• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE system permission blocking the drive substitution

T

Tito Matho

Hello,

I installed GMS2 lite few days ago, and can't run it. It fails to install the runtime. So I downloaded it manually, put it in the correct file but nothing changes, it keep crashing when I launch it.
I did contact yoyogames, here is the mail I received
Hello Tito,

Thanks for reporting this. I can see the crash message in your ui.log and can workout the IDE issue, so I have added this into our bug database here: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30081

I'll need more information before I can fully investigate it and suggest a fix for you, as I can see that your runtimes are failing to install because of a system permission blocking the drive substitution OR your hard drive is full. Assuming that you do actually have more than 3GB of space on the drive Windows is installed on (if you do not, you will need to free up space), can we ask that you open your command prompt and type the following:
subst Z: “C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.0.258”
Can you let me know if you are shown an error after entering this command or if a Z: drive is created, please.

You will be able to see this in your File Explorer. If the above does create a virtual drive, it can be removed again by opening the command prompt and typing the following:
subst Z: /D
If you are shown an error that your Windows user account is not allowed to use subst for any reason, then you will need to resolve this with whoever controls the permissions on that machine before you will be able to install GMS2 successfully.

Can you please:
  • Let me know the results for the above questions.
  • Attach your %programdata%\GameMakerStudio2\ui_crash.log file, if you have one.
  • Attach a DXDiag report. See this FAQ for instructions

Once you have provided this information I can hopefully suggest more (assuming you did not determine the issue and resolve it yourself, using the info I provided above).
I did all he said, when i try to create Z: I don't even have a error message, just nothing happens.
So someone has an idea how can I allow GameMaker to create a virtual drive?
thanks

Dog Slobber

The fact that an error did NOT happen suggests that you can use the subst command to create virtual drives and the problem lies elsewhere.

The emails says, if you can successfully create a drive, which you can, then the problem lies elsewhere such as not enough room on your hard drive.

T

Tito Matho

Hello thank you for your interest
I can't create a drive, it doesn't work, I can't see any Z in my file explorer...
and of course I have enough space, like 200Go.

ZeDuval

With the latest version, GM2 can't be started at all (crashing at launch), unless I deactivate the "Realtime Protection" part of Windows Defender. I don't know if this due to recent changes to GM or Win10, but I did not have this problem before. Maybe give it a try, at your own risk, yada yada, if you're in a safe network or whatever.

T

Tito Matho

With the latest version, GM2 can't be started at all (crashing at launch), unless I deactivate the "Realtime Protection" part of Windows Defender. I don't know if this due to recent changes to GM or Win10, but I did not have this problem before. Maybe give it a try, at your own risk, yada yada, if you're in a safe network or whatever.
Hello
I just tried launching GMS2 after desactivate my antivirus, it doesn't change a thing, keep crashing.