• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Tanaria - The Spirit Stone (Demo)

Repix

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/w1kl1f55wwut12g/Tanaria - The Spirit Stone Demo.exe?dl=0
https://repix.itch.io/tanaria-the-spirit-stone
File Size: 2.21MB
File: Single runtime exe
Genre: Action Adventure with RPG elements.

WASD: Move
LMB: Attack
RMB: Bow Attack
Space: Interact

Later you will be able to pick up items that will improve your overall stats and add magic powers.
There will be at least 5 kinds of enemies. (These are what is planned anyways, I'll add more later.)
There will be at least 1 boss battle. (Maybe more)
Different areas to visit. (Snow areas and the enemy home lands.)
Various debuffs that the enemies can inflict on you and vice versa.

Last edited:

Repix

I updated the link with the improved version.

Some new sound effects, a menu and two extra rooms.
Also some more tutorials and coins have been added, some new enemies (which are not in the demo)

Repix

Updated once more!

Difficulties, Better Menu, Tutorials, Coins, Shop testing, Enemies hits harder now, Chests, Keys. (Close to being finished with the engine itself.)

F

FROGANUS

Yo I checked it out. Seems pretty basic for now, I like the style but sorry, realtalk- for "Close to being finished with the engine itself" some of the movement and especially combat seems a little... lackluster? at this point? (of course depending on overall style you're pursuing - don't want to assume too much).

some suggestions-

-diagonal movement is faster than horizontal/vertical. (here are some nerds discussing this common top-down game occurance: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemaker/...ng_for_some_help_regarding_diagonal_movement/)

-i'd implement knockback so enemies bounce back a little when player hits them, & player knocks back when taking damage.

-enemy animation would help a lot to indicate when they are attacking. Also enemy AI is super predictable. Could you have them like change directions or do something random movement-wise?

-another asset I would prioritize is making a basic 'full forest' tileset so you can close off areas that are not walkable. Tho I get it- the signs are functional in showing you where you can walk, but it still seems unfinished when theres a grassy edge of the world. The map composition is also just looking generally sparse with that one single tree shape.

-one other related thing- when you walk off the screen to the next it always places you in the center- I think there's a way to make it so you stay the same place you walked off the last room to pop up the right place in the next room.

Keep it up- I'd like to see the items implemented, like to try the bow if it would work for me ;)

Cheers!

Repix

Yea the diagonal movement has been fixed in the current version I'm working on! :) (I just used the basic x and y movement)

I can definitely replace the stun effect with knockback.

You're right on the animations, I'll make sure to figure something out with that.

I'll be sure to close off areas too, that is definitely a priority as well.

And the enemy in the game is the charging type. There are Archers, Scouts and Mages too. Which will force you to move around a lot more.

The Bow I accidentally removed from the Demo. Sorry :p

Also you mentioned the position you would start in depending on the previous level.. I'll add that right away, that just requires me to change some code around.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated :)

Did the tutorials help you in any way btw?