• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 The Arena

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
The Arena (WIP)
An HTML5 arena fighting game

>> Play Here <<

Controls:

Movement: [WASD/Arrow keys]
Melee Attack: [Left Click]
Ranged Attack: [Right Click] (Requires adrenaline)
To be added:
  • Abilities (mega attacks) that use up adrenaline
  • Procedurally generated arena environment: spikes, fire, etc.
  • Menu for adjusting the wave variables so that you can play the game your way
  • Maybe a mobile version

Last edited:
S

Sabrina Stoakes

I know I've already commented on your status about this, but I just wanted to say something about how much I love how the arrows jiggle when they hit a wall, it's such a nice little touch <3

O.Stogden

Pretty good. Although I think you have to play with the browser in fullscreen mode, as when I was trying to fire arrows, they kept missing when it was in a small window, guessing it was knocking the co-ordinates of the mouse off what it truly was, so the arrows weren't going to where my cursor was.

Other than that it's good fun, movement is quite solid and has a fair amount of difficulty. Any chance of adding a dodge key, or perhaps the ability to roll out of danger?

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Other than that it's good fun, movement is quite solid and has a fair amount of difficulty. Any chance of adding a dodge key, or perhaps the ability to roll out of danger?
Thanks! And yes, I'll be adding a dash/roll.

Pretty good. Although I think you have to play with the browser in fullscreen mode, as when I was trying to fire arrows, they kept missing when it was in a small window, guessing it was knocking the co-ordinates of the mouse off what it truly was, so the arrows weren't going to where my cursor was.
It works fine for me and everyone else, so not sure what went wrong in your case. Could you record your screen while playing it and send the video to me?

O.Stogden

Here's the video, think it's to do with my window scaling being set to 150%, it means I can scroll up and down in your game. When I scroll down, it throws the co-ordinates off, it's fine if I keep it scrolled to the top, but can't see adrenaline bar then.

Not much you can do on your end I don't think, and it shouldn't affect many players.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.

Here's the video, think it's to do with my window scaling being set to 150%, it means I can scroll up and down in your game. When I scroll down, it throws the co-ordinates off, it's fine if I keep it scrolled to the top, but can't see adrenaline bar then.

Not much you can do on your end I don't think, and it shouldn't affect many players.
Thanks for the video! I can reproduce the same issue if I zoom into the page. I'll create a thread for it.

EDIT: I fixed it, please test now

Last edited:
M

Misty

Combat seems improved since we last spoke. But eh...seems a bit hollow like not much to do.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Combat seems improved since we last spoke. But eh...seems a bit hollow like not much to do.
Did you read the "to be added" list in the original post?

To be added:
  • Abilities (mega attacks) that use up adrenaline
  • Procedurally generated arena environment: spikes, fire, etc.
  • Menu for adjusting the wave variables so that you can play the game your way
  • Maybe a mobile version