Legacy GM Tabbed Inventory

M

Master Maker

So, I am currently making a top-down RPG, and I was wondering how to create a tabbed inventory system. By this I am meaning an inventory room, in which there is the master inventory, with the hot-bar at the top of the screen, and then below the 'quick access' inventory, with tabs for potions (with a sub tab for healing, magic, and misc. potions), weapons (with sub tabs for swords, ranged, and area of effect damage weapons), armor (with sub tabs for head, foot, body, gloves, legs, and arms), keys, etc. The tabs would also be customizable by the player. Inside the tabs and sub tabs, the items would be sorted by a selected option, such as name, power, and stats.

2Dcube

That's a very broad question. There are many ways to make a tabbed inventory system.
Do you want to know how to make something like a button? It would be a good starting point for making tabs.

M

Master Maker

No, I would prefer a system that would more closely relate to the implementation of a tabbed inventory. Here's what I want, sort of...

Hotbar
Quick Tab Tab Tab Tab
Access One: Two: Three: Four:
Inventory Potions Weapons Armor Keys
Once each tab is pulled out, an animation plays of paper rolling, and then this pops up:
Quick Sub Tab Sub Tab Sub Tab Sub Tab
Access One: Two: Three: Four:
Inventory Healing Magic Damaging Misc.
Each Quick Access Inventory and Sub Tab looks like this:
(Parchment Textured)
(Box) Sort By: (Selector Arrow)
Grid (each has item has it's icon, and provides it's specific data when hovered over, and can be dragged to the Main QAI, the hot bar, or to the Tab's QAI.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Well, if you're looking for something like:

I might be able to help.
The top row in this inventory is my hotbar.

M

Master Maker

Well, if you're looking for something like:

I might be able to help.
The top row in this inventory is my hotbar.
Sort of... There are a couple of different things in my idea and yours. First of all, the tab indicators are on the side. Second of all, the art is medieval with gold trim, sort of like this:

On a parchment paper texture, if possible with the gold reflective with shaders. The Tabs are basically they're own inventory, with sub-tabs outlined in a similar, but different, gold trim.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Well, the general idea is the same though.
I can't make you art, but I could do a little tutorial on tabbed inventory if you'd like.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Okay, I've started working on it, but I'm pretty tired, it's kinda late here.
I'll finish it up and post it here for you tomorrow.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak

Just some proof that I am working on it.
I didn't have as much time as I thought today, and I'm trying to make it as clear as possible.

Well now, this doesn't really hand hold all of the way, and expects you to know at least basic GML.
Also, it isn't a complete example, it just gets the basic concept across, so you'll need to do some actual work to get it working for your game.
https://spellweavergames.com/downloads/TabbedInventory.zip
Her ye go
please reupload and update it to work with the newest version of GMS or please help me fix the tabbed inventory i was using as its broken now as it uses obsolete views code with the tabbs heres the link to what i used Tabbed Inventory by Stormingleech Productions | GameMaker: Marketplace (yoyogames.com) (its free)