Tablet or phone thumbsticks and demo game

rIKmAN

I found an old demo game that i made many moons ago that has some nice thumbsticks for a tablet or phone
You can import the thumbsticks to your project and do what you want with the demo tiles and viewports, i am no longer developing this project

View attachment 38194
Those "thumbstick" sprites are recoloured spaceships from the YoYo Arena Shooter Demo for GMS2.
The description on the marketplace page says "Graphical assets may not be redistributed, or re-used in a free or commercial product.".

Just saying you might want be careful about redistributing them and implying people are free to do what they want with them.
Maybe switch them out with different sprites of your own so you can still share the code (the code from the same demo is fine to share).

Reactions: Tyg

Tyg

The publisher has been contacted, and the asset taken down until i get a reply from them
anyways sorry for anyone that could have used these :(

Last edited:

rIKmAN

The publisher has been contacted, and the asset taken down until i get a reply from them or i will redesign the bases
and as for recolor, old joysticks were colored red, pretty sure you can use colors freely(sigh)
i found an old tray, ill take a picture of it and use it for the base, kinda nostalgic, i dont consider it "fine art"
in that case the i drew the ball long before 2016, does that give me the right to claim it as mine?
Look to the top right, the mail icon....pretty sure google uses it
i googled the spaceship and there are some very simular images from years previous
there is a point of sillyness to it, but thank you for the advice
i will talk to the publisher, but i believe the intention was for learning purposes
as was my purpose, to share with the community for learning
anyways sorry for anyone that could have used these :(
As it's an official tutorial project the publisher is YYG and I assume there's a reason they say the "Source may be used freely." but prohibit the use of the games assets.
Maybe they themselves licenced the assets for single use and don't have the right to allow them to be shared/reused (just one example why this may could be the case).

I don't dispute that your intention was for learning but that would be from from the code/implementation of the thumbsticks and not the sprites, so just spend 2mins replacing them with a white circle and a red circle of different sizes and share it like you intended without any potential issues.

However when you put it up for download and tell people to "Import the thumbsticks and do what you want" when it contains assets that specifically state they aren't to be redistributed then it's not good form.

Of course you can use colours freely, but you can't recolour someone elses sprites and pretend they are your own or distribute them without permission.
It's not really "sillyness", more common sense and being aware of the licence(s) of any assets you use that aren't your own.

I just wanted to point it out to you as it seemed you weren't aware that redistributing the sprites was going against the licence under which the project was released.
Maybe YYG will say you can use them but it seems like a moot point as people aren't going to learn anything from the sprites.

Reactions: Tyg

Tyg

do what you want with the demo tiles and viewports
i guess i should have put a comma, that was the intention
anyways the dropbox is down, im going to redesign the bases for my own use
and not share them anymore
actually i don't think i will share anymore on forums
because i noticed someone i was helping had taken an asset and put it on the marketplace
i understand what your saying
Thank you for pointing that out :)

Last edited: