• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Tearing with GTX

D

daprato

I'm new with GM, starting to have fun doing 2d platformer.

I'm doing prototypes at my home with a Radeon (don't remember, but mid-quality).
And all 2d gamemaker games are running good, my prototypes are running good, 60 fps perfect.

But with the PC at work, I noticed A LOT of Tearing. Here we have beast machines, thinkStation, with GTX 970 drivers updated. I've tested on many PC, also on some that have GTX 650. Every PC with the GTX I've tested render a lot of Tearing.

Without success:
- I tried to play with the GTX VSync options.
- tried On of Off for "use syncrhonization to avoid tearing" from Game Settings.

Monitors can handle 60fps. My room view is 300x200, upscaled or not.

I tried removing a lot of elements, or comment a lot of code chunks, but Tearing still there. Profiler tells me that I'm in between 11% to 22% of steps used, depending on some "place_meeting" that I'm disabling.

I also tried the "official demo" Tile_Based_Platformer1.gmx, and it Tearing too.

Any ideas guys ?
I don't want to work and share a funny game where a lot of Nvidia GTX owner will experience solid Tearing.

JackTurbo

Is this on the whole room/screen or on specific sprites? If its on specific sprites what is their image speed set to?

D

daprato

Is this on the whole room/screen or on specific sprites? If its on specific sprites what is their image speed set to?
Room speed is at 60
walk sprite speed is at 0.5
Anyway, without moving, if I placed the camera far from the player, so than when you start the room the camera travel to the player to center him, there's Tearing. Weirdess thing, is, that I have Tearing with the official platformer demo.

D

daprato

Tried a "own scripted" camera, or the option from the room/views to center the player. Both there's Tearing.

oups, forgot to answer: Tearing appear on all, at same time.