• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Test My Boss Ai

A

AlphaRedDragon

So i spent a couple hours working on the ai of a boss for my game. the controls are a&d to move left and right, mouse to shoot, space to jump,i uploaded a previous version in another post but this one is only for the boss AI, he is hard to kill but it is possible, i think. you can access the boss right away through the bottom right portal, or go through the 2 levels before him with the top right portal.i will let you figure out how to damage him, its very obvious please report any bugs you find so that i can fix them, thank you

Download
(https://www.mediafire.com/?szau6t6541ncj86)

Thank you for your help

also, any minor tweaks that i should make to player movement or how he shoots?

boss_room.PNG

lolslayer

I don't want to be a hater or something, but why did you use different pixel scales for the boss sprite? It's really ugly because of that :/

A

AlphaRedDragon

I don't want to be a hater or something, but why did you use different pixel scales for the boss sprite? It's really ugly because of that :/
It was upscaled, not the final design, just a place holder for now

KurtBlissZ

Hmm... I don't like starting the level all over again just because I didn't move left or right for 2 seconds...

D

darthlupi

Ah, so that is why I die. Holding still kills you? That is crazy hard to determine, and I hope that is not intended as a core mechanic.
I played through level 1 a bit, and I liked your level layout. I think this has potential, but it is not really ready to be play tested as a lot happens randomly to the player.

The boss overall seemed solid, but I wasn't sure what the goal was.
I am kinda a fan of predictable boss patterns. That could be something to add to make it a bit more fun.
Even something as simple as as long as alarm[0] > 0 then chase the player else float around shooting would be helpful to give a player a sense of rhythm.
Also, I think the boss dude shot a bit too much a bit too fast.

Please, for something not ready for release, do not package it in an installer as it will require clean up on the system afterwards.

I love the vibe, and I think it has the potential to be a good game with some love.
Keep going!

A

AlphaRedDragon

Ah, so that is why I die. Holding still kills you? That is crazy hard to determine, and I hope that is not intended as a core mechanic.
I played through level 1 a bit, and I liked your level layout. I think this has potential, but it is not really ready to be play tested as a lot happens randomly to the player.

The boss overall seemed solid, but I wasn't sure what the goal was.
I am kinda a fan of predictable boss patterns. That could be something to add to make it a bit more fun.
Even something as simple as as long as alarm[0] > 0 then chase the player else float around shooting would be helpful to give a player a sense of rhythm.
Also, I think the boss dude shot a bit too much a bit too fast.

Please, for something not ready for release, do not package it in an installer as it will require clean up on the system afterwards.

I love the vibe, and I think it has the potential to be a good game with some love.
Keep going!

Thank you for your feedback, I have been debating weather I should leave the timer in and I think I will remove it. The boss still needs a lot of work to be finished but I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it. This project is a really big learning experience for me as it is a big step up from linear platformers. I am planning on adding a lot more to this. I will take your comment into account, thank you