• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design TAURONOS - anyone knows any good maze layouts ?

ramos

Hey

Im working on a game wich involves a labirynth / maze , any of you got any sugestions for map arhitecture (design wise) ?
note that ther are upgrade shrines, traps, secret areas and a minotaur ennemi who chase you and you cannot beat him and the longer you stay the faster and more agresive he gets so player must have escape routes

gmx0

Ever try to do procedural maze generation?

Not even digitally, but on paper?

Start with a line that zig zags, then build a maze around it, is one way. And then build a room like that.

There are so many versions of mazes that there aren't simple way to show a maze except maybe copying from another maze or generating your own.

J

Jacob T Wharton

The simplest way I found is the "drunken walk." This works best for cave-like areas that are "natural" looking.

The implementation is super easy:

Start at the player's spawn point (staircase up or whatever). This is a point on the grid, somewhere in the middle preferably. Add this starting tile to a grid of "walkable" terrain.

Repeat as many times as you want (larger numbers means larger rooms):

Step randomly to an adjacent tile by adding a random value of -1, 0, or 1 to both the x and y values.

Now add this tile to the list of "walkable" terrain.

All the tiles marked as "walkable" on the grid are ground terrain, and all other tiles on the grid are considered impassible walls. So when you initialize the grid you would default each tile to be a wall.

The effect is really cool: you get a seamlessly connected "cave" structure with no isolated rooms, and lots of variety of types of areas, from long twisty corridors to vast rooms separated by walls of various sizes. You can also bias the algorithm to choose the same direction it did last time, to make longer hallways.

You can read more about this very simple procedural generation algorithm here:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Random_Walk_Cave_Generation

NightFrost

If you just need to fill out a room with a maze there are various algorithms you can use. For more dungeon-y layouts there's different kinds of generators too, but abovementioned drunkard walk is a good starting point for experimentation.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If the player is to be chased, you need to have lots of interconnectivity... first of all, you need to not be able to have unwinnable situations, secondly, you don't want the monster to be forced to run right behind you all the time (that makes it trivially easy to get away from it if you just can outrun it) - it's more creepy if it can pick an alternate way to surprise you if you get too far ahead.

One idea could be to make a bunch of looping corridors that just don't intersect each other, then have linear rooms and "spokes" corridors that connect them to each other. And of course dead-end rooms and stuff to fill up space. And sometimes you could place a room ON a corridor to make it a bit more varied - could range from small alcoves to courtyards with decorations and statues and stuff.

ramos

THank you ! We made more maps now based on CC and game is almost finishd.

We are now waiting for some final publishing offers for TAURONOS , if nothing serios comes up we will start a greenlight for it ourselfs next week.
If you guys want to support us you can drop us a subscribe on : www.16bitnights.com to get a notification when greenlight starts ( be careful first confirmation email goes into spam folder)
Or if anyone have a good publishing deal for us or knows someone who hase then you can drop me a PM .

We put alot of passion and hard work into this project we hope you guys will enjoy !

YanBG

That's great man! I like that your work on the marketing campaign is fruitful.

I tried the demo and i love the menu/options style and implementation hehe.

The game premise is also very interesting and i hope it will be successful on Steam!