Tank Wars

Here's a link to the latest version of my project called Tank Wars. Basically a remake of the DOS classic Scorched Earth. Need some assistance if anyone has the time. Now using the Nailbuster GUI. The game runs in fullscreen 1024x768. Has been ported to Game Maker Studio 2.

EXE:
http://gamejolt.com/games/tank-wars/34942

Controls:
Left and Right arrow keys for adjusting angle
Holding Left Shift while pressing Left and Right arrow moves angle slower
Up and Down arrow keys for adjusting power
Holding Left Shift while pressing Up and Down arrow moves power slower
Press Tab to switch Weapons forwards
Press Shift+Tab to switch weapons backwards
< and > keys for moving if you have fuel
F1 brings up in-game menu
'C' to spawn a chopper
'S' to spawn a sailboat
'W' to change weather to clear
Middle mouse button click on a tank will switch from human to AI and vice-versa

Last edited:
Just updated to fix the surface missing lines issue. Still lots of things to work on to get it 100% in GM:S like bouncing tanks/trees sometimes on certain slopes, some other things. Porting to GM:S has been a lot trickier than I had hoped. If anyone feels like helping, it would be most appreciated.

Sabnock

Great game and just spent a good while playing it. i've always loved this kind of game so win for me.

Couple of comments

AI can be quite aggressive. maybe an option to choose how thick the ai is ?

there are some obvious bugs to fix like at one point my tank vanished and the landscape destruction needs some work. also the menu text is out of kilter to the options

I also received the following error.

of Create Event
for object SM:

DoSub :1: undefined value
at gml_Script_terra_redraw
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_terra_redraw (line 0)
gml_Script_terra_dig_circle_fall
gml_Object_SM_Create_0

looking forward to playing the completed game.

Andy

Yes, there are still several bugs to iron out before I start adding new things. Porting it from GM8.1 to Studio has been a real PITA. AI difficulty is definitely on the list of things to add, it's basically just a placeholder for now. Thought I had the vanishing tank bug fixed, but i guess not. The menu text issue, do you have a screenshot of it? I don't have that issue. Thanks for playing and replying. What about the landscape destruction do you mean? If you mean the lines, the latest version I uploaded should fix that.

Last edited:
Just uploaded an updated version, lines in the terrain are fixed, removed the "Tank Color" label on the player creation screen because 'duh', fixed the Aurora Borealis not appearing on the Tundra landscape, added click sound to the terrain selection button on the options screen, hopefully fixed the disappearing tank bug, link in first post. Also updated the game site on Game Jolt:

http://gamejolt.com/games/tank-wars/34942

Asking for some assistance with this error:

of Create Event
for object SM:

DoSub :1: undefined value
at gml_Script_terra_redraw (line 28) - draw_line_width(i,surface_get_height(global._gridSur),i,surface_get_height(global._gridSur)-size,2)//Fixes lines in terrain
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_terra_redraw (line 28)
called from - gml_Script_terra_dig_circle_fall (line 92) - terra_redraw(_x-_r,_x+_r);
called from - gml_Object_SM_CreateEvent_1 (line 2) - terra_dig_circle_fall(x,y,13);

I know it has to do with the -size, but as I didn't write the terrain engine itself (modified for hills) I have no idea how to fix it. Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.

OK,

I believe I have the error above sorted out, basically I made the playfield 600 pixels wider, made a viewport that starts at an x of 300 and ends at x of 1324, so far so good. I was able to watch a 20 round AI only match with no errors for once. Updated the downloads, same links.

Last edited:
I have moved this project over to Game Maker Studio 2 and am in the middle of fixing the compatibility issues now, almost done with that.

Well, the latest beta release of GMS2 has created the broken lines issue in the terrain again, haven't found a fix yet...

With some more testing with the older version it seems the GFX drivers are to blame and NOT GMS after all. Going to have to come up with some fix....

EDIT: 01/30/2017:

Using a script called draw_line_width_poly by JuJu has resolved the lines issue as does the internal draw_line_width, chose the script though, working well.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what order GMS:2 does thing in? Like Creation, Draw, Step, etc? Since updating to 2.something, my GUI, sprites, etc are drawn with a delay. It shows the terrain OK, then the trees, tanks, etc will pop-in.

EDIT:

I was able to find the info in the help file, I was just using the wrong search term :(

Last edited: