1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Switch App Video Support

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Crunchbucket, Feb 14, 2019 at 4:31 AM.

1. Crunchbucket

Crunchbucket Member

Hi. Does anyone know how I can playback HLS and / or DASH content on the SWITCH?

TU

2. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

You can't. No one has written an extension for this that I am aware of. But video playback is on their roadmap.

3. Crunchbucket

Crunchbucket Member

Roger that Samuel. Thanks. Yeah, then does that only leave Unity as the option that Hulu and YouTube have used for their streaming apps? Any other thoughts on where one would start for building a streaming app? Noob here.

4. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

I'm not sure about Hulu, but YouTube app is using the built-in browser (webkit-based).
    You'd probably have to get in touch with Nintendo for permission to make use of that though.

If it's strictly a streaming app, neither GM nor Unity seem like good choices really - you'd want video playback and to eat the least possible amount of battery life while doing so, thus without running a renderer on top.

5. Crunchbucket

Crunchbucket Member

Interesting as that would be the obvious way to get a lot of streaming services. But when I contacted the Switch Dev Relations team at Nintendo 2x in the last year, I was told decisively that there is not HTML web app support and no plans to have it. Again, noob question, but is the concept of a "native" app on this platform require either using Unity or GameMaker Studio 2?

Thanks so much for the very quick responses.