

Anyways, I'm going to finish the music for my game and then head to bed. Forum won't accept my gif, check discord if you wanna see what I did. Tomorrow I need to finish all the features we have planned, and then Sunday I will work on polish.

ghandpivot

For the first time in a decade of different GMC competitions I'm going to scrap most of my code and animation and change direction of a project. I've always just gone with whatever seems to be happening, but this time I'm having a hard time figuring out what my game would actually accomplish in terms of interesting gameplay.

Murzy

Our team is still missing a music / sound effects designer. If you are interested in filling up the position, send me a PM!

Status
Not open for further replies.