OFFICIAL TechBlog: DYNAMIC RENDERING MASKS

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mike, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike nobody important GMC Elder

https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/430/dynamic-rendering-masks

[​IMG]

So this is a quick one, but incredibly cool and valuable. When drawing to the screen (or a surface), most people only think about the colour, that is the red,green and blue channels, but actually there's also an alpha channel. Now it has a whole heap of issues if you're going to start using it to build sprites or generate screens or whatever, but one thing that's its REALLY good at, is being a mask......

2. True Valhalla

True Valhalla Full-Time Developer GMC Elder

Very cool effect, thanks for the write up!

3. hogwater

hogwater Member

Very cool. I've been thinking about how to implement some basic platformer player shadows, and this seems like a good way to do it.

4. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Member

This is awesome!! I was doing something similar with shaders, but this seems waaay more efficient. Really appreciate these write-ups.

5. Filipp_BSG

Filipp_BSG Member

That's a very nice feature, but it's a pity to read:
    Do you suppose that a way do do it in canvas mode uses surfaces? If so, it seems more heavy...

6. Hyomoto

Hyomoto Member

Hmm, I'll have to dig into this eventually. It sounds like it could be used to speed up certain rendering tasks though I'll admit, on the initial read I wasn't quite sure exactly what you were doing. More specifically I wasn't sure why what you were doing was producing the expected result :p I love your tech blogs, gives me stuff to think about and try! (Your page on binary is something that changed, quite fundamentally, how I code!)

7. jackquake

jackquake Member

Very cool indeed!

8. kupo15

kupo15 Member

Amazing, will have to reread it to understand it more but something very useful to know and I will definitely use it. Thanks for another fantastic tech blog!

9. RichHopefulComposer

RichHopefulComposer Member

Cool effect. Thanks for the write up, Mike.