• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Test launch freezes computer

S

Skashi95

Heya all, I hope my English is fine:

So I have been working on a game for two years now and the resources gather up to +800 MB already.
When I launch the game to test, it becomes more and more laggy and my computer is practically unusable.
Since yesterday the lag stands for around 30 minutes until the game finally starts. Sometimes, after closing the game down, Game Maker Studio crashes completely.

After removing some of the resources, the game launch flows better, so I assume the amount of resources I have are the problem.
But there must be a way to work with larger games, shouldn't it?

I'm still using Game Maker Studio 1, here are my specs:
specs.png

Thanks in advance!
Skashi~

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Are you managing the memory usage of these resources? Loading everything at the start may not be the best idea.

That aside, try loading an earlier backup of the game - does the problem exist there?

S

Skashi95

Are you managing the memory usage of these resources? Loading everything at the start may not be the best idea.

That aside, try loading an earlier backup of the game - does the problem exist there?
The older backups don't have that problem, no.
I already tried to find a way to optimize the loading, but I can't find any settings.
Or maybe my translation skills blind me. Where can I find it?

Last edited by a moderator:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If older versions don't exhibit the problem, I suspect it has nothing to do with resource management (which you can find in sound resources' properties and via the sprite_flush/prefetch and texture_flush/prefetch families of functions for graphics). Inspect changes between this backup and the game's current state for any potential near-infinite loops - this happening at the start or before the game starts is usually the cause when games take forever to load.

S

Skashi95

If older versions don't exhibit the problem, I suspect it has nothing to do with resource management (which you can find in sound resources' properties and via the sprite_flush/prefetch and texture_flush/prefetch families of functions for graphics). Inspect changes between this backup and the game's current state for any potential near-infinite loops - this happening at the start or before the game starts is usually the cause when games take forever to load.
The thing here is, as I mentioned, the game starts fine again since I removed a few resources. Those resources are pretty old and the game launched without problems back then too.
The last couple of days, the lag while launching grew with each day I added more content to the game until it hit it's freezing point.
The few resources I removed were huge sprites that contain huge image sequences up to 100MB.
Went well back then, but today, after that weight was taken off, it runs fine again.

Of course, I could wait out and see if the hefty lags return at some point, but it's a huge demotivation to be afraid that it could happen again. Also this lag approached slowly, so there is no overview what could have caused it.

About the graphics option, it doesn't seem to appear in my version:
graphics.png

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Skashi95

That version is 2 years old. Update to 1.4.9999. Does the issue persist?
I bought it as a steam app, and this product is no longer in the store, therefore I can't update it. The purchase of GMS2 would be the next step, which I can't do for now.

S

Skashi95

Log in to your account (make a new one if you don't have one), link your Steam account if needed, download the latest version from the downloads page and log in to the stand-alone version using your account.
So I had a wild discussion with the support team. For now I'm not able to update my version, nor use my license for a new one.
I'll come back to it when I get it.