Alpha Survival Zombie Game (RPG?)

N

Niclas

Hello there fellow game makers!
I'm here to present to you my current project and alpha, a survival game with a twist.

!! Please note that all textures, sounds and some functions are alpha and will likely change in the future !!

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/?2zcd77d0e6kqor6 (Outdated! I'll upload a new version when I have internet again. I'm currently on my phone)

CONTROLS:
'C' to open the crafting menu.
'E' to open the inventory.
'Left Mouse' to drag Items.
'Right Mouse while dragging an item' to show description!
To place an object click it and drag it to the position of your liking.
Press R to rotate while dragging the object.
Right-click to open chests.
And you can cut down trees btw.

The general Idea is that there's a randomly generated map with a few 'looting areas' aswell as an old camp. When you start, on day 1 you barely get any items and have to search the map for materials, weapons or other usefull stuff. You will be spawning in the old camp wich has been destroyed. With the materials you gather you will be able to build a strong fortress and get yourself ready for when the horde strikes in the night.

[/IMG]

Maybe you'll find a legendary weapon? Or the ultimate base-building material?

Discover new ways of defending yourself!

How long can you survive?

I'm trying to focus mainly on the survival and building elements for now but I'll try to make combat a little more entertaining aswell! If you have any Ideas or constructive criticism, please let me know! :)

Currently implemented: (UPDATED#1)

- Working inventory system
- Working building system
- Working crafting system
- Tiered looting system
- Survival stats
- Full day/night-cycle
- Enemys (zombies)
- Basic weapons
- Pistol
- A few food items
- Open world (WIP)

Todo-list:

- Map
- Minimap
- Random generation
- More materials/loot
- More building objects/possibilities
- Furniture?
- Traps
- Weapon and 'armor' crafting
- More enemys
- Better enemy AI

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gerald Tyler

Demo please, all you've given us is the concept so there's little way to provide any feedback. I do like the concept though.

So you said it's randomly generated...is it a rogue-like, rogue-lite, or is it more like Minecraft where the world is random but you keep the same world the entire time and just respawn at your base when you die? If not, is there any permanence such as character levels?

Is Night 1 going to be full difficulty right away like Minecraft, or the night waves start off weak in case the player had a bad spawn, and then get progressively harder as the game progresses?

Will there be randomly generated NPCs the player can recruit or trade with? Would need to be few and far between of course so that the player doesn't wind up forming their own army, haha.

Would suggest changing the color of the main character's shirt to something that contrasts better in a horde of zombies just to be easier for the player to see when the inevitable chaos ensues. Also slight re-design just so that the character's silhouette is distinguishable from the zombies.

Hard to tell from the screenshots, do the torches actually generate light? And does light level influence where zombies spawn?

What are you doing to make your zombies INTERESTING? Zombies are the single most boring enemy a game developer could make. They're basically a koopa, they just walk right at you and damage you when they reach you. Not saying they can't be good (Left 4 Dead), but think about special zombies so the player isn't just fighting the same 1 enemy the entire time. And no, making an "Elite" zombie with a pallet swap, double health, and double damage doesn't count as an interesting variation.

Remember to have a "Dusk" phase right before "Night" so that the player has a head's up that they need to return to their base ASAP. Can player's fast travel to their base, or must they walk the entire way? Is there any sort of mini map or radar to help them find their way back since everything is randomly generated? Would really suck to get lost at night.

Do materials respawn? Meaning would I be able to raid the same location multiple times, or do items only spawn in once?

Might I suggest a Tiered loot system based off distance from starting base? So basically on Day 1, the player is able to get quite a few Tier 1 drops and construction materials. But in order to get Tier 2, they have to travel a certain distance away from the base, and they spawn less frequently. For something powerful like Tier 3, the player might have to spend the majority of the day trying to travel and locate them, eventually getting stuck in the dead of night. This provides a Risk vs Reward mechanic which helps keep the game interesting. Again sort of like Minecraft, you're going to find the diamonds near the bottom of the world, not on the surface. You could also have increased drop rates during nighttime for the Risk/Reward, or maybe some "Magical" chests which only open during night.

Some traps would be nice. Maybe not machine gun turrets because they'd either have to have infinite ammo (And thus be OP) or consume ammo (And thus be near worthless). Maybe a "Turret" which is a baseball bat which just swings around whenever a zombie gets close to deal some bludgeoning damage + knockback. That seems like something a character would be able to make without an engineering degree. Or maybe some razor wire that the player can scatter about. Slows zombies while they pass through it, and deals slight damage, but doesn't consume any ammo.

N

Niclas

Demo please, all you've given us is the concept so there's little way to provide any feedback. I do like the concept though.
Well first of all, thanks for showing interest in the project! While I'm writing this, a demo is beeing uploaded to mediafire for you and everyone else to test. (Here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/?2zcd77d0e6kqor6)
Please keep in mind that all the sounds are a mess and this is still a very early alpha! I'll update this thread to include the controls, since there is no intro whatsoever yet.
Now to all your questions:

No, there is no random generation yet, but its something I'm considering to implement. I'm really not sure yet how this is supposed to turn out. Might aswell gather some ideas and inspiration first.
Since there is no random generation there's also only one spawn atm.

I'd say: The game getting harder as the player progresses sounds like a good idea!

And yeah, I thought about changing the characters shirt color aswell but right now I'm focusing on adding the main gameplay mechanics. Maybe there'll be different characters to select from. With different stats I suppose?`

The torches DO generate light, but it doesnt affect the game in any way yet. Apart from lighting the surrounding of course. I'm thinking that lights should attract zombies (or keep them away?)

Zombies... They indeed can be pretty boring. I thought about adding super fast ones that you should avoid, to add some extra risk. Maybe they only show up at night? And of course some giant zombies that destroy your base like its made of butter. (Maybe)

There's DAWN, DAY, DUSK, and NIGHT. Right now the zombies just spawn randomly wether its day or night. I think I'll increase the spawning rate at night though.

Fast traveling kinda reduces the danger of searching for good loot, am I right? Or maybe add it but limit it to daytime only? There's no minimap yet, nor a big map, but both of them are on my todo list!
Materials do not respawn yet, but I'll add that! Should trees regrow aswell?

The Tiered loot system is a great Idea! I'll definitely consider it! But maybe instead of beeing further away, the locations are just much harder to loot? Or both?
And the increased drop rates during night time are definitely on my todo-list.
Traps are a nice Idea aswell! What about blueprints that you can find, the harder they were to get, the better the trap/construction, that you can learn to build?

Thanks again for all the ideas! But for now I'm really trying to get a good base. And for that I'd love you to test the demo and to tell me whats fun, and what isnt, so I can improve the game where needed!

Sincerely,

Niclas