• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Syntax Error Window

So far I'm really liking GMS 2, but I have one problem that caused me massive frustration within 5 seconds of it showing up.

This window that shows up whenever the code editor detects a syntax error is absolutely maddening because it shows up over your code window if you click anywhere. So if you want to fix the error or quickly edit something else first, you can't just close the error window because that deselects the code editor and when you try to click back in the window shows up over the code you're trying to edit. Instead, you have to click and drag the window out of the way.

I looked around in the code editor preferences, so unless I missed something I don't see an option to disable it. Is there a plan to change this or add the option to disable it? I think the syntax errors should just show up at the bottom of the code editor like in Studio 1.x

EDIT: Just realized I can dock that window so it's out of the way! Problem solved, I guess!
EDIT 2: Just realized that when it detects another error it reopens the tab even if it's hidden.

So I guess my question still stands: Will we be able to disable this window?

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We're aware of this and still thinking of ways to fix this. I tend to have it very small at the bottom - but always open. This isn't a great solution, so we're still working on it.

One way to solve it is to show the error on a small fixed status bar and then I could expand it only when I want. The fact that it always expand is really frustating :)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We're looking at ways to display it inside the code window itself somehow.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, snapping it to the bottom is an okay temporary solution, but I like to have as much visible space in the workspace as possible. Good to know you're thinking about the problem though!

Jobo

GMC Elder
Mike is not being very helpful here!

Solution:
Preferences -> General Settings -> Compiling -> Untick "Automatically pop up Syntax Errors when an error occurs."

That preference should be off by default, the syntax errors window popping up while typing is absolutely horrendous but don't tell anyone I said that publicly

If you want to always see it, here's a tip:

gnysek

In this case he should say "never write code anymore", to be ironic, otherwise this irony still causes same bug. And that's a real irony.