GMC Jam Discussion The Chimerical GMC Jam #8 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alix

I want to participate, but would only like to do art. Either as team member or simply by requests for anyone.
@Cloaked Games

edit: found a team

Last edited:

Micah_DS

Well, I guess I was pretty thoughtless when I was setting the rules for my offered jam prize at first. Now I've decided to simply let the winner choose what game they want. I mean, duh. Much better.
I just sent the details to our jam host, so it's official now.

Last edited:
M

Misu

If I were host of the GMC jams, I would update on adding people in the discord group AND shown a letter reveal by now yesterday (at least one space).

Are you alive Rag?

H

Hadin Lemery

I'm going to try my best to get something submitted. It's more for me to prove that I can make something more substantial than the countless prototypes I've spent the last 2 years making.

Hyomoto

As a mild critique, I think as a participant hopeful, it would be more interesting to reveal a letter a day than wait several and reveal more.

It's just kind of fun to speculate, or anticipate. But without scraps, there's only so much to be done.

N

nlolotte

As a mild critique, I think as a participant hopeful, it would be more interesting to reveal a letter a day than wait several and reveal more.

It's just kind of fun to speculate, or anticipate. But without scraps, there's only so much to be done.
I totally agree

Dr. Wolf

Just thought I should mention (to the few who care lol) - if you are interested in grabbing all my fonts for commercial use free (by entering this Jam) please note THIS Jam will be the last time I offer this! I'm going all "Pro" like with my fonts and a load are gonna be kind of tied up in contracts soon (that don't allow me to give em away for free).
So if you want those 300 fonts - be sure to ENTER THIS JAM.
Speaking of...for those of us who were in the last jam: how do we claim this prize-- do we just download the fonts and start using them, or is there some kind of official license document that we get to show that we have the rights? Also, what kinds of use are permitted: does the license only cover the sort of thing done by GM's built-in font loader, where the font is rasterized in advance, or is it compatible with technologies like runtime rasterization via OS API or SDF-based on-the-fly rendering, which might require us to include the font itself in the game or even have the installer install it on the user's machine?

sylvain_l

@dadio some care ;)
like Dr. Wolf, I would like to know how it works exactly. I mean for now the only time I used one was for personal things never published or even finished or my last GMC jam entry, so not like that's an urgent matter :D
Also as you seems to continue to produce new ones how does it works.
For example, on dafont the font "machinations" https://www.dafont.com/machinations.font is First seen on DaFont: May 01, 2018.
I assume that one isn't covered by my last jam entry as it was produced after, but can I rely on dafont or is there another more reliable list somewhere to know which font I have access ?

ghandpivot

I'll probably throw in something short and clever. I don't have time to make too much as we've only got one exam per semester and it's in 10 days.

Edit: Might have to drop out already lol.

Last edited:
S

Swooshter

Want to try to do this, but will be a busy weekend for me. Hopefully I can throw something together.

Aw I just noticed that it will start tomorrow @ 8am (US East)! I liked back when it started at 8pm on Friday because it gave me a full night to sleep and think on what I want the game to be about :)

trg601

Aw I just noticed that it will start tomorrow @ 8am (US East)! I liked back when it started at 8pm on Friday because it gave me a full night to sleep and think on what I want the game to be about :)
Yeah I liked that. It would be nice this week since I have to work on friday but on the other hand with this new time I don't have to rush as much to finish it right on time since I'm not awake at finish time anyway.

Easier for you guys, as it doesn't start until Midnight for me. And ends at midnight on Monday - yet I will be at work for most of that day, so very little time between getting home and finishing things off before the deadline.

Still have to decide if I am going to join in, or if I should carry on working on my main game as I have made some really good progress on it this week. Will see how I feel once the final theme comes out and if I can come up with something right away that fits with it.

Easier for you guys, as it doesn't start until Midnight for me. And ends at midnight on Monday - yet I will be at work for most of that day, so very little time between getting home and finishing things off before the deadline.

Still have to decide if I am going to join in, or if I should carry on working on my main game as I have made some really good progress on it this week. Will see how I feel once the final theme comes out and if I can come up with something right away that fits with it.
Where do you live? You must be somewhere in Oceania to be 12 hours ahead of UTC :eek:

T

TheOakNuggins

If I write a program to guess the name of the theme... Is it cheating to know ahead of time?

Alright. I'm headed to bed now (well, some things first), but I'm going offline. See you all tomorrow when the jam starts! HYPE!

@TheOakNuggins If you can figure it out, feel free to brainstorm before hand. Usually people wait to actually make the project until it starts. You can use some pre-made assets, check the rules for those.

C

chiyoko

oh hello there! names cj, online most folks know me as chi, this is my first post here but ive been lurking in these waters for close to 6 years now. That'd put me at... what, 13? when i first saw this place. Good to be working with you all, and finally showing my face X3

T

TheOakNuggins

here are some of the possible words I generated using the program. Pick the ones you think are most likely to fit together I guess.

Code:
//dictionary create//

+50000 permutations tried
3 letter long words where the 2 python position is s
['abs', 'ads', 'als', 'a**', 'bus', 'cos', 'dos', 'ers', 'ess', 'gas', 'has', 'his', 'ifs', 'ins', 'its', 'jus', 'lis', 'mas', 'mis', 'nos', 'ops', 'pas', 'pus', 'res', 'sis', 'sos', 'tas', 'tis', 'uns', 'ups', 'vis', 'was', 'yes']
[Finished in 13.9s]

Code:
//dictionary create//

+100000 permutations tried
4 letter long words where the 2 python position is 's'

['base', 'boss', 'cyst', 'dish', 'fess', 'fish', 'fuse', 'fuse', 'hush', 'josh', 'just', 'just', 'koss', 'less', 'list', 'lush', 'mask', 'mist', 'moss', 'mush', 'nest', 'nosh', 'push', 'rest', 'rose', 'ruse', 'task', 'toss',  'west', 'wuss']
[Finished in 30.5s]

Code:
//dictionary create//

4 letter long words where the 3 python position is h
['bach', 'both', 'bush', 'cash', 'dash', 'each', 'fish', 'hath', 'high', 'nosh', 'rath', 'rush', 'with',  'yeah', 'mech']
[Finished in 30.1s]

Third word is most likely just "in". if not, the second word is probably fighting and the third word is a final four-letter word.

Code:
//dictionary create//

4 letter long words where the 1 python position is a
['bare', 'daze', 'ease', 'fave', 'gale', 'game', 'gaze', 'hale', 'have', 'jade', 'pate', 'rare', 'sade', 'sane', 'save', 'ware']
[Finished in 30.0s]

Code:
//dictionary create//

+300000 permutations tried
5 letter long words where the 2 python position is 'a' and the final letter is 'e'
['crate', 'glaze', 'peace', 'place', 'plane', 'scare', 'space', 'trade']
[Finished in 94.7s]

My guesses:
Boss Fighting Game
Fish Fighting Game
Just Dash in Space
Fish Mech in Space
Rest Both in Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chiyoko

- - S - - - - - H - I N - - - A - E
BASS FIGHTING CRAPE

BASS FIGHTS CREPES

GAME IDEA GOTTEN

H

Horror_J_13

Is anyone else interested in doing a horror game for the jam? I’ve got an idea but I’ll need as I’m brand new to gml / game maker.

B

BrandonC

It will be my first time so i am needing to get rid of the 5 post link prevention before jam ends.

C

chiyoko

dunno if that'll work, as long as it has a .com or .ca or .gov or whatever the heck. even without http, theres still sites that dont use that anymore. Hell, ive seen sites that dont even use www. anymore.

H

H3ADL3SS

Time to ask some questions then to get the five posts.

Do you guys have any good tips on how to prepare and jam efficiently? And what are your favorite tools for making game music?

J

Jdown79

Also my first jam, and wouldn't you know it I'm working both days :mad:
Got some good mates though, so lets see if we can actually finish something rip

Time to ask some questions then to get the five posts.

Do you guys have any good tips on how to prepare and jam efficiently? And what are your favorite tools for making game music?
Really spend some good time thinking first. If you have an idea, think about how you might approach it then think about how feasible that may be. Keep it simple.

I write all my music as midi in Guitar Pro, then I load it into Sonar and run it through my VSTs. If I have time. If I don't, I may use the random song generator. There should be a link in a jam tools topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.