• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Texture scaling shrinks sprites - UV issue, or intended behavior?

L

LukeLC

I'm designing my current project to a 1080p standard. However, some of my assets ideally need to be above 2K to give some flexibility for zooming/panning. This is all fine and good on my PC when running with texture pages set to 4096x4096, but some of my low-end test devices struggle with this resolution. IIRC, in the past I was able to set textures to a lower resolution but in-game sprite size would be maintained. Now though, I'm not able to retain sprite size without manually resizing the assets and then scaling them all back to normal in real-time.

Upon Googling, I came across this thread which presents the exact same issue: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gml_pragma-problems-with-scale-texture.35954/ - the response seems to imply it's a bug, but nothing has been fixed since then, and the user was specifically using gml_pragma to scale texture groups. I've tried this method as well, plus using the normal texture page UI, checking and unchecking various texture group options, and the same results occur in every case. I've also tried clearing the cache and running various GML functions related to drawing and textures. I can also confirm this is an issue in both GMS 1 and GMS 2.

Oddly enough, this doesn't seem to be a problem for all sprites (further suggesting this is a bug). To take things to the extreme, I loaded up a 4K project and ran it with textures set to 2048x2048. The characters (which are actually 5K resolution) and background all display correctly, but the textbox is shrunk, as seen below.

My expectation is that reducing texture page size wouldn't affect UVs and so the sprite would get drawn as the same physical size, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. What gives?