Darts addict
Forum Staff
Welcome to the GMC Jam #7 Games Topic!

THEME:
NEWTON'S LAWS OF MOTION

Rules

Who?
  • any GMC member is welcome to participate in GMC Jam and submit their entry
  • each entry must be made by a single GMC member or a team of up to 3 people; people outside GMC can be in the team, as long as at least one GMC member is in that team
  • any version of GameMaker can be used to create an entry
  • each participant can make or contribute to as many entries as they want, but they can only claim rewards for one of them (unless the reward is given specifically for the entry)
  • each entry must have a single post in this Jam's games topic (opened once the Jam officially starts), and no two entries can share the same post
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry downloadable file

How?
  • each entry must have a single, its own post in this very topic; no two entries can share the same post
  • each post in this topic must be related to a single entry; the place for discussion is the discussion thread, not the games topic
  • the entry post can be used to present the entry progress, as well as a devlog
  • you are free to use any devlog format as long as you can make it work in a forum post
  • by the time the Jam ends, the entry post must contain a valid link to entry files to qualify
  • if you find this topic is closed and you cannot edit your entry anymore, DO PANIC because it means Jamming time ended and we have started wrapping up the ZIP; also, send me a message as soon as possible with a valid link to the entry, but chances are it will only make it into the late entries patch, not into the main ZIP, so please try your best to put up a download link on time

What?
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker (any version) specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
  • the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
  • the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available
  • the entry must not require admin privileges to run or mess with the system in any other way

Remember, as everywhere else, general Community Guidelines apply.

Recommended format

To make things easier for participants, Jam host and the person who compiles the ZIP, guidelines about entry post and file structure has been prepared. It's not mandatory to follow, but it's recommended, as it keeps things organised and makes wrapping up entries easier.

The template in the spoiler below is suggested for entry post. If you have your own creative idea about it, by all means go for it, but please do include:
  • the game title
  • the list of team members and a team name; or just your own username if you go solo
  • the download link, clearly labeled as "DOWNLOAD"

Code:
[center][size=7]The Best Game Title in the World[/size]
[size=5]by [b]My Username[/b][/size]                        // if the game is made by one person
[size=5]by [b]Team XYZ[/b] (Xerxes, Yeti, Zed)[/size]       // if the game is made by a team
[size=5]by [b]Xerxes[/b], [b]Yeti[/b], [b]Zed[/b][/size]                         // if the team has no official name

[img]http://link-to-screenshot.com/[/img]           // if you have a screenshot
<no screenshot yet>                                 // if you don't

[size=6][url=http://download-link.net/]DOWNLOAD[/url][/size]        // if you have a playable version
<no download yet>                                                   // if you don't yet
    // you might also include additional download mirror links
    // or e.g. link to the game page or topic in Made with GameMaker
    // but the download should be the first link of all
[/center]

// after that, present the devlog however you like, within rules

Additionally, when you wrap up entry files to download, it is suggested that you:
  • make sure it's not an installer
  • make a folder called "Entry Title by Author", or "Entry Title by Team Name", or "Entry Title by Comma, Separated, Authors", put unpacked game file(s) directly in that folder, and ZIP the whole folder
  • add a 120x120px thumbnail that will be displayed by Jam Player, so that your game is recognised more easily
  • make a README file with credits, especially if you used external assets; files with README in name are recognized by Jam Player
  • if your README file is necessary to play the game (e.g. it includes the instructions not available in the game), call it README_PLEASE; if README is not required to play the game, please use the regular README
  • if there's some additional information you need the voter to know after they play the game, but before they vote, you might make an AFTERWORD file (also recognized by Jam Player); there you might mention cheat codes, explain the use of theme if it's not obvious or revealed at the late point in the game etc.
  • if you still have some time, playtest the game and send it to your little dog, too; there are few things ruining the experience more effectively than crashes!
  • make sure it's not an installer, just once again for a good measure

Once again, following these guidelines is not obligatory, but it'll be appreciated.

Now let the Jamming commence!

Last edited:
Reserved for an entry, this is bound to be interesting :p:confused:

Devlog:
Friday
Basically planned out the game, and decided on the artwork, still no coding done.
Saturday
Busy with the artwork and the game direction.

EDIT: Eh.. I landed up being pulled into too many commitments and a bad weekend, no submission from me :confused:

Last edited:

The M

Super Power

DOWNLOAD
Devlog
Friday:
- 72 hours left -
Looks like I got the theme right for once, cool! This means I have an idea for a game (which naturally doesn't have all that much to do with the theme but hey, it's better than when I just added some pseudo-Japanese text to have any relation to it). Unfortunately the idea is unlike any other game I've made so I have no idea how it will turn out. For the first time I'll fire up Excel before Game Maker, who'd have known?

- 71 hours left -
I've made a list of what I want the game to contain (in very broad strokes) and that's just the upgrades you can buy. The game will have a large number of systems that affect each other and your job is to push one way while keeping the others in balance. Of course there's an AI-player that will try to beat you.

- 68 hours left -
I drew a world map but thought there was too little space around it. No problem, let's just change the screen resolution to be adaptive to your monitor, I thought. I'll just have to re-scale the room and split the borders into scale-able pieces, I though... Now I've spent three darn hours to get it to work --which it finally does-- but in the mean time I've come up with a new great game idea. I'll still stick with my original plan but man, if only I could do both!

- 66 hours left -
Now there's finally something to show! In this game you'll be controlling one of two large nations: you'll be trying to conquer the world while balancing responsibilities towards your populace and keeping them happy enough not to start a revolution. Naturally, all your actions will have reactions among the other nations.

- 63 hours left -
I'm still struggling with interfaces. I thought the challenge in making this game would come from balancing a complex system and make it engaging and interesting but so far it looks like I'll spend most of my time on menu systems. Tough~.

- 61 hours left -
Alright, that's enough for today. I've got some menuing done and you can open up a half-finished research menu. There are a lot of options here and I might have to remove a category to keep it viable, we'll see.
Saturday:
- 51 hours left -
I've decided to cut away a research branch because I think the game will be complex enough for a new player with only 20 upgrades to choose from rather than 25 (on top of all other systems). Plus, it'll free up some time to work on other stuff too. I'm adding buttons for increasing/decreasing research funds. Hopefully I'll be able to reuse most of the buttons because of how many menus I've got to make (have I mentioned that there are a lot of them? Yes? OK).

- 48 hours left -
The research menu is pretty much done. None of the things you can research have any effect on the game yet but we'll get there eventually. Time for the military panel!

- 46 hours left -
You can now select how many units to produce each week in the military panel which also means destruction research actually has a point unlike the other research categories :p. To avoid flooding the post with identical images I'll wait until later to show off the progress. I modified how money works: you now have a fixed amount of cash and spending is now done on a weekly basis rather than a spent and gone approach. That means you'll get back your money the next week if you've completed a research item.

- 44 hours left -
I'll just leave this here:

Morale is a weird stat. It's calculated using your different welfare levels and depend on your popularity. Your popularity is calculated using morale and the whole cycle contains more math than I care to understand. Bottom line is you should mess with welfare on your own risk unless you can come across as charismatic while you do it. :)
Sunday:
- 27 hours left -
All of these updates seem to be near identical: this menu is done, those upgrades can be purchased and there still is no gameplay. Now I've added counterspies and local propaganda. I think I'll do warfare next if only to make it possible to win the game before deadline. Then maybe the real meat of the game can come in when you start deploying spies and make bad arguments for why you attacking your neighbor is perfectly legitimate!

- 25 hours left -
Still no military so far but I've added a fancy notification system that will let you know when research is completed and force you to deal with enemy spies revealing your researches to the public.

- 20 hours left -
I'm starting to feel the side effects of making the countries share x- and y-coordinates with all offsets being a part of their sprites. I have no way to determine which country is next to another nor even where they are positioned. I'm solving it with manual parameters but they're tedious to enter. I think combat will have to be simple. You send a number of units to a location and they will fight until there's a winner or everyone is dead. All units have a given power level with infantry being the weakest and nukes being, well, nukes.

- 19 hours left -
All warfare menuing is done which means you can order units to attack countries. There is no combat though but it'll come. After that I'll add a manipulation menu and a defense menu and then I'll have to hope that an AI can be easily made because I'll be pretty much out of time (gotta work early tomorrow so no final push there :)).

- 14 hours left -
You can now officially conquer the world! The only problem is that no-one will really try to stop you. I'll spend one hour from now to add a simple AI of some kind to make it a little tougher. Unfortunately I can't make it attack because there code just isn't there and I don't have time to add it. It's a shame but I don't think I'll be able to finish this entry. Tough luck.

- 13 hours left -
I spent a lot of time on this entry but it still ended up half-finished and not very fun. I guess that happens from time to time but it's unusual for me to feel disappointed after a jam. Whatever, I still had fun making the thing and it's nice to have done something completely different from what I normally make. Cheers, and good night!

Last edited:

HayManMarc

Retreadz
by HayManMarc
FEB2018

Download link: http://haymanquarterly.com/haymangames/retreadz/Retreadz.zip

The ninjas of fruit are up to no good. You must capture their watermelon to proceed. o_O

Controls:
Arrow left = move left
Arrow right = move right
Arrow up = raise gun barrel
Arrow down = lower gun barrel

X key = shoot bomb (blows up about 1 second or so after hitting the ground)
C key = pea shooter (does virtually nothing)

X key to advance from the stat screen.

There are only 2 levels. There is no ending -- it just stops on the stat screen after level 2.

Last edited:

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I present, the dumbest thing I have ever made:
TURNIPMON

A game about collecting and training food plants to beat the best farmer in the land!
What animates these plants, you may be asking, idk, radiation?
Why am I making this is another question that springs to the ol' brain lobes, why not?

So keep an eye out for TurnipMon!

Devlog:
I started out the basic concept work of my idea.
A monster capture game where everything reeks of Homestead.
I've made a few design docs documenting moves stats and some very basic story stuff.
I'm going to start actually making the game soon!​

Last edited:
F

FROGANUS

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tom Edwards

F = M * Apple
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 12.14.45 PM.png
Isaac Newton was having a peaceful day observing apples to learn about the laws of motion when all of a sudden the Apples wouldn't stop falling from the tree. Help Isaac dodge the apples by using to 'A' and 'D' to move left to right and space to jump.

This was my first attempt at a Game Jam as a 13 year old(So please be nice if my game is terrible!)

Marketplace Assets Used:
-Pixel Platformer Art Pack
-Platform Sprite Pack
-Tree Sprite Pack

I would like to thank everyone on the discord for helping me through my first game jam

Download

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Willisburg

AstroNewt (on)
by Willisburg

DOWNLOAD
I made a new post, i know, kind of bad, but i couldn't edit my previous post, every time i got an error that it was either innapropriate or a spam (it was neither of those things),
so i cleared my last post, and made this one with a download link, enjoy, hope you like it (though it doesn't have music :( ... ).
Friday: wasted the whole day trying to make a perfect physics system;
Saturday: made simple, but fun physics, made a couple of sprites;
Sunday: made more sprites, tilesets and backgrounds, changed the physics a little bit.

M

Misty

hi I am very ill. My game is called the Mysterious planet of Newton. Link is https://www.megaupload.us/Xqs/TheMysteriousPlanetOfNewton.zip. EDIT new link here: https://ufile.io/kcsr4
My advice is download the new link instead of the megaupload one. Megaupload has sketchy ads so I recommend downloading from ufile
instead. Let me know if you have any difficulties. Again I am very ill so please bear with me I am struggling to learn how to use formatting on this phone

not sure how to copy and paste on this phone. Can someone please test the link and tell me if I gave the right link. Also it's a windows game but only have net on phone. Also not sure how good Megaupload is but in really sick so best I could do.

Last edited:

meseta

Newton's Axiom

Download Link
Download Link (low-spec version)

For details and hints see itch.io link

Take control of Newton's Axiom, a state-of-the-art ship lost deep in hostile space. Survive by mining asteroids for metal to build your own fleet and dominate this sector of the galaxy.

Controls:
  • WASD or arrow key movement
  • Mouse aim
  • Left mouse button or space key to fire primary weapon
  • Right mouse button or shift key to fire secondary weapon
  • Click on units to switch control
  • Click on build icons to build new ships
Hints:
  • Your Newton's Axiom mothership can mine asteroids too, albeit slowly. Use when the situation is dire.
  • The game ends when your last mothership is destroyed. But with enough resources you can build more as backup.
  • You should be able to outrun enemies you can't fight.
  • Your loyal fleet will follow you to their deaths, even if that means crashing into an asteroid that strayed into their paths... use caution when cruising at speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.