• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE temp folder taking huge space in HD

Ricardo

Hi there,

I recently noticed my first HD was almost full, which was a big surprise. Investigating further, I discovered GMS2 temp folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP) was using a huge amount of space: 186 GB.

Curious about it, I went to the IDE preferences in General Settings > Paths and noticed that the option "Auto delete temp folder" is enabled. Then, I pressed the button "Delete temp folder" and that flushed the entire temp folder.

I assume there's a bug related to "Auto delete temp folder" option (as is enabled but the temp folder is not cleaned automatically), or maybe there's something else that I'm missing?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please File a bug as that should be working - it deletes temp on exit (or startup the next time) if it is is not doing it then that is a bug

Russell

Ricardo

Please File a bug as that should be working - it deletes temp on exit (or startup the next time) if it is is not doing it then that is a bug
Russell
The funny thing is that once I deleted the temp folder using the "Delete temp folder" the problem didn't happen anymore. Now the folder is flushed as expected. I suppose the issue was some kind of leftover config from a previous IDE version or something...

Edit: Nah, the folder is not being flushed automatically... I'll file a bug.

Last edited:
P

ph101

DId this bug get filed because it still happens. I had 109 gb temp files, even though automatically delete temp direcotry on close was ticked. Clicking delete Temp Folder removed them. ( edit. i filed it again anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:

Elevory

GMS2 has never been able to delete its temp files in my experience. I've tried moving the temp folder to another location thinking it was a permissions issue. No dice. The IDE generates permanent files every time I run a project.

kupo15

Hi there,

I recently noticed my first HD was almost full, which was a big surprise. Investigating further, I discovered GMS2 temp folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP) was using a huge amount of space: 186 GB.

Curious about it, I went to the IDE preferences in General Settings > Paths and noticed that the option "Auto delete temp folder" is enabled. Then, I pressed the button "Delete temp folder" and that flushed the entire temp folder.

I assume there's a bug related to "Auto delete temp folder" option (as is enabled but the temp folder is not cleaned automatically), or maybe there's something else that I'm missing?
thanks for bringing this to my attention, I was wondering why I was running out of space. Can I simply delete the root Temp folder or should I instead delete each folder inside of it?