• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Idea Tcg, ccg, theory

D

dabeesknees

Hello Community,
I have been using Game Maker for about 5 years now and designing games for longer than that. A group of friends and I recently put together an idea for a multiplayer trading card game that we want to make digital. My question would be, are Game Maker Studio's multiplayer capabilities able to support a card game system similar to Hearthstone or Dualyst? Or would it be best to use something different? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Genetix

Definitely capable - of course those games are running a ton of dedicated servers in order to handle the load put on them. It will be a lot of work, but I think GMS could definitely accomplish what your looking at.

D

dabeesknees

Thanks alot, i haven't really dabbled into online multiplayer using game maker before, so i wanted to get some insight on whether or not it was possible/viable before laying down a framework within game maker.

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
GMS is fully capable of supporting a multiplayer game of any kind, and since a card game does not suffer from latency, it would not be very hard to make. However, if you're going to have dedicated servers for the game, software for the server would be better off written in Python, C++ or Java.

Genetix

I'd try to build just a simple TCG (offline) first hand to get a really good feel for how it works and what would be needed when adding networking... Give it a year and then start with a new TCG project built from the ground up with network support. I am half joking, but half serious ;)

You are taking on one hell of a challenge, I've made it pretty far with a similar dream but it can be a rocky fight.

Good luck, and if you start to get it going let us know!

D

dabeesknees

Sounds good too me. I am just happy to hear that there is an avanue open to be able to do something like this through GMS, without it breaking.

D

dabeesknees

I'd try to build just a simple TCG (offline) first hand to get a really good feel for how it works and what would be needed when adding networking... Give it a year and then start with a new TCG project built from the ground up with network support. I am half joking, but half serious ;)

You are taking on one hell of a challenge, I've made it pretty far with a similar dream but it can be a rocky fight.

Good luck, and if you start to get it going let us know!
Thanks for the support! We already know the themes and mechanics and most of how the game plays out really. We need to design a bunch more cards, do a ton of balancing and you know... code the entire thing... but im ready for challenge. Should be fun!

D

dabeesknees

C

ConsolCWBY

FSM: Finite State Machine. Sorry. I sometimes take acronyms for granted, tbh.

M

Misty

Definitely capable - of course those games are running a ton of dedicated servers in order to handle the load put on them. It will be a lot of work, but I think GMS could definitely accomplish what your looking at.
It's one on one TCP...Not much load

Most of the load is because there are millions of players online...
A Gm' online game you are lucky to get 2...

Genetix

Definitely get the load from lots of players - but it's not fair to say that a GM game will only get 2 players.... There are a number of games made with GM that are played by a huge audience. I've got over 5 million downloads on Google Play and my Steam games has over a thousand players - Not to say that I have had tremendous success, but whose to say that someone doesn't build the next awesome TCG in GM that ends up pulling thousands or more players - it is possible!

M

Misty

You should have player hosts...no load on the servers. A 1 on 1 TCP game doesn't need in-game servers (only the stats uploaded to sql website)

Roa

You should have player hosts...no load on the servers. A 1 on 1 TCP game doesn't need in-game servers (only the stats uploaded to sql website)
It's one on one TCP...Not much load

Most of the load is because there are millions of players online...
A Gm' online game you are lucky to get 2...

Nah man, you would have to have servers to build matches and to prevent cheating. It's a tradeing and battle game which means you need more interaction than 1 on 1, and even if you did, you would then have to deal with hosting games, and most players dont want to deal with that for a game that they dont get to control game varaibles in, like private matches in a shooter. You probably need a couple of servers. Authentication, matchmaking, and hosting servers which make sure game data isnt tampered with.

M

Misty

All you need is a SQL database to have a host list.

And you make sure your gm files aren't editable so they can't tamper with the multiplayer code.

S

swiggyswag

Don't forget if you're allowing people to host and not a server people may have the ability to memory hack the game.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
@FrostyCat once shared some of their experiences with collectible (I think single-player) card games on the old forums, and if I remember correctly, the biggest change is implementing rules. Like, every single effect a card can do should be decided upon in advance, because it might get really hard to code them in after all systems are finished. Physical CCGs don't suffer from that since the rules are interpreted by humans, but if you realize you need to add in completely new variables to track some effects or something even more complicated, it might force you to rewrite both client and server code in several places. Try to build everything in such an extensible way as possible so you can add new effects with small means (assuming you're going to extend the game over time).

M

Morne

Hi,
for example, I've managed to make this single player CCG or card combat prototype part time in GMS1.x
Btw not planning to make any money from it, just always wanted to make my own card game or engine.
https://gamelancer.itch.io/new-world-order

But yeah, even though local TCP networking is not too complicated, I have not yet managed to get the server for online multiplayer working.
Even a JAVA server which I paid someone to program, is just lying around incomplete. We originally wanted a server for an RTS engine for the marketplace,
but the developer of the server took too long. I mention this since we chose Java due to its availability and cross-platform nature and because it is a well known language.