• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Textures not being created, and failing to load image.

Chris Smith

So I've updated the runtime, the IDE, my computer, and everything. This problem was happening on the previous version and runtime as well. Also of note is that this was happening on my laptop, so I moved to my desktop and the same thing was happening.
I haven't used GMS2 in several months. But I started a project, and I first noticed that when I create a font resource, text wouldn't draw to the screen. But it would work if I wasn't using a font that I created (in other words, I was just using the default font). I assumed it was a problem with fonts. But I realized, I hadn't tried drawing anything else to screen, and I can confirm that sprites won't draw either. When I run debug, the texture appears to be empty - but I'm not an expert with debug at all.
In the output log, I get no notification of a failure to access the font. But when I created a sprite for it to draw on the screen, that failed to draw, and the log showed that it failed to access the file.

could not open file C:\Users\chris\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\test5\sprites\Sprite1\d73dbb26-5eb5-4323-92c2-9e079c518547.png, using blank 16x16 replacement : Access to the path 'C:\Users\chris\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\test5\sprites\Sprite1\d73dbb26-5eb5-4323-92c2-9e079c518547.png' is denied.
Failed to load image C:\Users\chris\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\test5\sprites\Sprite1\d73dbb26-5eb5-4323-92c2-9e079c518547.png
I was able to find and open that file myself in windows though.

I've since started 5 projects in an attempt to see if I could get drawing to work, and GMS2 just will not draw anything to the screen for me.
Here's short video showing everything from scratch.

I'm just posting this here to see if anybody has ANYTHING for me now, before I submit a bug report to Yoyo.

It's an issue with your antivirus software. You have to make exceptions within it for the paths under Preferences > General Settings > Paths. If that continues to fail, create a new folder in the root of your C: drive, replicate the paths in there, copy over your project and work from there instead.

Chris Smith

Yup. You're right. I disabled firewall, and Avast, and it worked. Re-enabled firewall, still worked, enabled Avast, stopped working again.
I've created exceptions in Avast, but it doesn't seem to help. So I did what you said and created a folder with new folders for all the paths listed, and then redirected the paths there. Also copied the projects to the new folder.
And it's working now. 👌🙌💖