1. Hey! Guest! The XXX GMC Jam will take place between August 24th, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and August 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Alpha TAWBS: a little challenging top-down shooter

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by DT Mark, Jul 4, 2017.

1. DT Mark

DT Mark Member

Hello everyone!

It's been a year (well technically, 6 months) I started using Game Maker: Studio -in my spare time- and today I'd like to show you what I've been working on!

TAWBS is a little minimalistic top-down shooter in which you start up training for war but end up exploring a peculiar facility. In order to traverse the levels, skill, strategy and determination will be needed.

More info and updates below or on https://tawbs.wordpress.com

While I'm still working on finishing all the remaining mechanics (before moving on to art and level design), there's a guy who made a sort of "playthrough" / "showcase" video about TAWBS, and I figured it might be interesting to share here as it shows more gameplay. Plus it's quite entertaining.

It turns out I have even less time to work on the game this year, but I have still managed to make some progress!
    - Most of the remaining mechanics and gimmicks have been coded and are functional with everything else
    - Progress has been made in terms of level building
    - Translations have been done! The Omicron team has translated my game in French (entirely), German (almost entirely) and Spanish (not entirely)
    - My pause/settings menu was too much of a mess and needed to be recoded in order for me to be able to easily add in the language settings
    - While redoing it, I have added mouse control support
    - And obviously, many bugs have been fixed. Many thanks to all the play-testers!

Here are some GIFs and Screenshots (the visuals of the new mechanics are placeholders):
    https://imgur.com/a/zett3

I am now going to focus on building more of the levels, and code the last gimmicks left. After that, I'll start working on the visual polish of those mechanics.

P.S: I know the pause menu doesn't look that great. Should I redesign it completely or try enhancing it?

I started writing more elaborate devlogs over on another blog, so...

[UPDATE: June 2018]
    https://tawbs.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/devlog-june-2018/

[UPDATE: July 2018]

https://tawbs.wordpress.com/2018/07/27/devlog-july-2018/

Lots of new stuff I haven't showed off here ^

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Felipe Rybakovas likes this.
  2. EqualiteGem

EqualiteGem Member

The trailer art is the best part of the trailer, it has great aesthetics and consistency. I think the gameplay could use at least one of these though.

1. Upgrades or new weapons to unlock. I saw a tank which looks awesome along with the giant turret gun. And there was one basic attack from what I saw and a laser attack (which was cool) . I think there should be more weapons or means of attacks besides those.

2. The Ai looks okay, I mean not too many variants in the ways of attacks or behavior besides the moving arrow enemies, nothing too difficult or complex. I think the game needs bosses of some sort or a catchy gimmick. Even if there was at least 4 cool looking bosses and maybe a little side story would be cool.

Overall the trailer looks like it got a lot of potential man and great job for six months.

3. MunchytheFox

MunchytheFox Member

Oh wow, great trailer man! Looking forward to when it comes out :p

4. DT Mark

DT Mark Member

Thanks for the feedback!

You always have 2 basic weapons (gun and bomb) between which you can switch with the mouse wheel. In order to deal with enemies you have to use them accordingly/in a specific order depending on the color of the enemy (the enemies are the square guys, not the other objects). Furthermore, the gameplay is all about constantly switching between your weapons / using them in the right order, and about managing your ammo which is very limited - your shots must be nearly perfect.

I designed my game around the player itself: you almost never change / gain abilities (except for the laser, but that's more of a way of interacting with the mechanics), however, there's constantly new gimmicks introduced (almost one every level).

With all of that in mind, the levels are actually quite puzzle-ish in a certain way: you see how the new mechanic works/how it interacts with the older mechanics, and you try to adapt your strategy according to that.

So if I did introduce new weapons, I'd have to do it in substitution of the current ones (scrolling through more than 2 weapons is nerve wracking), which either implies that:
    A) I introduce the new weapons and the player keeps them until he gets other weapons
    B) I introduce the new weapons as a special level gimmick

To be honest, I'm not a fan of neither of those options, I like having the player do the same thing throughout the game with only the environment changing. But on the other hand, I do have other weapon ideas that I want to put in the game.

Therefore, what I'm doing is occasionally introducing 'vehicles' which act as a level gimmick, and these vehicles have different weapons/attacks (similar to the player's, but not quite, as you saw with the tank/turret).

As for the bosses, yes. The game absolutely needs them. I just want to come up with good boss designs rather than just throwing rubbish bossfights for the sake of having bossfights.

[TLDR: I'm not inclined to adding new weapons, or at least I don't really know how to do it well, and I'd love to make good bosses]

Thanks! It will probably take a while though :p

EqualiteGem likes this.
  5. EqualiteGem

EqualiteGem Member

Vehicles work too, or environmental weapons or traps. Something to make the player wonder what's going to happen next level. A reward of some sort. But I like what I'm seeing so far!

6. DT Mark

DT Mark Member

While I'm still working on finishing all the remaining mechanics (before moving on to art and level design), there's a guy who made a sort of "playthrough" / "showcase" video about TAWBS, and I figured it might be interesting to share here as it shows more gameplay. Plus it's quite entertaining.

7. WarpDogsVG

WarpDogsVG Member

Agreed with everyone - that's a really great trailer

8. DT Mark

DT Mark Member

[UPDATE: November 2017]

It turns out I have even less time to work on the game this year, but I have still managed to make some progress!
    - Most of the remaining mechanics and gimmicks have been coded and are functional with everything else
    - Progress has been made in terms of level building
    - Translations have been done! The Omicron team has translated my game in French (entirely), German (almost entirely) and Spanish (not entirely)
    - My pause/settings menu was too much of a mess and needed to be recoded in order for me to be able to easily add in the language settings
    - While redoing it, I have added mouse control support
    - And obviously, many bugs have been fixed. Many thanks to all the play-testers!

Here are some GIFs and Screenshots (the visuals of the new mechanics are placeholders):
    https://imgur.com/a/zett3

I am now going to focus on building more of the levels, and code the last gimmicks left. After that, I'll start working on the visual polish of those mechanics.

P.S: I know the pause menu doesn't look that great. Should I redesign it completely or try enhancing it?

9. DyingSilence

DyingSilence Member

This looks like a mix of "n" and "Hotline Miami" so far and i love it. I'm rarely hyped for a Work In Progress, but this trailer gets the job done.

DT Mark likes this.
  10. DT Mark

DT Mark Member

11. Niels

Niels Member

Looks impressive (especially for a first game)!
    Loved the trailer and the graphics! This would be something I would play

12. Toque

Toque Member

Feels like a bezerk puzzler.
    Well done.