• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Tell me about GMS2 Web

B

Brainworm

Hey,
since all the GMS2 stuff is on sale at Humble, I am thinking about getting the Web-Version as an addition to my Desktop-Version, but I am unsure about it, because I read some negative reviews about the exporters (especially Android) and I am not sure what I can expect from it.
So, if I understand that correctly, if I purchase the Web-Exporter, I can just chose web as a target and get an html and some js files and I could just uploadt that to Game Jolt and Itch.io, is it really that easy?
What about certain features? My first game has a very simple highscore, which is saved via a ds_map. Would this work in the web version too and safe the highscore in a cookie or something?
Please share your experiences with me, thank you!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
So, if I understand that correctly, if I purchase the Web-Exporter, I can just chose web as a target and get an html and some js files and I could just uploadt that to Game Jolt and Itch.io, is it really that easy?
Yes, it is pretty much!

What about certain features? My first game has a very simple highscore, which is saved via a ds_map. Would this work in the web version too and safe the highscore in a cookie or something?
Yes it'll do that too, without any issues.

Please share your experiences with me, thank you!
Well, in general, if it works on Windows it'll work on the HTML5 target... However, as with everything in life, there are exceptions... By that I mean, the more complex the game, the more possibilities that you'll have to change how some things are done since - while there is a 95% parity between platforms - that 5% that's different can cause you issues. That said, YYG have been working hard recently to remove that 5% that's different and make the HTML5 target as equal to the others as possible. Certainly, my own experience of maing games for HTML5 has been pretty much trouble-free.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Some functionality is platform-specific while other functionality is cross-platform. Adaptions to such features may need a rework for each export target, but other than that, the code base (which is your whole project) for all exports is the same.

What you can expect from any exporter is a bit of set-up work (guides are available on the helpdesk), a bit of getting used to which stuff works on one platform but not on another (most of which is documented in the manual), having to make some changes to your code base for the obvious (touch controls, file I/O...) and the not so obvious things that aren't cross-platform, potentially licensing fees, agreements that need to be signed and applications that need to be approved for some exports (mainly mobile and console exports - research this beforehand on the third party's website, as these fees and requirements are not instated by YoYo Games - this does not apply to HTML5 though), potentially some troubleshooting with getting a test run working for the first time and figuring out what may or may not work differently on this platform... followed by a hopefully working export of your game. Initial setup aside, for the most part it's a 3-click process of selecting the export target and pressing export.