• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Switch: Least evil conversion from 1080p (console) to 720p (handheld)

vdweller

Alright bros and bras, I could use your thoughts on the following issue:

Nintendo Switch supports 720p resolution when in handheld mode and 1080p resolution in console mode.

My pixel artsy, no-color-interpolation game originally was designed in a 384x216 resolution. Multiply it by 5 and you have a perfect 1920x1080 resolution. This means that the view allowed a 384x216 width/height. Other modes are supported too (like 4:3) but this is beside the point.

As it is now, things are OK with console mode (1080p). However things do not scale perfectly with 720p resolution. So, in your opinion, would it be better to...
  1. Increase the view area (say, make it 426x240 which scales well with 720p), effectively zooming out, and make everything smaller in an already relatively small screen but with a wider view area
  2. Decrease the view area (haven't worked the numbers yet) and do the opposite of 1, effectively zooming in and restricting player view area compared to other modes
  3. Render a 1152x648 surface on the center of the Switch screen (3x zoomed 384x216), maintaining view size compared to console mode but having some black screen space unused around the Switch screen (GUI layer can bypass this)
What is your opinion on the matter? I am especially interested in Switch owners and people who know how other games have handled this issue. Thanks in advance!

I'd say just try scaling 384x216 straight to 720p and see how it looks. The pixel distortion should be greatly reduced since the scaling is huge. I didn't have any problems when I upscaled something from 360x180 up to 720p. Granted, it was mostly lines and text, so that might've helped.

If straight upscaling looks awful, option 1 or 2 would be best. Don't do 3. People have a hard enough time reading text on the Switch display.