1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Surviving Titan - Open world survival sci-fi adventure game

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by dynamic_zero, Jul 22, 2019.

1. dynamic_zero

dynamic_zero Member

[​IMG]

I have been wanting to make a development thread for a while but the game wasn't quite there yet. Finally I think I am at a good point to start logging my progress! So without further ado I present to you Surviving Titan, an open world, randomly generated sci-fi survival adventure game.

You crash land on the planet Titan, suffering from amnesia and with the ships scanners unable to detect any signs of civilization you begin the task of exploring the planet looking for any signs of intelligent life. You are accompanied by a survival droid, standard issue for any escape pod. Their job is to keep you alive.

The game features a completely randomly generated open world to explore, with 7 core biomes that piece it together. Each biome has it's owned unique landscape, resources and inhabitants (friendly or otherwise). Some crafting recipes require item's that can only be gathered from specific biomes so exploration is key.

Here is a rough image of the current world biome map, it is still actively being improved but getting there -

[​IMG]

This game has a much large scope than anything I have ever made before, but also is alot more complete as I have iterated and improved mechanics from previous games. There are several tiers of crafting, with one of the final tiers giving you the ability to create a teleportation pad that allows you to move across the map almost instantly -

[​IMG]

The game currently features several skills for you to level up, including -

Mining
    Smithing
    Woodcutting
    Farming
    Fishing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leveling up these skills grants you points that can be spent to unlock perks or crafting recipes as-well as other things. The system is not fully fleshed out yet but here is an example of what the final skill tree system might look like -

[​IMG]

Here is a brief look at some of the higher tier items in the game and things you can discover -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be updating this thread with development and new features. If you have any ideas for the game please let me know.

That is all now now!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Red Phantom, sitebender, Bart and 2 others like this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

This looks really cool! Although it doesn't look very alien? Titan is a moon of Saturn... the screenshots seem to be setting up a "But we were on Earth all along!" kind of twist. Or maybe you're just using some preexisting survival-game art.

Toque and CameronScottCreations like this.
  3. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

looks excellent! Great pixel artwork! And the inventory system looks very well designed!

Red Phantom likes this.
  4. Toque

Toque Member

Looks interesting. Not sure I get how trees fit in titan theme. But hey its cool.

Red Phantom likes this.
  5. dynamic_zero

dynamic_zero Member

Thank you for the kind words guys. The planet Titan is not really based on any astronomy, although I considering it at the beginning of the project. Just to be clear I am using an existing tile-set for the ground called timefantasy and modifying it for my needs.

I have a couple new gifs today! Here is one of the cuter creatures you discover on Titan -

[​IMG]

And one of the more deadly! -

[​IMG]

I am working on adding a couple new crafting objects that I am pretty excited about, one of them is a beehive so you can maintain bee's that produce honey/wax.

I will post an update shortly!

sitebender and mamacato like this.
  6. dynamic_zero

dynamic_zero Member

Hiya guys,

A couple new gifs today. I have been working on adding several new enemies to the game as-well as some general quality of life features.

Some environments require protective clothing -

[​IMG]

New slime enemy type -

[​IMG]

I have been testing it on an android tablet this week too which was fun, controls still need some work!

That is all for today!

Red Phantom and sitebender like this.
  7. Morendral

Morendral Member

This sounds very similar to crashlands, which is a good game, and i mean it complimentary

8. dynamic_zero

dynamic_zero Member

Been doing alot of bug fixing over the last few days and not had much time for screenshots, but here is a little sneak peak of some new things I am adding!

surviving-titan-desert-discovery.png

Red Phantom and ReidDC like this.
  9. HighlandCoo

HighlandCoo Member

This looks realy good! But as others have said - it looks like "survival on a desert island" instead of on another planet. Maybe try some simple things like changing the color of the water or leaves. Adding some odd looking rocks. Oh and deffo change the color of the ground to something else than "sandy beach" :D

Apart from that it looks awesome. I will try to give it a play this weekend and give you some proper feedback!

edit - just realised there is no playable build. Oops! :D

10. dynamic_zero

dynamic_zero Member

I know where you are coming from, and I have had quite a bit of feedback with similar comments. I am going to think about it a bit more but perhaps will change the color palette slightly!

Most of the screenshots so far have been within the desert biome, but there is actually 6 other biomes within the game with varying terrain, some are more alien this this.

Here is a randomly generated world map, the desert is in the middle :)

[​IMG]

I will be posting some more screenshots in the days few days featuring some of the other biomes!

Red Phantom and HighlandCoo like this.
  11. dynamic_zero

dynamic_zero Member

Hiya guys,

I have been itching to post this update for a few days now, the last few weeks have been extremely productive with several new core features being added as-well as complete re-writes of existing mechanics. The games performance has been greatly improved by the re-write of the chunking mechanics, allowing much faster clearing and saving of resources in real-time so you never have to save the game.

This week I revisited the players status screen, from here you can view their skill levels, limb vitals and access their equipment and abilities screen. I think the layout still needs a little bit of work but displays just about everything it needs to -

[​IMG]

At long last there are now breeding mechanics in the game, allowing certain animals to be farmed for their resources from the safety of your base -

[​IMG]

Of-course this requires some way of getting the chickens to follow you, so I came up with 'Leashing'. This is a rare item that you cannot craft but once you have it does not degrade -

[​IMG]

Other work that has been taking place is in some of the lesser-explored biomes such as the snowlands and jungle. I have been adding some new discoveries to these biomes and adjusting their resources. Here is some sneak peaks -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly for this month I have been testing out some new, higher-tier weapons and their effects. This is the crossbow, it fires multiple low-damage rounds very quickly and has a slight stun/knockback effect. Is it overpowered currently? YES! Does it look cool? I think so -

[​IMG]

I have finally set up a discord! While I am not posting too much there right now I would love for some of you to register and chat. Shortly I will be testing newer versions of the game and discord members will be first to know -> https://discord.gg/rcxgECb

That is all for today, if you have any idea's or suggestions for the game please message me!

CMAllen and IndianaBones like this.
  12. dynamic_zero

dynamic_zero Member

Hiya guys,

I am now actively looking for testers! If anyone is interested please feel free to PM me or join the discord for the game -> https://discord.gg/rcxgECb

I will be rolling out testing on Android and IOS but this stage is windows only.

Many thanks.