Texture page and sprite px size

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Stasky, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Stasky

Stasky Member

I am considering using Game Maker Studio 2 to make my first mobile game/app and before I make the plunge and purchase the license I would like to clear some of my concerns.

Most of my sprites are around 400 by 700px, (for most of the game, making them smaller reduces the quality and not suitable for my app).
    I will have around 500-600 sprites, possibly all in one texture group. In two of the rooms I will have the user decide which of the 500+ sprites appear, however not more than 50 at the same time. For these rooms I can make set of sprites smaller at 200x500px. I calculated that in this case I will only use 8 texture pages (including background) instead of 30 or so. Can't make them smaller for other rooms and scaling up is not an option.
    I will have almost no animation.
    My targets are Android and iOS platforms.
    Resolution 1080x1920.
    30FPS, most likely

Here are the q's...
    1) Making two sets of sprites (400x700 and 200x500) - is having performance boost of having less texture swaps outweighs larger overall app size?
    2) I can't find definitive info about how 1mb png sprite vs 2 mb sprite upload into Gms2 affects the size of the game. Is it going by 2048x2048 texture page size of ~16mb or what I upload (average 1.5mb per png)?

3) Big question is..is GMS 2 for me? Can I make my high res game/ app work?
    Any input is highly appreciated as I spent a year prepping art for this.

2. Yal

Yal Member GMC Elder

Usually performance isn't affected too much by the total amount of stuff in the game file, it's texture page swaps and how many sprites you draw at once that's the main things slowing your game down. Making different texture groups for things that are the most likely to show up at once (e.g. the Forest tileset, the Forest backgrounds, the Forest enemies could be in one texture group) helps speeding things up, but it's not a panacea.

Might be too late for now, but usually having your sprites be powers of 2 makes them more efficient (they fit more nicely into texture pages).

PNG size is influenced by a bunch of different things, like how many colors you use. Different programs compress them in different ways, so GM texture pages might get smaller than the raw PNGs if you create them with a naive program like MS paint. But if your sprites are already maximally compressed, they simply can't use any less space than that.