• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Text display issues in HTML5

pmarin

Hi! I am having some display issues in the HTML5 version of my game, which are not present in the Windows version.

I made a top-down racing game in GM 1.4.9999 and the current laptimes are displayed on screen. In windows, the timer is drawn perfectly, but on HTML5 there are some glitches, although the font is drawn without problems, the width of the text shown varies and there seems to be some ghosting with the text drawn on previous frames.

I tried disabling OpenGL, making it mandatory, but the problem persists. I also thought that it was an issue by the way that HTML browsers make divisions (the amount of decimals), and used rounding to avoid it, but the problem persists.

I think its easier seen than explained, here is the link to the game, just start any race and watch the timer: https://misterakuma.itch.io/pretend-cars

Any help or ideas on what to look for would be greatly appreciated!

pmarin

I found a way to mitigate the problem with two changes, its not flawless but results are much better. I'll post them here to help others with a similar issue.

1. I rounded the timer to 1 decimal place, which minimizes the visual glitches
2. As multiples views dont work in HTML5, I was using a method to copy those view to different surfaces but it seems that there are some issues with the way that I implemented it. I tried an asset by Felix Paulsen to do the same and it works better (it uses view_surface_id which I wasn't using before). Here is the link to that asset: https://felix-paulsen.itch.io/html-split-screen-asset (I had to rework it as it doesnt work when you have a port with different size than your view)