Tetris Clone Tutorial is up!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Abrexas, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

GM Version: 1.4
    Target Platform: Windows/Mac OSX
    Download: N/A
    Links: (Assets) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jw460k5gnslninl/AABvNe_mZ_ahP9zgWImJXHTXa?dl=0

Summary:
    Welcome to Let's Clone! I've been working hard to finish up Tetris so I can start uploading this clone tutorial, and the time is finally here! Part one is up and future parts will be up shortly.
    This is a relatively simple tutorial that will introduce data structures such as ds_grids to keep track of what pieces are on the board. Overall, this should be a pretty fun tutorial if you're just getting started with game development! =]

Tutorial:

I hope you enjoy! And if you have any question about the code or suggestions for future clone tutorials, feel free to comment here or send me a PM.
    Much love!

Mert and NeZvers like this.
  2. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

What's goodie, Devs!

I just finished uplaoding Part 2 and I'm gonna get right to work on Part 3 so you can expect that to be up either tonight or tomorrow morning!
    I've been loving all the feedback I've been getting from these tutorials. So stoked that I've been able to help inspire some of y'all to develop some games ^_^

3. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Part 3 made its way into existence.
    A bit tedious, but needed to be done... haha
    Nearly this entire video is just putting in the sprites for all of the shapes and shadows, but I've done so in what I believe to be the simplest way I could. The next part (uploading tonight or tomorrow) will turn this into a functioning tetris game.

4. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Part 4 finally turns this into a playable game of Tetris.
    Last on the list is to implement a Score system and add some polish.

5. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Final part is in boys!
    Tetris was super fun to make, and hopefully fun to follow along with. I'm gonna start on some larger tutorial projects now that might take some time to complete, but I'll try to pump out another small game (maybe snake or minesweeper?) in the mean time.

Hope you enjoy!

mamacato likes this.
  6. Raul Rivera

Raul Rivera Member

I'm certainly gonna need to subscribe to this and follow it, I'd dig working on a Tetris clone.

Abrexas likes this.
  7. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Many thanks! Hope you enjoy.

8. Jack McRip

Jack McRip Member

Thank you for this Tutorials :)

9. Slava

Slava Member

Capture.PNG I've tried to do it myself, but I ran into issues translating this from gamemaker 1 - 2. In particular, with the exact same code for dropping the shapes, They create shadows of themselves. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  10. Taddio

Taddio Member

Looks like you don't use a background...are the sprites "printing" on your BG, or I didn't understand correctly?
    If it's the case, just put a placeholder BG, or make it colored!