• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Technical Answers (for room size too)

G

Ggbah

Here we go,

There are a lot of tricky questions out there, about what game maker can do and can't do. From what i understand there is way more than it can then that which it can't.

First off,
When it comes to multiplayer, peer-2-peer, or server style(mmo style) games, can game maker compete?

on a more relative note. I'm trying to make an open world game (not an mmo), and i'm curious what kind of issues do you run into for massive room's? what can you do to keep the memory managed for massive rooms with no transitions?

if i have to transition to other rooms what are some techniques to keep the feeling of it being a large room size?

C

CornerLord

on a more relative note. I'm trying to make an open world game (not an mmo), and i'm curious what kind of issues do you run into for massive room's? what can you do to keep the memory managed for massive rooms with no transitions?
The room size doesnt make game to lag but caused by many active objects. I have made 2D Minecraft copy with infinite room and it didn't lag at all etc. In gamemaker you can deactivate instances for example when they aren't in your view.

RangerX

The classic problem you will encounter with open world games is the same with all engines.
You will get to a point where there's too much active stuff at the same time, reducing or killing your framerate.

However, there are ways to get around that problems with all engines including GMS :)

G

Ggbah

Thanks guys, I'll be looking into optimizing soon, when I start getting to the point where I am actually ready to create large rooms.

Thanks a bunch!