• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics Taking ideas for a RPG KIT

R

Rukiri

I'm currently taking ideas for what a RPG KIT should be, as in what should the base RPG be, multiple battle systems, etc.

Here is what essentially will be done, the base RPG (minus the battle system) is modeled after RPG Maker MV "it works so...I'm going to base my base around that"

For the battle systems I'm looking at doing 3 types.
- Sideview (final fantasy)
- Real-time (Zelda/Seiken Densetsu)
- Tactical (Think Final Fantasy tactics)

If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment :)

- Rukiri

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I would say "it's better to do one thing well than three things poorly", can't really access your skills well enough to tell whether this is a reasonable project or not :p

• Sideview is the easiest to code.
    • Ripping of RPGM should be the course of action here. See what they do well and what they do poorly and learn from their mistakes.
  • Realtime has a higher demand on animations and such so you might need to work a lot making decent example assets for that.
    • Add in dodgerolls and a stamina bar so you can go XOMG IT CAN BE USED TO MAKE SOULSLIKES
    • Multidirectional assets could be reused for Tactics gameplay if you design them well
    • Look into CrossCode for an example of a modern game that does this well and see if you could steal some cool ideas
  • The main tough cookie with tactics combat is the AI, make sure you have plans for that.

R

Rukiri

I would say "it's better to do one thing well than three things poorly", can't really access your skills well enough to tell whether this is a reasonable project or not :p

• Sideview is the easiest to code.
    • Ripping of RPGM should be the course of action here. See what they do well and what they do poorly and learn from their mistakes.
  • Realtime has a higher demand on animations and such so you might need to work a lot making decent example assets for that.
    • Add in dodgerolls and a stamina bar so you can go XOMG IT CAN BE USED TO MAKE SOULSLIKES
    • Multidirectional assets could be reused for Tactics gameplay if you design them well
    • Look into CrossCode for an example of a modern game that does this well and see if you could steal some cool ideas
  • The main tough cookie with tactics combat is the AI, make sure you have plans for that.
Each type is actually it's own project and only shares the RPG bit "character database, inventory, dialogue system, etc"
also, most a-rpgs I play use 4-directional sprites, I rarely see multi directional (8-dir) sprites.

R

Rukiri

Here's an update for the kit.
- Finite State machines started
- Grid Movement completed - Pixel movement Completed
- Working on collision detection, grid based collision done but going to add triangle based collision "think Zelda Link to the Past where you can smoothly walk against the mountains and angled edges" *Not using my collision system that I posted on reddit a few months ago, while it was pretty much perfect had a few bugs and uses more code than needed

Once the kit is done I will more likely work on a few assets but probably use snes era color pallet as why not :)
right now mainly just uses RPG Maker assets to speed up the process.