• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Syntax error but no line indication.

DesArts

Sometimes I'll have the red status bar at the bottom but no indication for what line it is. I have to try run the game in order to find out. Here's an example.

Line 18 should be red. I could make any syntax error I want actually, nothing changes. Only the status bar.

I'm on the latest 2.3

It seems to only affect certain scripts/events as some work just fine and I haven't noticed a pattern. Reloading GM doesn't help. I have a fast syntax check speed but changing it doesn't seem to do anything.
Couldn't find much info about this but I'm wondering if I just have a setting wrong of if there's a known workaround. It's very annoying.

Thanks

chamaeleon

is there meant to be a random misplaced a on that line?
Yes, in the sense that @Desix wants there to be a red warning line across the line number area for that line, indicating there is a syntax issue there. Trying something along these lines myself I couldn't replicate it, using both an undefined and a defined variable. I got the expected and desired indication there's something wrong with the line where I typed it.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
What is the red error?
I've had an error where it spits a really long and random error,
selecting all the code and copying it, deleting it, then pasting it, fixes that issue for me

chamaeleon

The IDE doesn't generally show later errors if an earlier error exists, could that be an issue here?
Perhaps depending on the kind of syntax error and how much text the parser is gobbling up in order to get to a valid starting point further on. But having more than one error show is not too hard to fabricate.
GML:
if (a <) {
}

draw_self();a
if (x > 100) {
}
Shows the red error bar on line 1 and 4.

DesArts

There'd be at least 1 red line showing normally, but there isnt and I can confirm that was the only error there.

Last edited:

samspade

Perhaps depending on the kind of syntax error and how much text the parser is gobbling up in order to get to a valid starting point further on. But having more than one error show is not too hard to fabricate.
GML:
if (a <) {
}

draw_self();a
if (x > 100) {
}
Shows the red error bar on line 1 and 4.
Maybe it is syntax highlighting I'm thinking of.