Tell me your sleep paralysis experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megax60

Long time ago i woke up, and i heard someone in the closet saying my name 3 times, then i ran to turn on the light
( ̄~ ̄)

Another one i had, is that i was sleeping watching the wall (sry bad english) and then i saw an arm above me, i thought it was my brother, i was gonna turn around to punch him in the face (not really), but when i did... No one was in the room....... Tell me yours

I've had two experiences, both were during naps. I had never heard of sleep paralysis before this so I was surprised when I told friends about it and they knew what had happened. The thing I find most interesting is when I read about or heard about other people's experiences, they recount them as if they are the most terrifying things they have ever experienced. And whilst I can see how they might be scary, I didn't feel that. Mostly a little weirded out and I found the experiences interesting in the sense that they felt so real.

So, I was having a nap one late afternoon, laying on my side. Generally when I try to nap I don't fall asleep and just lay there resting and thinking or at least that's what I thought before this.
Eventually I felt something lightly touching my back which I just assumed was my hair(long hair). But eventually it started to feel like fingers, and then it felt like they were lightly caressing and massaging me, it was nice. Until I realised I was in bed alone, and that's when I realised I couldn't move or even open my eyes. The hands started applying more and more pressure, I was so sure I was awake but knew that couldn't be true. So I just started trying to move and will myself awake properly. I was clenching my fists and shaking until I finally burst awake. I shrugged it off and went back to sleep.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
I've only had it once, like where I actually could not move for a second. You guys seem to have it so that you get these dreams that seamlessly transition between reality and back. I've had that too, but never combined with paralysis. A common dream along these lines that I have is where I'll have a pencil, drop it, wake up, and spend a long time searching for it before I realize it was a dream.

Edit- it's hard to wake up from a nightmare. The best way I found is to slam your head straight into something really hard (in the dream.)

Jabbers

One of the most memorable experiences I had was a skeletal woman brushing my forehead as I fell asleep. I felt completely calm when I experienced this, and I learned that it's a phenomenon referred to as the old hag. Shortly after it happened, I fell asleep into a dream. Being conscious of the transitional between being awake and being in a dream is especially strange, although it's hard to draw the line between what is experienced as sleep paralysis and what is a false impression of believing one is still awake. I frequently experience feelings of being immobilised after waking up or while falling asleep, but it doesn't bother me.

TheouAegis

I dreamt a bulding collapsed on me and shattered my spine; when I woke up,I was paralyzed. I dreamt that I woke up from a dream and fell back asleep into a lnother dream and woke up again and lapsed into another dream, until finally a voice in my last dream shouted, "Wake up! This is all still a dream!" Then I woke up for real finally. I once freamt my girlfriend at the time was laying next to me and went to put my arm around her, but she wasn't there; I woke up but was still out of it enough that I looked for her under my pillow... And I sleep walk a lot (not lately, though); I'm aware of my surroundings, but they are not the actualsurroundings I'm seeing (like opening a door in tge dream and waking up looking out a window).

But never seeing apparitions. :(

Although I did feel a terrifying presence in my parents' house once while wide awake...

I've had half-dreams where I'm pretty sure I was seeing my actual room/pillow, but with wasps/bees on my pillow multiple times. Apparently I'm really worried about being stung by bees while I sleep, hahah. This particular waking dream has probably happened about five times during my life. Not really common, but common enough for me to remember, lol.

The worst sleep paralysis I've ever had, which felt like I was *completely awake,* but simply couldn't move was when I woke up one day and saw a horrifying demonic looking figure crouching beside me about a foot away from my bed, just staring at me. I wanted to scream, but just kind of sucked my breath in slowly while I tried to move for a few seconds to get away from it or shield myself or whatever. Then finally, I moved and spazzed out everywhere, and it was gone. That was 💩💩💩💩ing awful. One of the scariest things I've ever experienced, but that was like ten years ago, and it's never happened again, thankfully. I've heard stories of people who go through this sleep paralysis 💩💩💩💩 on a weekly or even daily basis. That must be horrible. :x

Also, with these sleep paralysis things, I've always wondered if we're actually awake and receiving visual info through our eyes and then hallucinating extra visuals on top of what we're seeing AR style, or if we're just completely asleep still, and very vividly dreaming about our bedrooms? It could be either I guess, hahah! Either way, it's always scary! D:

TheouAegis

Apparently the dream-within-a-dream episode bothered me enough that I recounted it on my blog at the time:
http://theouaegis.tumblr.com/post/51242762156
It really was a case of sleep paralysis too; I had forgotten that I had been trying to move each time I "awoke". I can't even remember if my cat was actually laying between my legs or if it was all in my head -- I never pet her like I had been trying to. The dream was so chaotic and stressful that I honestly thought maybe I was on the brink of losing my mind.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I was 13. I woke up to someone touching my shoulder, opened my eyes and there was a dark, small ghost floating above me. It disappeared into thin air.

Other than that, I used to get sleep paralysis all the time (I don't anymore). I would have to try my best to come out of it; if I didn't, I would fall into hallucinations.

Oh and, I just remembered this one time something interesting happened. I woke up sleep paralyzed; I could look around, but not move my head. I could move my hands, but not my physical hands. I could speak, but no one could hear me. I could see them all, but to them I was asleep. It was a nightmare.

Of course, the teen me back then thought my soul came out of my body, but now I'm not as sure what it was. It sure does sound like that but it could as well be a bad hallucination.

Niels

I had it 3 times:
-1st time I was about 8 years old and I woke up at night and I saw something that kinda looked like a black hole (some black swirling hole that was darker than my room) on the other side of the room (where my door should be) and I couldn't move or scream for what seemed like minutes.
-2th time I was about 12 year old and I woke up at night and I saw a shade of what seemed like a old woman next to my bed. She sat on her knees, with her hands on her face (like she was crying), when I panicked my body wouldn't respond.
-3th time I was in the army and I woke up at night and someone was leaning over my bed in a unnatural way (from the feed end) and again I was frozen for some time before I could hit the light switch.

Never could make out if I was awake during those "appearances" or I was still asleep and woke up at the moment I could move.

F

Forester

The first sleep paralysis experience I ever had featured Yal and Tsuka as evil people trying to trap me in a room that had walls made of living flesh. I desperately tried to get out of the weird constructed room and when I did, I awoke with a green vampire face hovering over me while I was stuck for a few mins, unable to move. it was genuinely terrifying, as random as it sounds. (this was back when i was very active on the old GMC)

Megax60

I had another s.p. and realized it is more common if you wake up and sleep

I was laying on my side, i woke up, and everything was normal for a few seconds, but then i was launched from the bed, and back in a instant, then everything was like glitching, black squares were appearing and dissapearing everywere, something was pushing my from above like a driller, i knew it was not real so i ignored it, then i dont remember exactly why, but i closed my eyes cause i saw something in front of my face, i think it was an eye, i closed my eyes and started to move, but i could barely move, eventually everything stoped

N

nlolotte

My girlfriend had this the other night. She said someone was calling out her name and holding her down by her chest. At first she thought it was my arm over her but the voice got louder and the feeling got heavier. Eventually she woke up crying but could still hear someone calling ehr name. Weird stuff.

Fanatrick

Oh, man. Where do I even start.

First time I remember it happening would be in high-school. One night I had a "nightmarish" sensation where I could see a creature in front of me, just staring at me while my heart was racing as I was feeling like the creature was silently threatening to harm me. I'm not sure how long this lasted, what I remember is slowly regaining the control of my body, the hallucination slowly fading away as I finally started feeling awake. Now, I'll just start by saying I'm usually the biggest skeptic in the room, but I was interested and couldn't let the sensation go. Generally we would skip a class or two in high-school due to our homeroom teacher being very forgiving in terms of our juvenile behavior. I discussed this thoroughly with couple of friends during our "break" and we would spend next few days talking just about dreams and stuff. I remember running into an article somewhere few days later, about trying to force sleep paralysis.

I tried it out and to my surprise it worked, first try. This time it started by me being fully aware of what was about to happen, I remember how it manifested as a sensation of fear and paranoia. I couldn't move anymore, I was somewhere between being awake and dreaming. My thoughts started to jumble and I started to see a figure forming out of what usually would be my desk chair. The blinking light from my PC was suddenly glowing very bright, and all I could stupidly think of in that moment was "ALIENS ARE HERE TO TAKE ME". I couldn't move at all, I remember trying really hard, to no avail. I was slowly getting drenched in sweat, and after a while the hallucinations faded away, giving form back to my chair. I was very startled by the experience, so I put off scaring myself 💩💩💩💩less for the time being.

And then it happened again, way worse than ever. This was around 4 years ago when I returned home after a very tiring day. Spent a whole summer day out without sleeping the previous night, I instantly crashed the moment I got home. I remember the breeze coming from the window was very soothing, my focused thoughts about it keeping me from falling asleep. And then the usual sensation of fear kicked in. This time I was directed to the wall next to my bed and I couldn't see anything else. The lights slowly started fading away as dusk was approaching and I could feel something slowly creeping in from my feet up to my face. The creature was next to my ears but I couldn't move a muscle. My heart was racing and all I could think of was "okay this is the end, I'm going to die, I hope he just eats my head quickly", but the creature just kept looming behind my back, cussing at me and creeping from every angle. I started feeling the pressure slowly pressing me to the bed from above and I felt like I was at the very edge of the bed, just about to fall off. This persisted for who knows how long and like usually I slowly started regaining consciousness and control of my body. But this time it was different. One of those sudden summer storms started and I was still terrified and panicking, scared about the creature. The sudden change in atmosphere definitely didn't help my emotions. Even though I was starting to feel fully awake, the paranoia persisted. I was too afraid to get out of my bed, even more afraid to leave my room for good 5 minutes due to my belief of this creature still roaming around, until finally coming to my rational senses. That's the first time I legit felt paralyzed and unable to do anything but race against my thoughts, while fully awake.

Luckily I don't recall similar things happening ever since. There's a nightmare every now and then but nothing this vividly close to an experience akin reality.

Megax60

My girlfriend had this the other night. She said someone was calling out her name and holding her down by her chest. At first she thought it was my arm over her but the voice got louder and the feeling got heavier. Eventually she woke up crying but could still hear someone calling ehr name. Weird stuff.
Ye, you can still hear things even after you wake up, but its only for a few seconds, it happened to me

Megax60

Oh, man. Where do I even start.

First time I remember it happening would be in high-school. One night I had a "nightmarish" sensation where I could see a creature in front of me, just staring at me while my heart was racing as I was feeling like the creature was silently threatening to harm me. I'm not sure how long this lasted, what I remember is slowly regaining the control of my body, the hallucination slowly fading away as I finally started feeling awake. Now, I'll just start by saying I'm usually the biggest skeptic in the room, but I was interested and couldn't let the sensation go. Generally we would skip a class or two in high-school due to our homeroom teacher being very forgiving in terms of our juvenile behavior. I discussed this thoroughly with couple of friends during our "break" and we would spend next few days talking just about dreams and stuff. I remember running into an article somewhere few days later, about trying to force sleep paralysis.

I tried it out and to my surprise it worked, first try. This time it started by me being fully aware of what was about to happen, I remember how it manifested as a sensation of fear and paranoia. I couldn't move anymore, I was somewhere between being awake and dreaming. My thoughts started to jumble and I started to see a figure forming out of what usually would be my desk chair. The blinking light from my PC was suddenly glowing very bright, and all I could stupidly think of in that moment was "ALIENS ARE HERE TO TAKE ME". I couldn't move at all, I remember trying really hard, to no avail. I was slowly getting drenched in sweat, and after a while the hallucinations faded away, giving form back to my chair. I was very startled by the experience, so I put off scaring myself ****less for the time being.

And then it happened again, way worse than ever. This was around 4 years ago when I returned home after a very tiring day. Spent a whole summer day out without sleeping the previous night, I instantly crashed the moment I got home. I remember the breeze coming from the window was very soothing, my focused thoughts about it keeping me from falling asleep. And then the usual sensation of fear kicked in. This time I was directed to the wall next to my bed and I couldn't see anything else. The lights slowly started fading away as dusk was approaching and I could feel something slowly creeping in from my feet up to my face. The creature was next to my ears but I couldn't move a muscle. My heart was racing and all I could think of was "okay this is the end, I'm going to die, I hope he just eats my head quickly", but the creature just kept looming behind my back, cussing at me and creeping from every angle. I started feeling the pressure slowly pressing me to the bed from above and I felt like I was at the very edge of the bed, just about to fall off. This persisted for who knows how long and like usually I slowly started regaining consciousness and control of my body. But this time it was different. One of those sudden summer storms started and I was still terrified and panicking, scared about the creature. The sudden change in atmosphere definitely didn't help my emotions. Even though I was starting to feel fully awake, the paranoia persisted. I was too afraid to get out of my bed, even more afraid to leave my room for good 5 minutes due to my belief of this creature still roaming around, until finally coming to my rational senses. That's the first time I legit felt paralyzed and unable to do anything but race against my thoughts, while fully awake.

Luckily I don't recall similar things happening ever since. There's a nightmare every now and then but nothing this vividly close to an experience akin reality.
Dude, after reading all that i see white lines everywhere i see, but its fading slowly

Ill make a creature using that, i call it, the white lines monster

J

JayR

Once, I was talking to a friend about quantum theory and forgot I had left the kettle on. I had to do something about it. I believe the potato chips were stale so I had to get a napkin and pour myself a cup of tea. It was good. I figured if my friend could help it wouldn't take long. We prepared and headed towards the farm where I had left my teapot. To my horror, I left my phone back at home. I couldn't go on in life without it. Else, it will drive me mad. To ease my madness I quickly started building a sand castle to keep my sanity in check. I couldn't believe how something so small can be so precious. The napkin to button trade was the best thing that has ever happened in my life. Now I have an extra button but no shirt. I rest my case and went back to sleep.

N

Nathan Archer

I don't have sleep paralysis but I have something similar. It's like sleep paralysis but I think a different part of my brain stays off. I see demons and monsters and things, but I'm able to get up and fight them. It only really lasts about a few seconds or so, but it's enough time for me to do and believe some weird things. It doesn't come with just visual hallucinations but it also comes with delusions. Something about it always sends me into fight or flight mode.

Some I can think of off the top of my head:

1. The most common thing I see is a camera. Just a standard security camera, kind of with a cone like head and an adjustable neck so it could peer all around the room. I usually get up and try and grab it before it sinks back into the wall/mirror/picture frame/window. Of course I never get it, but it weirds me out and allows me to empathize with schizophrenics a lot is that of the 5 or so instances where it's happened, my reasoning part of my brain is shut off and my stream of thought it always "I knew it. I knew I was being watched this whole time. All those past times where I realized it was just a waking hallucination and the camera was fake- those were real. Everyone IS out to get me. These cameras are proof, they're watching me."; if I'd be able to reason with myself any of those times, I'd point out how dumb it would be for a camera to be set up to watch someone sleep, when they're not doing anything. But that's the thing, that reasoning part of my brain is shut off

2. My roommate is trying to kill me, I attack him with my pillow. Happened twice.

3. Thought my girlfriend was some kind of lovecraftian monster. I attacked her with my pillow. She got angry at me, I replied "Sorry I thought you were an octopus"

4. I wake up, run out of the room because my RA and friends had some kind of conspiracy to kill me.

5. I wake up, run out of my grandparents basement because I have this delusion that little men/elves/gnomes or something were trying to attack me and only were able to kill me if I thought a certain thought for a long enough time. Sprinted halfway up the stairs before I came to my senses.

6. Saw a demon by my door, have the delusion that it already killed my parents from my nightmare, get up to attack but end up just knocking stuff over on my desk.

7. Saw a monster by the door, in my half-awake state, my girlfriend is there and I ask her "Is that real?"; she comforts me and reasons with me before it fades away and I realize what is what

8. Can't remember what I felt or saw but I grabbed a pillow and ran halfway down the stairs before I got ahold of myself and went back to bed.

I was once able to recall exactly what it felt like just before I had an episode of sleep paralysis. Because of that, what I was able to do was to put myself right back into that feeling and thus trigger additional episodes over and over again for about 10 minutes. I wouldn't be able to explain how I did this now, but at the time it seemed simple.

One of the strangest things about sleep paralysis is that you feel like you're moving. Your brain will simulate the sensation of movement, you will even think you feel the weight of your sheets as you press against them. But if you look down at your arms and legs, you can see that aren't actually moving at all. Similarly, if you try to screem, you will feel like you are, but you wont make a sound.

Last edited:

Bluetail7

Ah sleep paralysis.
That feeling when you go take a rest and still awake, then you try to get up and bam, you can't move anymore. Moving in panic does nothing, shaking your hands in desesperation didn't do much either, I remember my breath being forced as I was running out of air, then I remember trying to scream, but nobody was any closer when that happened, I decided to stay in silence and do what I meant, relax and chill, but now my body forced me to stay longer, it felt like an eternity as you could get any control of your extremities, but at the same time, your body tells when it's done, that moment when the body speaks for itself, is a moment where you wonder "who's in control now?", maybe it's a desperate way to say that we need that rest, but who knows, running out of air wasn't that relaxing, it comes across bad thoughts of your life getting over within seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.