• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Brilliant GMC Jam #7 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nallebeorn

Looking forward to playing the games, and seeing how y'all have interpreted the theme! I won't submit a "serious" entry this time (lots of school work to do, older games projects to work on, and I just don't really file like crunching away at a game this weekend), but I'll try to create a super-simple game just to have made something.

Bentley

Timeline:

1. Woke up, saw the Jam Theme, didn't like it.
2. 30 minutes later, decided I liked it : )
3. Spent about 2 hours figuring out what my game was going to be like.
4. Spent 1 hour on a bad idea.
5. Spent another hour on another bad idea.
6. Finally got an idea I like. Did some programming.

And that's that for now.

Zodaris

I completely forgot that the jam was coming up. Oops. Usually when I forget I'll look at the theme still and be like "Eh maybe I could make something but I didn't plan on doing this for this weekend so I'll just sit back and watch". But to be honest as soon as I saw the theme I had an almost fully formed game pop into my head... SO, it looks like I'm going to jump in on this, even though I'm already super late. Just barely opened GMS2 type of late. Oh well. Let's go!

Can I petition for a "Best Music" or "Best Audio" medal for the jam? As a composer, I feel like we're missing out on a very integral part of a game.

As a related question, how many people usually do compose music during the jam timeframe?

EDIT: I guess that sort of fits under "presentation" but... I feel like the audio is sort of a separate thing.

Micah_DS

Can I petition for a "Best Music" or "Best Audio" medal for the jam? As a composer, I feel like we're missing out on a very integral part of a game.

As a related question, how many people usually do compose music during the jam timeframe?

EDIT: I guess that sort of fits under "presentation" but... I feel like the audio is sort of a separate thing.
I second this. I'd love to see the audio side of things get a little more love.

As for answering the question: If I ever get to the point of adding audio to my games before running out of time, I always create my own music and sounds.

Last edited:

The M

Some progress:

Now I only need to add diplomacy and warfare menus and then I can start with the gameplay. I probably won't have more time to work today so chances are I'll never get everything done in time but what can you do. :p

HayManMarc

Sure is quiet this jam.

Probably because physics are hard to deal with? Well, that's my problem since I have very little experience with coding physics. But, Retreadz is turning into "something".

AI is a pain for me, too.

I'm doing music. I'll probably share them when I'm done with the entire soundtrack, but there isn't really such thing as a progress update. It does seem quiet, I think there's just less people participating for whatever reasons.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Looks like I'll sit this one out.
  1. I only have half a day free this Jam (which is pretty usual for me anyway) -- and really, I'm probably too slow for jam environments anyway.
  2. The theme is interesting but doesn't inspire nor motivate me to try for something small in my small available time I could allot.
  3. Last time I submitted something small in a small window without any real regard to theme, it mostly got panned, which was expected and is fine, except that the most lambasting, anti-community-spirit, discouraging comments which treated me like a plagiaristic child who needed scolding (not to mention some of the lacerations pointed at others) came from what I considered an outlier whose attitude could be dismissed (after gleaning what factual information one could, out of all fairness of course,) except that the official community event nod went to this collection of why-do-you-plebs-even-try venom, celebrating and venerating it. Here, have a pretty official banner for your attention to detail and humorless, scathing roasts. Apparently my concept of community environment is pretty different from others' -- but then I guess I fool myself. @chance has probably known this in my brain's stead for years.
Yeah, you folks have fun, do well.

HayManMarc

Welp --- I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and just submit what I've been able to do so far. My brain is turning to mush.

It's not a game, but it's a 'something' that looks like it might grow up to be a game someday. maybe.

I have to go to work for 9 hours, then I can keep going, which gives me about 7 hours to finish this up -- or, more like, 7 hours to make this seem like a game of some sort. (I already know it won't, but maybe i can add a start screen and find some sounds. And add damage hits and a win scenario. lol )

Bentley

Timeline update : (

Saturday Evening and Sunday Morning:
Countless hours of tinkering only to realize that it just isn't going to work. Tears...

Sunday Afternoon:
I have some hope. May the "Force" be with me (bad joke, sorry).

Bentley

I think the key to these Jams is, before you even start to code, have a clear idea of what the main parts of your game are going to be. That sounds simple, but it's easier said than done. At least that's been my problem. I rush in thinking I have something, only to realize it can't turn into a game.

Last edited:
F

FROGANUS

I don't think I can wrap anything up- i was against some sickness this morning and now it seems I'm getting swept into a board game. (ticket to ride) i'll probably complete my submission in like a year..

Joh

It's unfortunate but I'm tapping out. Best of the to the reals, that managed.
It sucks I spent so much time on it though. But for once I don't think I had a winner in my hands.
(Well maybe, by twisted fate, this was the only Real winner I made. We will never know)

Micah_DS

Wow, I know I wasn't saying anything on here really, but yes, I was participating, and I actually finished a game. That's right! It's arguably complete this time.

eeeeeEEE SHORT! (I know, it's terrible... but, it looks slightly worse than it really is, honest)

I did it all today. In a time frame of about 15 hours. Of course, there were a few interruptions during that time, since life doesn't stop and let me jam in peace. I wasn't able to make a devlog. Some things went terribly, but overall it went smoothly. Most of my time went down the drain trying to make the physics accurate, and I had to scratch my initial main mechanic. At first, I made the player have to kick off of blocks or walls to begin movement, but I realized that mechanic made puzzles kind of impossible to make good, so I had to just scrap it and allow the player to move without having to kick off of a surface. I doubt this info is interesting though, so I'll shut up now.

HayManMarc

Well, it's almost a game. I didn't have time to include a help screen so I hope everyone knows how to read readme files and check the games topic. (but the controls are pretty easy to figure out, i think.)
If I hadn't had to work, there would be more. Ah well, such is the jamz! Good luck to all! Hope you enjoy my attempt, at least just a little. :)

Here's my games topic post:

Retreadz
by HayManMarc
FEB2018

Download link: http://haymanquarterly.com/haymangames/retreadz/Retreadz.zip

The ninjas of fruit are up to no good. You must capture their watermelon to proceed. o_O

Controls:
Arrow left = move left
Arrow right = move right
Arrow up = raise gun barrel
Arrow down = lower gun barrel

X key = shoot bomb (blows up about 1 second or so after hitting the ground)
C key = pea shooter (does virtually nothing)

X key to advance from the stat screen.

There are only 2 levels. There is no ending -- it just stops on the stat screen after level 2.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The games topic is closed now. Now I'll get to wrapping up the entries ZIP. If you want to make a last-minute submission, please concact me as soon as possible!

Bentley

k, no sound for trusters and explosions... I'll argue that's because in space there is no medium to transmit sound
Haha, I wish I could use the same excuse. I have no sound and my game takes place in Antarctica (or any icy place, doesn't matter). And I use the word "game" very loosely.

Status
Not open for further replies.