• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE SWF subimages in the room editor

LazyTomato

So I've been trying to get into using vector-format SWF sprites to make up the terrain in my platformer; mostly because said platformer is going to have a camera that zooms in and out, and I want that terrain to look good at any size.
I use asset layers to handle said terrain, carefully putting down bits and pieces in sprite form over the (invisible) base collision.
I DID notice a problem in the transition to SWF after doing it with rougher raster sprites for a bit, however.
Essentially what I'd do is have general sprites for specific types of pieces (e.g. long flat bits of ground, corner pieces, etc.), and then have different subimages in those sprites for the variations of these (be it different shading for different corner angles, or other small details).

It's in trying to actually do that with SWF sprites that it dies; I already know only the first sprite is visible in the base preview but didn't pay it much mind since I know it looks fine in-game.
However, the problem I noticed is that, when trying to set the sprite of an SWF sprite to ANYTHING other than 0 in the room editor, it causes every single SWF sprite in that layer to just completely die and turn into a white rectangle in its position. (which only fixes itself if I turn EVERY sprite in that layer back to subimage zero)
It looks FINE in-game still, but not being able to actually preview the terrain I'm laying down in the editor itself is going to be a gigantic pain in the rear if I want to actually go through with this kind of formatting.

I'm assuming this is some kind of bug? Or at least missing functionality in terms of actually previewing SWF files?
Because it kind of invalidates the entire approach I was taking to this and would force me to just straight-up manually export entire separate sprites for each frame/variant of each piece just so they can all be on subimage 0 and be _viewable_ in editing.

obscene

Definitely a bug. I doubt many people are using SWF and you are probably breaking new ground. It was the same when when Spine support started... few users and lots of bugs. I would recommend making a small example project and sending it in a bug report and then unfortunately finding a workaround for the foreseeable future.