OFFICIAL Tech: How Painting Works In Chicory: A Colorful Tale

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
The following blog comes from Greg Lobanov and is an exploration into how the interesting painting mechanic works in his latest game: Chicory: A Colorful Tale. If you found this interesting or want to share how your own game works. Please reach out to us!

Chicory: A Colorful Tale is a game that’s allllll about painting. Making it look good and feel good is a top priority for this game, but that brings lots of tough technical challenges. Multiple players have to be able to draw anywhere on the screen, any time, all at the same time together. All the objects in the game have to react to it instantly. And it has to do all of this while running as fast as possible, 60 times a second!

Figuring out how to make it work was one of my very first considerations, and as the game’s design has developed, the inner workings have developed with it to match. You probably aren’t going to make a mechanic like this in your own game, but if you’re anything like me, you know it’s super fun to learn how things were made — and along the way, I’ll get to show off lots of little techniques that might come in handy for you. :) So let’s talk about how it works!
https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/530/how-painting-works-in-chicory-a-colorful-tale