37. A boss day by @mjadev
  38. TITLE: 43 by GRArthas, Drooms, Brian mowat​
  39. Boss Off! by @Bart
  40. Overtime by @H3ADL3SS, @Archnix
  41. Twilight Legasy by @Wraithious
  42. BossBoss by Studio Basem (Jack Foster, Julie Kwon, Walter Foster)​
  43. Stealth Game by @TheOakNuggins
  44. Boss Attack by @2Dspessman
  45. Gladiator by Pirates of the Sea of Stars (Linkydee, MountainProductons, @Silver-bowsman)​
  46. Desert Punchman by @shadowspear1
  47. Fish Chef Brigade by Cjheighton
  48. I Quit! by @Sinaz20, @FredFredrickson, VaultComplex​
  49. Galaxy Goons by @HayManMarc
  50. Boss Of All Bosses by @dphsw, @FeetUpGaming
  51. BO5S by @sylvain_l
  52. AwesomeBossBattleGamen't by @orSQUADstra
  53. Boss Fighting Game 2018 by @Storyteller

Best-ofs:
Best use of Theme: The Hoard by @Cloaked Games, @Pere
Best Concept: {Insert Game Title Here} by @Coded Games
Best Presentation: Yarr 'n Gee by @Murzy, @swonqi, moose_tunes
Best Story: The Ashen Tower by @JacobV, Parmesano
Best Devlog: I Quit! by @Sinaz20, @FredFredrickson, VaultComplex

Best reviewer: @Ralucipe, for in-depth analysis of each rated game

Prizes
Jam Prizes

The top 3 entrants and best-of winners will be featured in the Hall of Fame.
Furthermore, @Coded Games will choose the theme for the next Jam.

Community Prizes

Please don't forget to check if you aren't eligible for one of community prizes contributed to this Jam's pool, and poke the prize givers if necessary!
(if you are the one giving away the prize, especially the one for specific entries, please contact those who should receive the prize)

The GMC Jam is officially finished!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What, when, where?
GMC Jam is a quarterly event held on the GameMaker Community that we organize to encourage people to experiment with GameMaker and make a game that will be interesting or entertaining within the limited timescale of 72 hours. It is entirely a community event - neither YoYo Games nor Playtech are officially involved in this competition, aside from providing forum space to carry it out.

The Jam has three phases:
  • discussion, held in the discussion topic; started a few weeks before the Jam (the discussion remains open during and for some time after the Jam, too)
  • development, the core of the Jam, the 72 hours when entries are made and posted in games topic
  • decision, when community members vote for their favorite games and provide feedback to specific entries; it lasts roughly 2 weeks after the Jam, before the results are announced
You're also cordially invited to join your fellow GMC Jam enthusiasts and regular participants on the GMC Jam Discord server.

This GMC Jam will run for 72 hours in the following timeframe:
May 25, 12:00 PM UTC - May 28, 12:00 PM UTC
Friday Noon - Monday Noon

COUNTDOWN CLOCK

GMC Jam Rules

The following rules will be used during this GMC Jam. The general Community Guidelines of behavior and conduct always apply. There have been no major changes since the GMC Jam #5, so you're free to skip over if you've participated in that Jam, but you're still advised to read it again for your own safety.

PARTICIPATION:
  • any GMC member is welcome to participate in GMC Jam and submit their entry
  • you may use any version of GameMaker to create an entry for the GMC Jam
  • each entry must be made by a single GMC member or a team of up to 3 people; people outside GMC can be in the team, as long as at least one GMC member is in that team
  • each participant can make or contribute to as many entries as they want, but they can only claim rewards for one of them (unless the reward is given specifically for the entry)
  • each entry must have a single post in this Jam's games topic (opened once the Jam officially starts), and no two entries can share the same post
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry's downloadable file

ENTRY:
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • this goes without saying, but no game engines besides GameMaker can be used for creating an entry for this Jam
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
  • the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
  • the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available

THEME:
  • the Jam has a theme picked by the previous winner - a general idea around which the entry can be built
  • the theme is announced when the Jam officially starts, but letters of it are gradually revealed over the course of this discussion - members are allowed to guess what the theme might be
  • while incorporating the theme in the entry is not mandatory, participants are strongly encouraged to do so
  • the entry that uses the theme in the most interesting way can win best use of theme award

BEST-OF AWARDS:
  • aside from the Jam-specific theme, the games can be rated on the concept, the presentation and the story
  • the concept is related to the core gameplay mechanics idea - whether the game rules themselves are creative and entertaing or not
  • the presentation is related to the overall polish - whether the entry provides the right experience through audiovisuals, and whether it's not disrupted by bugs and errors
  • the story is related to the events or motivation present throughout the entry; it can be told through dialogue and narrative, as well as implied through game design
  • the entries excelling at these categories can win best concept, best presentation and best story awards
  • furthermore, aside from entries themselves, their devlogs can be rated; the entry with the most interesting devlog can win the best devlog award

VOTING:
  • after the Jam ends, all entries are gathered in a single ZIP with all entries for everyone to download
  • once the ZIP is available, the voting begins, and it lasts approximately 2 weeks; a longer voting period may be chosen when more than 70-80 entries are submitted
  • the voting period may be extended upon request by at most one additional week; however, not every such request must be granted, and one should show a reasonable progress with reviewing/playing the Jam entries
  • the voting is carried out in the Jam's voting topic, where each voter makes a single post for their scores and reviews
  • any GMC member may vote, whether they participated or not, but participants cannot rank or award their own entries
  • each voter must rank and post a brief comment on at least top 3 games; also, they are free to and can rank more games, in fact, as many as they want or even all
  • each voter can vote for best use of theme, concept, presentation, story and devlog
  • each voter can vote for best reviewer, but in this case their opinion is entirely non-binding - the best reviewer is eventually chosen by the Jam host after the voting ends
  • if some voters or participants are found to be cheating, their entries may be disqualified and they might be excluded from future community events
  • shortly after the voting period closes (preferably within 24 hours), the votes are summed up, and the final results announced; after that, all prizes should be distributed where applicable

PRIZES:
  • top 3 entries, as well as best-of award winners, get special banners and are featured in the Hall of Fame
  • creator of the highest ranking themed entry gets the right to choose the next Jam's theme
  • aside from regular GMC Jam prizes, other GMC members can contribute the community prizes by messaging the Jam host
  • do not post community prize offers in this topic as we might miss them amidst the discussion; you're free to do so, but also send a message to the Jam host so that the prizes can be added to the pool listing below
  • the community prizes can be given to any range of places, best-of winners, reviewers, personal favourites etc.
  • the community prizes can be nearly anything - custom graphics, soundtracks, gameplay videos, software keys etc.; as long as they are not monetary prizes and they don't break community rules
  • it is community prize contributor's responsibility to give the prize; they should make sure they can deliver their promise
If you have any suggestions or comments to make about the way GMC Jam works, please consider posting them in the GMC Jam Suggestions topic. It is from your feedback that we might make this community event even better and more fun to participate in!

Community Prizes

Want to add your community prize? Send a message to the Jam host the details!
(note that you will need to handle prizes distribution on your own after the Jam, please don't pass anything through me)
  • YoYo Games are offering:
    • Desktop licenses for GMS2 to the makers of top 3 games (in case of a team ending up in top 3, each member of the team will receive a separate Desktop license)
    • Temporary GMS2 Desktop licenses for everyone who's interested in participating in the GMC Jam. These licenses will be made available when we're closer to the Jam timeframe and will provide you with full functionality of GMS2. Create your Jam entry using it and see for yourself if you may want to purchase this wonderful iteration of GameMaker down the road.
  • Alexx is offering their e-book and resources for it to the makers of top 5 and bottom 5 games
  • Cloaked Games is offering:
    • A copy of their terrain generation asset to the winner
    • The winner of the Best Concept award will be featured as an Easter Egg in some way in their current main game project
  • dadio is offering 300 commercial use font licenses for all entrants
  • hadi is offering three of their extensions to the makers of top 3 games: [1] [2] [3]
  • HayManMarc is offering an original poem to the winner, accompanied by some art.
  • matharoo is offering their platformer Udemy course for free to the maker of the game that comes second-to-last.
  • The-any-Key is offering:
    • Two of their Marketplace assets to the winner of the Jam: [1] [2]
    • A copy of one of their assets to the maker of the game that comes in last place
  • Micah_DS is very generously offering a game under the following conditions:
    • The game must be made with GameMaker. ( you're not limited to games only found in the showcase, but I'll need proof that the game was made in GameMaker, if it's not found in the showcase )
    • It must be released and purchasable online as a gift which can be sent via email or through Steam.
    • If the winner is an individual, they may choose one game (+ any of its DLC) amounting to $30 or less.
    • If the winner is a team, each person may choose one game (+ any of its DLC) amounting to $15 or less.
Spread the word!

If you would like to promote the Jam, please paste the following code in your signature. Also, please remember that your signature is effective only when you are posting around forums. You might want to go ahead and give feedback in Made with GameMaker and Work in Progress forums, or maybe participate in Programming and Community Tech Support discussions.

Code:
[center][url="https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-chimerical-gmc-jam-8-discussion-topic.47189/"][img]https://image.ibb.co/bygzzS/Jam_Banner.png[/img][/url][/center]
@Alice for the topic format and content
@Shadow Link for the countdown clock

Let's get the discussion started!
[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:

mimusic

Awwww yeah, here we go. Had to skip the last one because I was too tired to make something I felt proud of, so here's to hoping I don't exhaust myself right before this one starts!

Micah_DS

Yes! I'm so excited!

I wonder if history will repeat itself for me though...
Serious about making the best game... (At the start)

Where did all the time go?!? (A few hours remain)

This is my result? Why did I do this again?... (The jam is over)
Whatever happens, I look forward to the usual fun and the challenge. Also, I always learn something and the feedback tends to be very useful.

Excellent. I'm super ready for this one!

I will be looking for a pixel-artist, and optionally a sound-designer/composer who can do 3 songs. Feel free to PM me if you want to, but only if you're planning to go all in and get it done.

Bentley

Thanks whoever posted about this on their profile, I didn't know there was a Jam coming up. Exciting!

trg601

Darn it... I've been having some bad luck with jam dates recently...
I am really busy that weekend, but I might still try to make something.

Either way, I'm excited to see what everyone makes!

Micah_DS

So who do we ask to get a promotional jam banner up at the top of the forums again? @Nocturne?

I'm not the first to ask, but I didn't see any official response on the matter. Is there any reason we couldn't get the banner for each jam?

Bingdom

Googledom
I will not be participating either. I'll be busy with College.

Good luck to everyone who are participating.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
How are others finding the new Jame dates?
They were all kind fo shifted around a few Jams back to avoid overlap with other Jams...
but I'm seeing a lot more people not take part last few Jams because of overlap with exams...
I wonder if a poll about the Jam dates might be a good idea?

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
So who do we ask to get a promotional jam banner up at the top of the forums again?
I have already talked to Nocturne about the header notice and it will be getting put up, but it will happen no sooner than this Sunday, because he does not have access to the required system tools at the moment.

@dadio I'm pretty sure the last 3 or 4 jams have overlapped with exams for me. Part of that is my timezone, so the jams usually end for me 10pm on Monday night, and I always have an exam on that Monday. Just means on the last day I'm not only wiped from two days of work, but I'm also wiped from studying and taking the exam then trying to finish my game when I get home XD

Sammi3

Champions League final on the 26th :( I'm probably gonna be 💩💩💩💩ting myself the whole day but hopefully I'll still be able to make a game :) Guess the dates were chosen by a non-Liverpool/Madrid fan...

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
It's time to reveal some letters of the theme!

- - S - - - - - - - I - - - - A - -

Also, updated the community prize pool in the first post with some very generous offerings from our members, including something special from YoYo Games. If you'd also like to offer something as a prize, please send me a message so that we can make the Jam more enticing and encourage more people to participate. Every prize offering, however small or big, is welcome and highly appreciated.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Hello, fellow gmc people.
It is I, the magical wizard of olde, here with an announcement!
The GMC WHAM is being held again, this time via itch.io for ease on my end.
I hope you'll all enjoy warming up to quick game making in the week leading up to the GMC Jam.

https://itch.io/jam/gmc-wham-3

There's no prizes except being able to say you won!

Bentley

All this hype is hyping the hype to new heights and I'm hyped that were all so hyped and the more I say "hype" the more hyped I get for this hyped Jam.

Sorry, that was dumb.

Ooh, more letters!

Code:
F I S H   S T E A L I N G   C A R S
That would be an awesome theme.

Last edited by a moderator:

Micah_DS

Ooh, more letters!

Code:
F I S H   S T E A L I N G   C A R S
Oh man, I'd go for some serious wet fish slapping action. Like GTA, but you'd slap people out of their cars with your body.
I was going to say some other things about the audio, but it sounded kind of wrong, so... hmm.

Y

Yotzer

I agree @Yotzer

And speaking of that, there's quite a few prizes this time around! Hopefully that means we'll get to see a lot more entries this jam.
I want the e-book so I am going to make the crapiest game ever and finish among the the 5 bottom! lol.

I want the e-book so I am going to make the crapiest game ever and finish among the the 5 bottom! lol.
Hm... but if everyone does that, then you will actually have a lower chance of getting it. We'll have so many terrible games!

As a related note, I'm thinking this time around, unless there's very few entries, I'll do video reviews for 20 random ones (the first 20 that show up in the jam player), and just written reviews for the rest. I don't think I have time to do video reviews on every single one. That took a lot out of me last time, with 26 entries, so I don't want to attempt any more than that.

Last edited:
Y

Yotzer

Hm... but if everyone does that, then you will actually have a lower chance of getting it. We'll just get a bunch of terrible games. Which, by the way, is really not fun to play through when you're trying to do complete reviews of every game.
you know I wasn't serious about it. ;)
who is going to try and make the worst game? (that can be a fun and challenging gmc ,try to make the worst and lose,jajajajajjaj)

well...in fact I am so terrible that it may happen

A

Agreeable

Ugh... I'm out. Have to go away this weekend. Totally forgot. :mad:

M

Misu

Everyone. This might be the last time I participate in this jam. I cant say the reason yet but I know that I must take part of this event once more; its been almost a year since I fully participated and I really need to get back on this for the last time. Plus I only got 2 days to dedicate in this jam since one of them conflicts my night shift at the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.