GameMaker Teething questions about GM2

andev

Question 1
Will there ever be an option to disable the splash screen on mac, at the very least for testing? That 2 seconds of waiting is essentially 2 extra seconds of compile time.

Question 2
Is there any plan to support the old way of writing arguments? Having to write out the whole
/// @arg <name>
/// @arg <name>
/// @arg <name>
/// @arg <name>
/// @arg <name>
is rather tiresome for prototyping test scripts?

I liked the flow of being able to just type out the script, imagining I was about to use it, typing in all the arguments I needed to pass in. Having to stagger it all like this breaks my flow every time.

Question 3
Will there ever be the option to disable the automatic bracket completion? As someone constantly switching between Gm1.4 and 2 (as my main projects are still in 1.4), I constantly find myself fighting with the autocomplete.

There's an option in settings that disables code completions, but that includes the drop down menu as you type (which I use a lot). It also made me notice the option to toggle that is missing from the code window :(

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
2. A workaround, but I did recently add argument comment auto-fill to GMEdit - this lets you write a "#args" line which expands into argument variable declarations on save and now also used to avoid writing argument comments by hand.
args-doc.gif
3. Said software also works the same way for GMS1 and GMS2, but whether this is any help depends on whether you are content with using an external code editor alongside with GM.

rIKmAN

For question 2, edit your snippets.txt file to include the comment code block, then you can just press F4 and select it from the snippets menu to insert the whole jsdoc section with the press of number key.

You still have to fill out the specifics, but it saves having to write out the template for it.