• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Visual Text and Collisions. Am I missing a step?

Newbie here, thanks to the support of the community thus far I have actually started to make some progress in my first ever game development journey. Thank you! Now I am trying to have text appear when my main player collides with an NPC sprite. I thought I could simply create a Collison event for the NPC Object or the Player Object, and then for the event do a Draw Text Value and it would work. I also tried assign a variable first and do a Draw Transformed Value. However when the Player and NPC collide nothing happens. Am I missing a step or some sort of action? Thank you and have a Happy New Year!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Anything drawn outside of a Draw event will be overwritten by the room background. Find a way to signal that text should be drawn (e.g. a boolean variable) and separate your code into checking for collisions and drawing, and have the latter part happen in the Draw event.

Anything drawn outside of a Draw event will be overwritten by the room background. Find a way to signal that text should be drawn (e.g. a boolean variable) and separate your code into checking for collisions and drawing, and have the latter part happen in the Draw event.
Thank you. I will give that a try. This community truly is great!