OFFICIAL Tech Blog : Introduction to Networking with GMS2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lee Chisholm, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Lee Chisholm

Lee Chisholm Member

https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/446/introduction-to-networking-in-gamemaker-studio-2

[​IMG]

"This tech blog is a revision of the Introduction To Networking blog post, only updated for use with GameMaker Studio 2. In this blog we're going to give a brief overview of what networking is and how it can be achieved in GameMaker Studio 2. It is worth noting that to accompany this tech blog you can get a simple LAN Platformer Demo from the YoYo Games Markletplace. This demo shows the concepts that we'll discuss being used in a real game for you to study and learn from."

Andy, RujiK, kupo15 and 2 others like this.
  2. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

Hit publish on the article, I'm getting a redirect back to the index.

3. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

It was working as I had a quick look earlier, but yeah they've broke it since then.

4. GMMG

GMMG Member

5. Mike

Mike nobody important GMC Elder

*fixed*

kupo15 likes this.
  6. True Valhalla

True Valhalla Full-Time Developer GMC Elder

Great post. I wish GMS networking wasn't so LAN-centric, though.

There are so many additional challenges to solve, such as hosting a GMS server, when you want to experiment beyond LAN support. Of course, you shouldn't be using a GMS server for a serious commercial product, but it's a huge jump for networking beginners to write/host their own server in another language & interface with a GMS client.

Being able to quickly setup an environment where 10-20 players can connect to a live server would be amazing, and you just can't do that with GMS easily. Anything beyond LAN is reserved for the top 0.01% of users even working at a small scale.

BMatjasic and JeffJ like this.
  7. BMatjasic

BMatjasic Member

It would be wonderful if GameMaker could support multi-threading or perhaps to run in a console without using graphics. That could be way easier for people to implement multiplayer in their games because writing a server in other programming languages can really be a struggle for a lot of Gamemaker users.

JeffJ likes this.
  8. JeffJ

JeffJ Member

I suggested headless mode way back when GMS2 was still on the drawing board. It got declined back then, and I don't see it ever really happening. It just isn't a priority. But I hope to be proven wrong, as it would take a huge step towards actually making GM a viable tool to write your own server in.

BMatjasic likes this.
  9. BMatjasic

BMatjasic Member

Exactly! We need this function!

10. The-any-Key

The-any-Key Member