• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Alpha Tako Bubble [Android|iOS]

M

MatthewRockVGM

This looks really interesting, how does the gameplay work exactly?
Love the art style too!

chirpy

This looks really interesting, how does the gameplay work exactly?
Love the art style too!
Thanks for the kind words! :D

Control-wise it's basically a turn-based rogue-like, only mixed with a little bit of platformer-style movement logic. The levels are predetermined with 3 colored bubbles that must be collected to get past, very little random elements so they're easy to test and tweak; enemies and traps follow their own patterns so they'll need to be handled or avoided in different ways.

Oh no I totally need to practice my elevator pitch while still so much work to do. #StoryOfIndiesLife

Last edited:

chirpy

Hi everyone; I'm happy to say we're pretty much ready to release our first game.
It's scheduled for January 11, 2018. ;)

Here's our press kit for whoever's interested. While I'm preparing my post to Touch Arcade,
if there's any other forum / site you'd recommend sending an email to, please do kindly let me know.

Although unlikely, if anyone happens to be around Taipei, Taiwan on Dec 16, 2017:
We'll be giving out printed physical magnetic badges at National Taiwan University, for gamer.com.tw's 21st anniversary event.
Entrance is free, so do drop by if you're here! :p

I like the look of this. The atmosphere reminds me of Super Monkey Ball somehow, even though the art and gameplay are completely different, haha. Just has that chill, relaxing look. =)

kupo15

Looks pretty neat and interesting! :) The only thing I have to say about it is I think there is an overuse of the screen shake effect. Makes me dizzy and detracts from the cool aesthetic :confused:

chirpy

Thanks for the kind words! It means a lot to us two, preparing to send emails to the wild wild press.

@kupo15
Screen shake: Whoops, I hope it's only that I wanted the gifs to be more dynamic that I went too far!

S

signal

Woops, didn't see you had a topic about this before posting on your profile.

Overall I think it's a really cool concept, and I actually plan on playing through the rest of the game. The music, effects and overall presentation make it really enjoyable.

This is my critique if I had to write any after playing for a few minutes:

I'm wondering if showing the white arrow every swipe is necessary? The red arrow is understandable, but the constant white arrow popup might actually be distracting from the gameplay. Just a theory.

Swipe detection seems to be really sensitive. Maybe adding a buffer zone of a few pixels from the touch point before registering a swipe? I have a pretty large screensize so it's not really a problem for me, but on smaller screens, you might get some unintended swipes.

Finally, I have to ask.. why beetles?