Tetris Clone Tutorial is up!

Let's Clone

GM Version: 1.4
Target Platform: Windows/Mac OSX
Download: N/A
Links: (Assets) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jw460k5gnslninl/AABvNe_mZ_ahP9zgWImJXHTXa?dl=0

Summary:
Welcome to Let's Clone! I've been working hard to finish up Tetris so I can start uploading this clone tutorial, and the time is finally here! Part one is up and future parts will be up shortly.
This is a relatively simple tutorial that will introduce data structures such as ds_grids to keep track of what pieces are on the board. Overall, this should be a pretty fun tutorial if you're just getting started with game development! =]

Tutorial:

I hope you enjoy! And if you have any question about the code or suggestions for future clone tutorials, feel free to comment here or send me a PM.
Much love!

Let's Clone

What's goodie, Devs!

I just finished uplaoding Part 2 and I'm gonna get right to work on Part 3 so you can expect that to be up either tonight or tomorrow morning!
I've been loving all the feedback I've been getting from these tutorials. So stoked that I've been able to help inspire some of y'all to develop some games ^_^

Let's Clone

Part 3 made its way into existence.
A bit tedious, but needed to be done... haha
Nearly this entire video is just putting in the sprites for all of the shapes and shadows, but I've done so in what I believe to be the simplest way I could. The next part (uploading tonight or tomorrow) will turn this into a functioning tetris game.

Let's Clone

Part 4 finally turns this into a playable game of Tetris.
Last on the list is to implement a Score system and add some polish.

Let's Clone

Final part is in boys!
Tetris was super fun to make, and hopefully fun to follow along with. I'm gonna start on some larger tutorial projects now that might take some time to complete, but I'll try to pump out another small game (maybe snake or minesweeper?) in the mean time.

Hope you enjoy!

R

Raul Rivera

I'm certainly gonna need to subscribe to this and follow it, I'd dig working on a Tetris clone.

S

Slava

Capture.PNG I've tried to do it myself, but I ran into issues translating this from gamemaker 1 - 2. In particular, with the exact same code for dropping the shapes, They create shadows of themselves. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Taddio

View attachment 22934 I've tried to do it myself, but I ran into issues translating this from gamemaker 1 - 2. In particular, with the exact same code for dropping the shapes, They create shadows of themselves. Any ideas as to how to fix this?
Looks like you don't use a background...are the sprites "printing" on your BG, or I didn't understand correctly?
If it's the case, just put a placeholder BG, or make it colored!

dmtcd

I'm working on it with Game Maker 2 and really confused with the "instance_create() ".

After researching, I decided to use instance_create_layer and it worked in part 1. But then in part 2, I use "instance_create_layer(x, y, 0, obj_Shapes)", when the square comes down outside the room and get destroyed with "instance_destroy()", no frame come up on the top like at 7:05 in part 2.
I've been struggling to figure it out but still stucked.

I'm working on it with Game Maker 2 and really confused with the "instance_create() ".

After researching, I decided to use instance_create_layer and it worked in part 1. But then in part 2, I use "instance_create_layer(x, y, 0, obj_Shapes)", when the square comes down outside the room and get destroyed with "instance_destroy()", no frame come up on the top like at 7:05 in part 2.
I've been struggling to figure it out but still stucked.
If you're following the tutorial and adopting it to GMS2.x, you've to make some changes and adjustments. One of which is what you've already found out. GMS2 doesn't use "instance_create(x, y, obj)", you've to change it to "instance_create_layer(x, y, layer, obj)" or "instance_create_depth(x, y, depth, obj)". And there are more adjustments you'll have to make as you follow along the tutorial, or even if you use his completed source code, since again it was made using GMS1. Keep referring to the manual to check if the old functions are still valid for use in GMS2, if marked obsolete - make adjustments. But fyi, there are some flaws that you'll have to figure out yourself once you've completed all 5 videos, I can't remember what they were, been too long ago since I followed along.

As for your question about 7:05, if you think you've followed to the T so far, check your sprite collision mask. Compare it with his.

Last edited: