• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Tabletop Game possible?

C

Chim

Hello there,

Did anyone build a Tabletop Game with dice and round based game play?

I didn't see anything like that in the marketplace or in this forum.

Thx in advance :)

M

Me Myself and I

Most roguelike games using round-based gameplay...they would probably be a good starting point.

As for the dice, checkout opengameart -- they have quite a few dice.

L

lukeis2k20

i looked at monopoly when i was starting with GM and yes it is all very possible to do

Z

zircher

Just to throw it out there, you could always do your dice rolling like a slot machine. Handy if you have a finite space available for 'rolling' them or you have funky die faces that might change as the game is played.

L

lukeis2k20

the problem with the rolling of the dice is the random. you have to set the seed (random_set_seed) with a different value every time your game starts as if not the dice roll the EXACT same numbers in the same order EVERY time you play.

Z

zircher

the problem with the rolling of the dice is the random. you have to set the seed (random_set_seed) with a different value every time your game starts as if not the dice roll the EXACT same numbers in the same order EVERY time you play.
I always look at that as a feature. It's easy enough to re-seed it, but by having a known seed, it can help you in debugging or if you want to present the same procedural world to multiple players.

A

Aura

Welcome to the GMC~♫

Games of pretty much every genre have been made using GameMaker. The reason you couldn't find one on the Marketplace is that the Marketplace is not meant for games. And these forums are quite new and have been there for a couple of months only.

If you have enough time, you can go about searching for one here:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showforum=116

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showforum=148

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showforum=117

Creating a tabletop game requires artwork of specific perspective, there are no GMS-side limitations on the genre of games that you can create. You can do pretty much everything if you have the potential.

R

Rusty

You can just use the "randomize()" function.

Code:
var a=0;
dice_number=2;
dice_total=0;
randomize();
repeat(dice_number)
{    dice_roll[0]=choose(1,2,3,4,5,6);
     dice_total+=dice_roll[a];
     a+=1;}
There we go, I programmed a pair of dice. You can roll 15 or 50 just by changing the dice_number variable. I don't know of any tabletop games made with Game Maker myself but they are incredible easy to make. The only complicated part is trying to implement extensive rule systems. Snakes and Ladders for example is incredibly easy, while Risk can be a son of b*tch.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
And there's a built-in function randomize() that sets the random seed differently every time (using the system clock, I think, which is the number of CPU cycles since you powered on the computer).

But yeah, this is definitely possible. GM is more geared towards action games, but it shouldn't be impossible to make a board game. You might want to learn about how to do state machines in GM, because if you can make a control object that's a state machine, making the game flow properly will get a lot easier. Monopoly probably is one of the easiest board game concepts since movement is automatic, but handling things like ownership of streets and upgrading them adds a lot more complexity, both functionality-wise (although not too hard... each street needs a ownership status variable and an upgrade level, plus a table with rent for each upgrade level and a purchase cost) and to the GUI layout and player-turn-taking-system.

C

Chim

WOW!
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

The Idea of the Game is more a Adventure than a Simulation.
Inspired from the Arkam Horror Game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror

Yes i know it's not that simple, but at the start i want to build a solid light version, and learn more about GM.

Small Roadmap:
- Map with variable places, movement limited to the eyes from the dice.
- One Main Char. 5 different enemys
- Enemys walks random on map, also with the dice mechanic
- runable on PC and Android

The Chars should be with pixel graphics, i think it's better for viewing on mobile device. What's your thought?

Most roguelike games using round-based gameplay...they would probably be a good starting point.

As for the dice, checkout opengameart -- they have quite a few dice.
Is there any Game with Source Code to look at the roundbased gameplay out there?
And thx for OpenGameArt this should help me before i do the Art by myself.

i looked at monopoly when i was starting with GM and yes it is all very possible to do
Thx for the help in PM!

Welcome to the GMC~♫

Games of pretty much every genre have been made using GameMaker. The reason you couldn't find one on the Marketplace is that the Marketplace is not meant for games. And these forums are quite new and have been there for a couple of months only.

If you have enough time, you can go about searching for one here:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showforum=116

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showforum=148

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showforum=117

Creating a tabletop game requires artwork of specific perspective, there are no GMS-side limitations on the genre of games that you can create. You can do pretty much everything if you have the potential.
NICE! i take a deeper look at the links now :)

You can just use the "randomize()" function.

Code:
var a=0;
dice_number=2;
dice_total=0;
randomize();
repeat(dice_number)
{    dice_roll[0]=choose(1,2,3,4,5,6);
     dice_total+=dice_roll[a];
     a+=1;}
There we go, I programmed a pair of dice. You can roll 15 or 50 just by changing the dice_number variable. I don't know of any tabletop games made with Game Maker myself but they are incredible easy to make. The only complicated part is trying to implement extensive rule systems. Snakes and Ladders for example is incredibly easy, while Risk can be a son of b*tch.
I personaly do programming for myself in: Delphi, PHP, Javascript, so i should get a good entry in GML - is there any good wiki or something similar out there?

at least thank you, your answers are very appreciated.

R

Rusty

There is the Game Maker manual (press F1 in studio or go to Help > Open Manual) which should explain most of the features. If you're an experienced programmer then you shouldn't have much trouble figuring out how to get them working beyond that. There is also an online version. Other than that you're always welcome to ask us about any problems you might have that can't be resolved from the manual here on the GMC.

L

lukeis2k20

the "randomize()" function just creates a random based on the current seed number. it is NOT a true random.

AND even if it was the processing / battery power of creating a random EVERY SINGLE TIME you want one is not a logical option. keep your code streamlined and it will run smoother. it sounds strange to say but if you do it at every stage in your dev you will get a far better overall result.

the most efficient option for a TRUE RANDOM is to use the time as a starting point. WHY? because every time you open your game the datetime is different (as long as you include minutes in the code below)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//random settings (FIRST ROOM ONLY AND ONLY ONCE PER GAME LOAD)

//GETS YEAR from device clock
now_year = date_get_year(date_current_datetime());

//GETS MONTH from device clock
now_month = date_get_month(date_current_datetime());

//GETS DAY (DATE AS A NUMBER) from device clock
now_day = date_get_day(date_current_datetime());

//GETS HOUR from device clock
now_hour = date_get_hour(date_current_datetime());

//GETS MINUITE from device clock
now_minute = date_get_minute(date_current_datetime());

//CREATE SOMETHING A BIT RANDOM FROM IT
//but keeping it nice and simple (below is just an example)
base_number = (now_year + now_month + now_day + now_hour + now_minute)

//CHANGE VAL TO DATE AND TIME FORMULA RESULTS
random_set_seed(base_number);
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

M

Me Myself and I

The M

the "randomize()" function just creates a random based on the current seed number. it is NOT a true random.
Not really. It sets the seed to a random value. You call it once at the start of the game and every time you use random(n) or any other random function you'll get a new value. No need to do any calculations yourself.

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
Arkham horror is one my top best game ever! \m/

This is a board/dice based game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181370/mint-tin-mini-apocalypse
that I ported on a HTML5 game: http://www.naztail.com/game_mtmapo.html
So "Did anyone build a Tabletop Game with dice and round based game play?"
Yes.;)

Porting AH will be hundreds of hours of work. A solid database to store all item/monster/encounter card, etc...
You should start by creating a turn order system where the player can choose only to pass or move.
And a 'Board turn' where monsters can simply randomly move.
Then add more options. (Like use item, cast spell etc...)

C

Chim

Arkham horror is one my top best game ever! \m/

This is a board/dice based game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181370/mint-tin-mini-apocalypse
that I ported on a HTML5 game: http://www.naztail.com/game_mtmapo.html
So "Did anyone build a Tabletop Game with dice and round based game play?"
Yes.;)

Porting AH will be hundreds of hours of work. A solid database to store all item/monster/encounter card, etc...
You should start by creating a turn order system where the player can choose only to pass or move.
And a 'Board turn' where monsters can simply randomly move.
Then add more options. (Like use item, cast spell etc...)
Nice work you did there, yes i love AH and i didn't see anything like that around here.
Yes i know, my Roadmap i mentioned above is still simplistic.
But first i'm at an Asteroid Game for practise :D

C

Chim

Hey there,
i have done some map artwork in my spare time:

I have to do a lot more.
Chars and Map Places like the Police Station, Library, Church...
Does anybody have a good link for some free stock pictures about buildings, i mentioned above?

Thx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chim

Hell, i must build more graphics then i thought for this game :x but i keep going in my spare time :)
"CHiM HORROR" is actually just a tech demo :D

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You might wanna think twice about the name, it's easy to read it as "chimp horror" and then it's suddenly not sounding scary :p