GMC Jam Discussion The Brilliant GMC Jam #7 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah_DS

I have begun to upload my jam reviews video in which I review every game (excluding my own, of course). The video is almost 2 hours and it's 4.78 GB......... so you'll see that in a week, lol, jk. It will take quite a bit of time though. All my ranking and such is done, but I'll be waiting until the video is ready (with time stamps for each game) before I post in the voting thread.

ghandpivot

I have no clue what you said right there but alright.
What I said is that the hit detection in the game isn't good enough to make such punishing and quick deaths enjoyable. It has to be super clear why you die in a game like mine. Watching your video (and playing the game my self a few times), it's clear that the shooting mechanic isn't properly implemented, as dying is almost always followed by a "What??".

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
At this point, kinda around less than 4 full days remaining. Though since I'll be sleeping when the technical deadline passes, there'll be probably a few extra hours until I wake up and gather the results for good.

Alright, my reviews have been finished. The final video review is still being uploaded though, if you haven't seen your game played yet, check back in the voting thread in a few hours. However, the written reviews, scoring breakdown, and final rankings are all finished. Good job to everybody participating!

@Bentley Sorry, I could not get a video of your game. The crashes kept corrupting my file. I actually quite enjoyed it though. I still played enough to write a written review.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, the time of voting is technically up, but I won't be able to tally the votes and post the results in the next 12 hours, so I might as well give you some extra time to post your votes.
I hope you'll use that time well...

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The results are out!

Full results

Complete ranking:

Score breakdown spreadsheet

1. Shred of Light by @JacobV, @Cloaked Games
  2. The Mysterious Planet of Newton by @Misty
  3. Paint Bonanza by @Bingdom, @Iodinex64, @Ninety
  4. Billy's Nightmare by @lazertrax
  5. Impulse: Out of Time by @Siolfor the Jackal
  6. Newton's Axiom by @meseta
  7. DriftWar by @Dr. Wolf
  8. Recoil on Asteroids by @Alice
  9. Weird Space by @Humayun
  10. Retreadz by @HayManMarc
  11. Super Power by @The M
  12. Yor Game by @Micah_DS
  13. Recoil-schmecoil by @ghandpivot
  14. Drunk Cosmonaut by @rio-85, Daniel Zimmerman
  15. Relative Fray by @Yokcos
  16. Satellites by @sylvain_l
  17. Newton's Tanks by @Zodaris
  18. The Arena of Flying Balls by @Nallebeorn
  19. Newton's Laws of Roguelike by @Guilherme Oliveira
  20. AstroNewt(on) by @Willisburg
  21. F = M * Apple by @Tom Edwards
  22. Super ButtChin Man saves The World by @Phynam
  23. Newton's Cave by Landon, PixelTitan, @OverLogic
  24. Gimbo The Ghost by @RargraveEntertainment
  25. Untitled by @Bentley
  26. 3D videocard throttling mega Newton game by @orSQUADstra

Best-ofs:

Best use of Theme: The Mysterious Planet of Newton by @Misty
Best Concept: Paint Bonanza by @Bingdom, @Iodinex64, @Ninety
Best Presentation: Shred of Light by @JacobV, @Cloaked Games
Best Story: Shred of Light by @JacobV, @Cloaked Games; The Mysterious Planet of Newton by @Misty
Best Devlog: Super Power by @The M

Best reviewer: @Cloaked Games, for particularly in-depth video playthroughs covering nearly all games.

Special mention goes to @Micah_DS and @Misu for making helpful video reviews as well.

Rewards

Banners are HERE

The top 3 entries as well as best-of winners get a special, shiny banner to put in their signature.
All the other entries get their banner, too, just not as special nor shiny.

Other Jam prizes

In addition to getting the special banners, the top 3 entrants and best-of winners will be featured in the Hall of Fame.
Also, @JacobV and @Cloaked Games can choose the theme when the time comes.

Community prizes

Please don't forget to check if you aren't eligible for one of community prizes contributed to this Jam's pool, and poke the prize givers if necessary~!
(if you are the one giving away the prize, especially the one for specific entries, please contact those who should receive the prize)

The GMC Jam is officially finished!

Wow, @Alice, nice job with all those banners. They all look phenomenal, and I think it's great that everybody gets a banner for their game. It's super fun.

Good work everybody this jam. I had loads of fun playing all the games. It was a lot of work, but it was also a ton of fun. Even the games that didn't score well made me chuckle, and that's important.

Also, thanks to everybody who liked our game, I had a lot of fun writing music.

Humayun

It was my first try in GMC JAM. Thanks for the position in top 10, will try more hard next time. Though it was my first jam ever but it was fun :p. By the way thanks for the banner ;)

The M

Congratulations to the winners!

Can't say I'm disappointed placing so well with such a broken and unfinished game but I'm still gonna try harder for next time. :p

Also, thanks @Alice for hosting another great jam!

Last edited:

HayManMarc

Yes, THANKS @Alice !! You are a most excellent jam host!

Congrats to the winners! And I'll happily take 10th place with my silly, almost game. :p

Special thanks to all the reviewers, too!!!

Micah_DS

LOL, my banner is the only one with no icon (but it does show the game's 'identity' via colors). That sort of makes sense for a couple reasons, I guess. First, the character design obviously isn't my own (even though I did draw the sprite), so it doesn't seem right to have that as the icon unless the game was made by the man himself. Secondly, my game title was confusing/misleading, but "Yor" is simply "Roy" reversed. That's it. I couldn't think of a game title and the time left was short, so "Yor Game" was born. But it appears that most people mistook it as "Your game", which is understandable.

But whatever. Using @roytheshort for my inspiration was a risky move. I knew it from the beginning. TBH, the reason I chose to feature roytheshort in the game was because I wasn't as excited about the theme as I thought I would be, so the GMC jester came into play because I was trying to entertain myself and have more fun with it.

-

Thanks @Alice for being a great host, and it's very cool that you took time to make banners for everyone (even if I don't put my banner in my sig, I DO still very much appreciate it. I saved it to my "trophies" folder on my PC).

M

Misty

Hi. Here is my post, took me a while to think of what I have to say because I am somewhat on the autism spectrum and have a lot of social inhibitions. But what I want to say is, I want to say thankyou for giving me 2nd place to the contest. If you are wondering why I didn't post my reviews in time, it is because I thought it said the 13th not the 11th. I also didn't have internet and the phone just got the internet back around the 12th, giving me a small window of opportunity to post it. But I decided not to, because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I saw so many people giving me good reviews and I could not bear the thought of hurting their feelings in return, but at the same time, I wanted to post only honest reviews. So I figured the easiest and best option was simply not to post any reviews at all. If you want to read my reviews, they are rather harsh, so send me a PM and I will send it to you. My reviews are like gold, the gold I didn't win at the contest, giving you these reviews for free, in the interest of sporting competition, these reviews just may help your next game rise to the top and win. Also, I wasn't suprised that Shred of Light won, I thought it was good but it had some flaws. If you want to know more, send me a PM.

I was not surprised Shred won, because it had better graphics and mine sucked lol. I need to learn how to make better graphics but it just seems so hard sometimes.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Oh right, forgot about this thing existing because coding stuff at work makes me completely uncodemoodable for weekends :p
(plus it feels like I'm just gonna waste everyone's time throwing all these simple arcade thingies together when I don't have time to actually make them fun)

I suppose this means I'm probably gonna get challenged for the "participated in the most jams" position now... this is gonna be an interesting development~

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Actually your games are some of tiny few I really look forward to every time Yal! Hope to see ya participate next time!
(I know exactly what ya mean about not wanting to code/ be on a computer when ya do this stuff as a regular job lol, hang in there! Your small games rock!)

@JacobV
MAY 25th - 28th

Reactions: Yal

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Do we know who the next Jam Overlord is going to be?
Alice, are you going to be handling it again?
Kinda feel like we should get the hype ball rolling earlier than the previous Jam.
Like from the start of May maybe - just so people are properly aware that it is coming up.
(Hopefully I can manage to scrape something together for it this time... tragic that I've missed a few Jams in a row now.)

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Lol, Imma be fitin' someone if da hype topic isn't opened earlier this time!
Looking forward to this one!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm gonna be on a job-related education for a sizeable chunk of the week before the jam, we'll see what that'll do to my creative spirits. Hopefully I can avoid catching a serious illness this time, at least. x3

...I just jinxed it didn't I

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I'm guessing the Hype topic will open next week. (No later than Friday.)
Alice, are you handling the Jam again this time?

JacobV

I'm going to be looking for an audio/music person, so if anyone's interested in teaming up message me.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I'm going to be looking for an audio/music person, so if anyone's interested in teaming up message me.

Is it *definitely* the 25th? I keep seeing people say it is but it sounds like estimates to me.
And someone get that forum banner up again, that was a good idea.

JacobV

Yeah I really think the jam runner should try and get in contact with Yoyo again, make it more official like the one before this one.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Just for the record, I won't be the one running the next Jam. If I recall, I mentioned it on Discord group back around the previous Jam ended, but somehow ended up not telling about it here. Sorry about that.

I've been pretty much out of the loop recently, barely visiting GMC during recent weeks, and I was mostly brought here by a private message (which comes with an e-mail notification), so I don't really know about who's supposed to be the host next time. ^^'

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I might do it again...
unless that thought scares anyone...
or anyone else *really* feels the need to captain the Jam?

Status
Not open for further replies.