• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Suspendee Engine Anyone?

Bingdom

Googledom
I was told before to use either Haxe or Python to develop an online server.

Use C if you want it to run on weak hardware.

This was what I was told. I don't have any experience with the languages/engines mentioned.

J

JayR

I was told before to use either Haxe or Python to develop an online server.

Use C if you want it to run on weak hardware.

This was what I was told. I don't have any experience with the languages/engines mentioned.
Ahh ok. I contacted the developer but he didn't get back to me. So... I'm thinking of going ahead to make the purchase but I might be needing someone familiar on this topic to help me out..

rIKmAN

Ahh ok. I contacted the developer but he didn't get back to me. So... I'm thinking of going ahead to make the purchase but I might be needing someone familiar on this topic to help me out..
The author of the asset is always the best person to ask for support - they wrote it.

If you can't get a reply from them then I would think twice before purchasing as that doesn't bode well for the future if you hit any problems or find any bugs/issues with the asset which may need fixing.

Last edited:
J

jaydee

There are many choices you can pick for developing the server.

Lets start with why many people suggest not using GMS to develop your server. You may find it doesn't even apply to you.
An application exported by GMS requires a GPU to run. Servers such as Virtual Private Servers services do not have GPUs. The application therefore cannot be run on the Server.

If you're just planning on hosting the server on your own home computer, just want to noodle around with networking, developing a LAN game, or P2P game, then this doesn't matter. If this is your case, then I'd suggest just going on youtube and checking out one of the several video tutorials available!

It only applies if you're developing a game that will be hosted by a server without a GPU. Such games are MMOs, or online games with lobby systems etc. In this case, you have a range of options to pick from. But I'd honestly recommend doing some introduction tutorials to any of them before jumping into your project. Python is certainly an option, but personally I'd suggest:

Java
Node.js
C family (C, C++ or C#)

These 3 are popular, and there are definitely people on these forums who can support you with these choices. And all are more similar in syntax and structure to GML than Python. I use C# personally, and there is plenty of free resources to learn these online.

I think its worth noting however, I'm very comfortable with networking and programming in various languages. I'm content with reading manuals to work out what methods/libraries I need to use, as opposed to tutorials. It depends on your level.

J

JayR

The author of the asset is always the best person to ask for support - they wrote it.

If you can't get a reply from them then I would think twice before purchasing as that doesn't bode well for the future if you hit any problems or find any bugs/issues with the asset which may need fixing.
That makes sense... Such a bummer. The engine seems to be easy to use given by the course's rating and the number of students enrolled..

J

JayR

There are many choices you can pick for developing the server.

Lets start with why many people suggest not using GMS to develop your server. You may find it doesn't even apply to you.
An application exported by GMS requires a GPU to run. Servers such as Virtual Private Servers services do not have GPUs. The application therefore cannot be run on the Server.

If you're just planning on hosting the server on your own home computer, just want to noodle around with networking, developing a LAN game, or P2P game, then this doesn't matter. If this is your case, then I'd suggest just going on youtube and checking out one of the several video tutorials available!

It only applies if you're developing a game that will be hosted by a server without a GPU. Such games are MMOs, or online games with lobby systems etc. In this case, you have a range of options to pick from. But I'd honestly recommend doing some introduction tutorials to any of them before jumping into your project. Python is certainly an option, but personally I'd suggest:

Java
Node.js
C family (C, C++ or C#)

These 3 are popular, and there are definitely people on these forums who can support you with these choices. And all are more similar in syntax and structure to GML than Python. I use C# personally, and there is plenty of free resources to learn these online.

I think its worth noting however, I'm very comfortable with networking and programming in various languages. I'm content with reading manuals to work out what methods/libraries I need to use, as opposed to tutorials. It depends on your level.
I'll pm you.